Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Simple ! Don't Build Roads Over Bogs

Bizarra

By Kathryn Hayes

Friday June 25 2010

A MAJOR operation is under way to finish a section of a busy motorway after part of the road collapsed into a bog.

Road authorities last night confirmed that the final section of the Limerick to Nenagh bypass would be completed by the end of the year.

The €425m road -- which was due to open last year -- will link the Limerick southern ring road with the Nenagh bypass.

The construction of the 38km road from Annacotty to Nenagh, Tipperary, was contracted to Bothar Hibernian almost four years ago and was due for completion in May 2009.

Difficulties

However, the contractors ran into serious difficulties at Anaholty bog, where the almost-completed road collapsed earlier this year.

It is understood that thousands of steel-reinforced concrete piles were driven into the bog to support the sinking road.

But following the collapse of the road surface, a concrete and steel bridge is to be constructed over the entire area in the hope of establishing a stable base for the road.

The National Roads Authority (NRA) says the final section of the Limerick-to-Nenagh road will open by the end of the year.

"We are being reassured by the contractor that the project will be completed by the end of the year, but this is a design-built contract so any of the costs incurred due to difficulties with the Anaholty bog is borne by the contractor," an NRA spokesman said.

"We are obviously disappointed (with the delay) as we would liked to have seen the public benefit sooner, but obviously the contractor is dealing with a difficult situation." Limerick County Council said it was satisfied that the contractor was dealing with the difficulties as best it could.

But a spokesman for the council stressed that the contract company must itself address any difficulties that arise during the construction of the motorway.

"Under the terms of the contract between Limerick council and Bothar Hibernian, any issues arising from the construction of the motorway are to be addressed by the contractor in question," he said.

I bet someboggy got in the sh*t over that then :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Yes I admit it, my mind is a quagmire of useless information, I wonder if Jodie Marsh will open the new motorway or will she get bogged down in red tape? Fen again, they might get swampy to do it :yes:

Yes I admit it, my mind is a quagmire of useless information, I wonder if Jodie Marsh will open the new motorway or will she get bogged down in red tape? Fen again, they might get swampy to do it yes.gif

Kingo thumbsup.gif

Are we on the same tablets ??? cool.gif

"

But following the collapse of the road surface, a concrete and steel bridge is to be constructed over the entire area in the HOPE of establishing a stable base for the road."

:oops:

"

But following the collapse of the road surface, a concrete and steel bridge is to be constructed over the entire area in the HOPE of establishing a stable base for the road."

oops.gif

I told you concreting over Ireland was best :D

I think we probably are, however I need a stronger dose, as I am unable to think of any more bog connections :rolleyes: It maybe that I'm in holiday mode and dont give a bullrush ;)

This thread has reach a "Punning Cringe-worth" of 65/100 and it's rising....

and it's rising....

Where is Bizarra when you need him? Probably in Latvian mode whilst trying to clean concrete off his wellies. As for my old double barrelled mucker, Punning Cringe-Worth, I last heard he was in prison for trying it on with his house keeper Miss Funny-!Removed! of old Dublin town

I thought it sounded like a name when I thought of it! :lol: It reminds me of Buzz-Killington

I think we probably are, however I need a stronger dose, as I am unable to think of any more bog connections rolleyes.gif It maybe that I'm in holiday mode and dont give a bullrush wink.gif

Kingo thumbsup.gif

Sorry I missed the fun I was in the Bog, I won't get Mired down explaining why... It's best you Reed it.

Suffice to say that it was decaying fully by acidic and anaerobic conditions, anyway the old Sod wouldn't understand it unlike my mate Peat who Sedge-sted this repy ... biggrin.gif

I'd heather not to get bogged down in this interchange. :yawn:

I don't want steel pylons up my jaxi to keep me from getting mired down. I wouldn't moss that.

Still, Erica might be there for a rePeat fLing :yes:

I know the Project manager! His names Peat !!

You don't mean old Peat Marsh ?

You don't mean old Peat Marsh ?

He was a soft lad!

bit of a wet sod more like

That's Bullrushes, he is not at all Reedy.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links