Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fitting New Head Gasket

Bill Donald

Help!

Help!

I need the correct head torque settings

As always just when you need the car some it starts to play up,

I have a 1991 3 ltr Supra turbo (only the one)turbo that is)

While doing a quick service before going on short break I noticed a discolouration in the oil that I was about to change, fearing the worst left the car at home and used the wife's

Just as I thought when stripping it down Head gasket gone between 5&6.

I was rather annoyed because when stripping it down nut's and bolts not as tight as I would have thought all the hard one's to get to were loose and a lot of markings in all the relevant places.

Ah well it helps put it all back when done.

I have checked the head for distortion in all directions and it all looks good so I have reground by hand all the valves keeping every set together, ( I know the trouble that can happen when mixed up Been there and done that when younger))

Now on the build up and I need someone Who know's what they are talking about to give me a Correct Torque setting for the head bolts (New Ones)

Can any one out there help There seams to be so many things said about this

After doing so much I don't want to mess it up now Help

Help!

Help!

While doing a quick service before going on short break I noticed a discolouration in the oil that I was about to change, fearing the worst left the car at home and used the wife's

I was rather annoyed because when stripping it down nut's and bolts not as tight as I would have thought all the hard one's to get to were loose and a lot of markings in all the relevant places.

I have checked the head for distortion in all directions and it all looks good so I have reground by hand all the valves keeping every set together, ( I know the trouble that can happen when mixed up Been there and done that when younger))

Now on the build up and I need someone Who know's what they are talking about to give me a Correct Torque setting for the head bolts (New Ones)

Do you have the engine code should be on timing cover

Help!

Help!

Here you go Bill I hope this helps......and welcome t the club

Les :thumbsup:

Supra.jpg

Hi Les

Engine code 7m GTE

Thanks , just a little worried 78nm is just around about 50 ft lb.

That would seam to be what Toyota said at the start and to me that is the main problem in blown head gaskets.

This seams a little on the light side to me.

On reading everybody on-line the concensses seams to be around the 72 ft lb

But Thanks all the other setting are a great help.

I am still worried regarding the head torque though.

Here's the next problem, as I said it was strange that there were loose nuts about the place mainly regarding the exhaust manifold.

Well it has turned out to be a right pain in the butt, the last builder of this engine has over tightened the furthest to the rear studs "thanks for nothing" some people just don't get it regarding torque settings and what there are for.

Glad I spotted them before putting the head on.

NOW any Engineers out there? the original Studs would appear to be, Correct me if I am wrong 9/16 msn

I intend to replace all the studs and use brass nuts with spring washers ( OK? )

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/helpsmilie.gif

The question is this ............................

What size can I bore it out to safely then re tap to ?

Les Thanks again

I was amassed by your quick response and welcome :help:

With the 4a-GE you do it to 39Nm and then do 3 90 degree turns in stages.

Maybe you can work out a similar system?

Thanks btw for the answer!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links