Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2003 Rav 4 Hv

cashsteve

Hi, my wife currently owns a 1996 Rav 4 which we are looking to upgrade to a newer model. We are considering a 2003 RAV 4 2.0 HV but I understand that some RAV's were not 4WD. Is this just appliciable to the 1.8 as we have already walked away from one. Are all 2.0 cars 4WD? I dont want to make a mistake. Sorry to those of you in the know if this seems to be a daft question.

Hi, my wife currently owns a 1996 Rav 4 which we are looking to upgrade to a newer model. We are considering a 2003 RAV 4 2.0 HV but I understand that some RAV's were not 4WD. Is this just appliciable to the 1.8 as we have already walked away from one. Are all 2.0 cars 4WD? I dont want to make a mistake. Sorry to those of you in the know if this seems to be a daft question.

Yes - 1.8 FWD, 2.0 4WD.

Did you read the article in the pinned section? It will give you more info.

Yes - 1.8 FWD, 2.0 4WD.

Did you read the article in the pinned section? It will give you more info.

Thanks for that, I thought I was ok with the 2.0 but if you dont mind may i just ask another thing or two? What does HV stand for and am I correct in that this car has a timing chain and not a belt. Thanks again. We were both impressed with the 96 RAV so hopefully this will be a good improvement on that.

They have timing chains on the petrols with the VVTi engine. The VX is the 1.8 FWD, the NRG is the 3 door and the GX and VX are just different trim levels of the 5 door 2.0 VVTi.

In 2004 they facelifted the range (easily identifiable by the round fog lights) and upped the spec. They were then called XT3, XT4 and XT5. There was also a limited edition Granite model with 17 inch wheels (3 and 5 door 4WD). Towards the end they also brought in a loaded XT-R. Any of these models are better if you can afford as they have ABS, upgraded safety systems and in some cases VSC. Just depends if your budget will run to it.

Just to add a couple of things, The 2003 model also has abs in case Anchs post confuses you (I find mine very sensitive) and although it's chain for the cams there is an auxiliary belt that powers other things such as water pump.Did wonder what you meant by HV though.

Thanks for that, I think I was confused as it says HV on the front wings although it is a 2.0 VVTI. It is a vast improvement on the wifes 96 car both in comfort and ride (To be expected I suppose). Another daft question tho, how do i change the computer on the radio to read in MPG, I have followed the book but it does not seem to want to change. thanks again for the help

Can you show us a photo of this HV Badge?

Also, changing the reading is easy but I can't remember how. Somebody will tell you shortly though!

It does sound like NV rather than HV. The setting to mpg has come up fairly recently so it's worth doing a search on here.Procedure in the book should work.(radio on of course)

The mpg setting is probably like this:

You should have a circular knob top right labelled "Audio control".

Press it in once. You should see "BAS" (Audio Bass level setting).

Press it again. You get "TRE" (treble).

Press again -> "FAD" front/rear fader.

Press again -> "BAL" Balance

Press again -> "Fuel". The one you want.

Now rotate the knob and the lower text on the display should cycle between km/l -> l/100km -> mpg.

leave it showing mpg.

Press another button to get out of this mode (say trip/navi) or it should revert back after a few seconds.

Another one that comes up very often. A pinned FAQ might be an answer.

Thanks very much for all your help, I have sorted the MPG display out and have discovered that it is indeed an NV not HV, (Wife says I shouldn't have gone to ----savers I still can't see properly).

Not had the car long as yet but very impressed with it so far as we were with the old one it has had one previous owner and a full dealer service history with it, seems to be much better built etc than my French Lion.

I will be using the site again as I have found everyone to be helpfull and it saved me garage bills on the last car.

Thanks

as far i know a NV with 1.8 petrol engine is only a FWD (Front Wheel Drive) vehicle :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links