Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Real Ife Mpg

Velocette

Hi All,

Im sure that my comments and questions have been asked so many times before, but ive tried reading as many forums as possible about the Gen2 T3 Prius.

Currently have a 07 Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 petrol which has now done 35k miles and so im now looking to change. I average around about 20 mile trips mostly A roads and town driving at a time (on 'flat' Norfolk, UK roads), and currently average 41 mpg.

Ive now test driven a T3 Prius and was very impressed with the vehicle (09 plate with 10k miles), but just wondered what sort of mpg I might get with my type of driving, can I expect better than my current focus? as i estimate that i need at least 52mpg for the car to come financially even with a new 10 plate focus zetec 1.6 petrol over 3 years and 10k miles a year.

Also, what are residual values like? ie. if I kept it for 3 to 5 years?

Thanks for your comments and help on this question, and any advice that you have for me would greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sarge

I would suspect that if your Ford could do 41mpg, then the traffic is quite smooth flowing where you commute? I drove through London on a Saturday morning with little traffic, I managed to get 70mpg as the roads there are pretty flat. Even travelling from Bristol to Taunton using the A roads with quite a few hilly roads, 4 people in car and a boot full I managed 68mpg through the 30 miles drive. Just to give you an idea.

Thanks very much for your insight. Its a tough decision, as on one had I have a known quantity (the focus) or the technology of the Prius.

Whats the servicing and parts like? Ive been told the japanese bits are a lot more than fords!?

Thanks very much for your insight. Its a tough decision, as on one had I have a known quantity (the focus) or the technology of the Prius.

Whats the servicing and parts like? Ive been told the japanese bits are a lot more than fords!?

Bit fords don't have a 5 year warranty????

Service plan on my Prius t-spirit gen3 is 14 quid a month for 32 months assuming 10k per year - covers 3 services.

Spares - dunno, never had any in 25 years of toyota's....

Decision focus/prius - no contest, prius every time... No road tax, very little petrol, loads of interest from other users - and I've yet to find one that's been nicked??? Although threre may be others that know different??

Bit fords don't have a 5 year warranty????

Service plan on my Prius t-spirit gen3 is 14 quid a month for 32 months assuming 10k per year - covers 3 services.

Spares - dunno, never had any in 25 years of toyota's....

Decision focus/prius - no contest, prius every time... No road tax, very little petrol, loads of interest from other users - and I've yet to find one that's been nicked??? Although threre may be others that know different??

I agree - you wouldn't regret buying the Prius.

The Gen 2 has a warranty on the hybrid components for 8 years or 100,000 miles, that includes the HV Battery, hybrid transaxle and the inverter - and it's still a better warranty than even the revised Gen 3 warranty terms as the Gen 2 warranty covers more hybrid components.

The MFD (Multi function Display - the 7" crt display in the dash) is not covered on the hybrid warranty. The rough rule of thumb that I've formed (maybe inaccurate) is that each major part will cost about 2K, so a replacement MFD would be 2K and so would a Sat-Nav ECU (although the later would not be applicable as it is not fitted to a T3).

Most owners are fortunate and the only replacement parts are items such as oil/filter changes. I seem to recall that there is a really big service at 90,000 miles, lots of vital coolant fluids get replaced then.

How does your 41 mpg compare with other Ford Focus owners? It looks very good for a petrol engine? Is it an automatic?

Hmmm, im not sure how it compares to other focus drivers.

Its a manual transmission.

I think im just good at driving efficiently - money in my pocket is better than the Governments I think.

The Prius has the technology that an efficient driver can make good use of if they are willing to adapt. Search for Prius and hypermiler - some of the Japanese records are astonishing (e.g. links from PriusChat Gen II Prius Fuel Economy).

Hmmm, im not sure how it compares to other focus drivers.

Its a manual transmission.

I think im just good at driving efficiently - money in my pocket is better than the Governments I think.

Then I think you'll love the Prius! :thumbsup:

To put your mind at rest regarding economy - if I get any less than 45 mpg average over a whole tank, then there's something wrong. And that's driving round town for 10 hours a day including two rush hours and with a few hills thrown in for good measure.

Click on the fuelly link and it should take you to my mpg stats over the last 12 months.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links