Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Needs Doing On A T-Sport?

sheepscloth

Hi Guys

After long cosiderations I am now about to buy a 5dr CTS.

I would ideally love a Civic Type-R but it only comes as a 3dr so it is out of the game.

I also really love the fact the the 5dr CTS is so anonumous, it totally looks like a normal corolla, exactly what i am after as the car will be parked on the street.

The car will be my daily driver/ family car, but I do go to the Nurburgring + track days a once/twice a year.

Now looking at the various reviews and forums I found the following:

Reviews:

In reviews the CTS generally loose out to the CTR on the handling, saying the CTS is too soft and rolls.

Now the CTS runs 196/55-16 tyres standard, the CTR runs 205/45-17, also the CTR sits on lower/stiffer springs.

So in all fairness none of the reviews were really comparing apples for apples.

I plan to do the following mods straight away to the CTS: Lowering springs( Eibach 30mm drop), Rear anti roll bar( whiteline).

I will upgrade the tyres/wheels later, once the existing tyres are worn down. either 215/50-16 on existing rims or 215/45-17 on new rims. ( don't want 18" wheels)

The question is how will the CTS compare to the CTR once I have done my mods?

Later mods will be:

*Uprated shocks once the original needs replacing, considering either Bistein or Koni( don't want coilovers, as I don't want to be adjusting it all the time). Has any one tried the Bilstein B8's?

*Strut Brace, does it make a real difference?

*Upgraded brake pads/ disks/ lines: What can you recommend?

Forums

Reading the forums is reassuring as it seems like most CTS owners are really happy with their cars.

Can't wait to get the car.

Cheers

hi , ive got the lowering springs and whiteline rear ARB and its helps alot with the handling but it still feels too soft at high speeds.The CTR will always have better handling coz its got LSD and independant suspension all round.The CTS can still be driven fast its just it doesnt feel as nice as a CTR will but you get used to the CTS's softness and for fast road use its fine.

uprated shocks would be a good mod . most members on here go for coilovers rather than shocks but i myself would also like to get shocks.i think koni yellow are extremely hard.Bilsteins might be an option.

mintex pads seem to be the way to go . not sure about strut brace.

yes most members love these cars . i certainly love mine .the engine is a beaut the car is a great all rounder.people dont expect it to be quick.

i don't have one of these but from my knowledge i'd say most members on here choose drilled and grooved discs (bought via eBay manufacturered by motor racing company) along with mintex pads or ebc red stuff pads. some members also choose mintex discs and pads all round. on the wheels issue i'd say choose a 17" wheel you like and go with either 215/40R17 or 215/45R17 tyres this will help with stability a lot.

general looks wise personally i like a medium (mine is 50% tint) tint on the back 3 windows of the car remember front tint is now illegal and any sort of "legal" front tint offered may be so light it's not worth paying for.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I will go for a CTS, and uprate springs, ARB, wheels and take it from there.

I think with the mods it will be just fine.

Cheers

BTW: didn't think the CTR had LSD? Have any of you guys fitted an LSD to your CTS? I wouldn't really think it would be necessary below 200bHp.

yes your right the uk model CTR doesnt come with LSD .thought it did ,but turns out it doesnt . yes a few have fitted them and there supposed to be one of the best mods.yes you do need them .the CTS wheel spins like mad on corners.

thanks for the LSD tip ( almost wrote trip)

which LSD would you recommend quaife or TRD? other?

I found this one from Quaife: http://www.quaife.co.uk/catalogue/products/qdf15e-2

Fensport has got a couple listed too, which one would be best?

I guess once you start modifying you can't stop!

But there must come a point where it just gets stupid, on the other hand a hobby is a hobby and it doesn't always have to make financial sense!

Will (ckman) has a great setup with clutch system and lsd, not sure what lsd he has though.

To be honest i'd avoid mintex, i have them and since cleaning the brakes up mine are squeaking because the pad has lifted from the base therefore theres not much of a gap but the area thats raised is actually touching the disc!!

It could just be being unlucky withthe sets of pads, but both sides have done it!!

As for suspensions, most that have fitted the whiteline anti roll bar has given great reviews, i've lowered mine 45mm on H&R with standard shocks and i have rear strut tower bar, handling is far better but either uprated shocks or coilys would be a lot more beneficial :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links