Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rare Mushroom Blamed For Mystery Deaths In China

Raistlin

_48355509_009797882-1.jpg

A tiny mushroom, little known to scientists, is behind some 400 sudden deaths in China, experts say.

For 30 years, during the rainy season, scores of villagers in Yunnan province have died suddenly of cardiac arrest.

Following a five-year investigation, researchers from the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Beijing say they have the culprit.

The mushroom, know as Little White, belongs to the Trogia genus and has three toxic amino acids, experts say.

Researchers found that the deaths, known as Yunnan Sudden Death Syndrome, occurred almost always during rainy season (from June to August), and at an altitude of 1800-2400m (5900-7900ft).

"We heard amazing stories about how people would drop dead in the middle of a conversation," Zhang Shu, a cardiologist who took part in the CDC study, told Science magazine.

"About two-thirds of victims, in the hours before death experienced symptoms such as heart palpitations, nausea, dizziness, seizures and fatigue," he said.

The investigation was initially hampered by language barriers, and the remote locations of the Yunnan villages.

However, in 2008, the scientists noted that the Little White mushroom was often found in the homes where people had died.

Yunnan province is well-known for its wild mushrooms, many of which are exported at high prices.

Families, who make their living by collecting and selling the fungi, eat the Little White as it has no commercial value - it is too small and turns brown shortly after being picked.

A campaign to warn people against eating the tiny mushrooms has dramatically reduced the number of deaths. There have been no reported deaths so far this year.

However, the scientists are carrying out further tests to find out why the mushroom is so lethal, as testing found the mushroom contained toxins, though not enough to be deadly.

"What's happening in Yunnan isn't expected from any other mushroom toxin," said Robert Fontaine, a US epidemiologist who took part in the investigation.

"What we have here is a toxin that is picking off vulnerable people," he told Science.

He suggested that the toxins could be acting together with high concentrations of barium, a heavy metal, in the local water supply.

Pity they can't be exported :( There WOULD be a market for them. :thumbsup:

Today, at the moment, I'd be a Customer :angry:

Why what's up ?

Bad day when I posted :crybaby:

it has improved considerably now :thumbsup: Long may it last :unsure:

It's amazing what a bit of executive relief can do :D

It's amazing what a bit of executive relief can do :D

Executive ? I hope you don't mean Management or Mods :blink:

I'm not that desperate ! :unsure:

It's amazing what a bit of executive relief can do biggrin.gif

I'm not that desperate ! unsure.gif

To be banned banned.gif

It's amazing what a bit of executive relief can do biggrin.gif

I'm not that desperate ! unsure.gif

To be banned banned.gif

Bound to happen :lol: I've gotten away with murder, so far :angel_not:

They can't throw you out, When you haven't joined... yahoo.gif

They can't throw you out, When you haven't joined... yahoo.gif

You, my friend, are living on the edge then! :fear: Be afraid, be very afraid! :thumbsup:

How did you manage to prise your wallet open, anyway? Blacksmith ? :lol2:

I got one of my minions to pay...

I got one of my minions to pay...

Foolish Minion :yes: I bet he never saw a cent of it back :rolleyes: Still he probably had the choice between doing that & being banished for eternity to the deepest nether regions of your domain :fear: :hokus-pokus:

As if they have a choice... angel_not.gif

Exercising your rights as Lord of the Manor? :yahoo:

No ! They only apply to Virgins on their Wedding night :blush: The Theory of it was to improve the gene pool. The fact was....... it had the opposite effect viz Raist as a glaring example :sneaky2::nopity::laughing:

Cream always floats to the top thumbsup.gif

Especially when it has gone sour :lol:

Sorry to break the bad news , but you aren't the Cream of any crop :rolleyes:

Don't worry, in your next incarnation you might return as a crab & be as snug as a Bug in a Rug

:oops: Have I accidentally done Double entendres....again :ermm:

Cream doesn't come from a crop, I think that's where you might be going wrong. thumbsup.gif

Also, not once did I suggest I was superior, I merely made a statement of fact - Cream floats.

If from that you derive that I am somewhat better than you then...

Who am I to argue yahoo.gif

Cream doesn't come from a crop, I think that's where you might be going wrong. thumbsup.gif

Also, not once did I suggest I was superior, I merely made a statement of fact - Cream floats.

If from that you derive that I am somewhat better than you then...

Who am I to argue yahoo.gif

Never heard of "Cream of the Crop ?" :eek::blink:

Don't worry :rolleyes: We are all aware of your " Superiority Complex" & make allowances for it :flowers: It is treatable, but a long process :doctor: or take the place of one of your Minions for a long time - that should do it :lol2:

As regards "Who am I to argue ? :argue: Answer ?........ No better man :thumbsup:

Capitulation (Lat. capitulum, a little head or division; capitulare, to treat upon terms), an agreement in time of war for the surrender to a hostile armed force of a particular body of troops, a town or a territory.

It is an ordinary incident of war, and therefore no previous instructions from the captors' government are required before finally settling the conditions of capitulation. The most usual of such conditions are freedom of religion and security of private property on the one hand, and a promise not to bear arms within a certain period on the other.

Such agreements may be rashly concluded with an inferior officer, on whose authority the enemy are not in the actual position of the war entitled to place reliance. When an agreement is made by an officer who has not the proper authority or who has exceeded the limits of his authority, it is termed a sponsion, and, to be binding, must be confirmed by express or tacit ratification.

I have yet hear the terms of your surrender <_<

They had better be abject. I shall cogitate & meditate upon them & give you my answer at my convenience [outdoor, but with a flush toilet & Newspaper provided]

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links