Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Unhealthy Living 'almost Universal' In Scotland

Raistlin

_48044211_004934011-1.jpg

Unhealthy living is almost universal in Scotland, with virtually everyone in the country putting themselves at risk, according to a study.

Glasgow University researchers analysed data from 6,574 people who took part in the 2003 Scottish Health Survey.

They identified five factors which contributed most to disease in richer countries - smoking, drinking, poor diet, physical inactivity and obesity.

The report found that 97% of Scots had at least one of the risk factors.

Some 55% of the population had three or more, while 20% had four or all five risk factors. Poverty was found to increase the risks.

Writing in the online journal BMC Public Health, the researchers concluded: "The Scottish population seems to be living dangerously.

"Considering five major risk factors to health - cigarette smoking, heavy alcohol consumption, poor diet, physical inactivity, and overweight - nearly the whole adult population (97.5%) have at least one behavioural risk factor."

The study was led by Dr David Conway, who said: "Our analysis shows that around two-thirds of the Scottish population is overweight or obese, a similar proportion are not sufficiently physically active, and most people have a poor diet. It is just that it is not the same majority for each factor.

"The most important determinants for multiple risk factors were low educational attainment and residence in our most deprived communities."

He added that the true picture may be even worse due to respondents putting a positive spin on their behaviour.

The Scottish results are similar to those in a recent survey of English behaviour, and suggest both nations are more unhealthy than many European countries, and even North America.

Scotland has earned as unenviable reputation as the "sick man" of Europe in recent years.

The country has higher death rates from cancer, heart disease and stroke than anywhere else in the UK.

The report said that among men, Scotland had more than twice as many alcohol-related deaths than England.

It is interesting reading that report.... they say 'poverty' is a factor huh.gif

Now surely poor people should not have enough money to buy booze, or tobacco or too much crap food such as take-aways etc.

Am I the only one in thinking along these lines huh.gifhuh.gif

A report has just been issued saying that 1 in 5 people in Jersey ( channel islands ) die before the age of 65. That is not good news!

6,574 people surveyed from a population of what, over 5 million ? What a load of b^llocks, so much for funding

cuts, maybe Glasgow University should do a study on that load of monks in Devon who produce a tonic wine with

70? percent caffiene. This stuff causes real health problems here, especially when it comes to stabbings, GBH

murder even by the low life who drink it. And there are a lot of them. And you think monks are suppose to be men

of god ? Yeah right. :censor: :censor:

A report has just been issued saying that 1 in 5 people in Jersey ( channel islands ) die before the age of 65. That is not good news!

Been going to Jersey for over 15 years, beatutiful place, have often been envious of the

lifestyle Jersey people have. But they also have the highest rate of alchaholism in the

world. Think its down to dark winters and a bit of cabin fever because you are stuck on

a small island, nothing much to do in winter so just get drunk. And a lot of Jersey residents

have plenty of money to do it.

It is interesting reading that report.... they say 'poverty' is a factor huh.gif

Now surely poor people should not have enough money to buy booze, or tobacco or too much crap food such as take-aways etc.

Am I the only one in thinking along these lines huh.gifhuh.gif

The other side of that coin, Steve, is that if a person is poor, first priorities are Tobacco & Booze. Therefore they eat junk food which is cheap and comes 3rd on the list of priorities. It is easy to condemn, but if you are a smoker, as I am, and hadn't any tobacco when I get up in the morning, I simply wouldn't want to get up. I am not a booze addict, but imagine it to be the same.

In a dull, poor & hopeless life, these make the day seem worth getting through & junk food takes the ache out of the stomach. Anything to brighten a hopeless, miserable day. :(

I am not saying it is right, but it is a fact of life & early death

Lifes fatal whatever you do !

It may improve the odds but living healthily is no guarantee of longevity (although it might seem that way :lol: )

Happiness and contentment in the life span you do recieve is far more important :thumbsup:

6,574 people surveyed from a population of what, over 5 million ? What a load of b^llocks, so much for funding

cuts, maybe Glasgow University should do a study on that load of monks in Devon who produce a tonic wine with

70? percent caffiene. This stuff causes real health problems here, especially when it comes to stabbings, GBH

murder even by the low life who drink it. And there are a lot of them. And you think monks are suppose to be men

There is nothing wrong with the tonic wine produced at Buckfast Abbey, Devon. It is a 'TONIC WINE', you can't allow for anyone who mis-uses it, like any other alcohol.

There is nothing wrong with the tonic wine produced at Buckfast Abbey, Devon. It is a 'TONIC WINE', you can't allow for anyone who mis-uses it, like any other alcohol.

:clap:

If you don't live here and you don't understand issues..........

I could argue about the background to health issues that date back to the times when invaders to England attempted to take over Scotland 80 years ago but its a kind of 'pearls to pigs' argument.

In my esteemed role in a major research charity in Scotland, which has identified 4,000,000 people as disabled in the Uk, I can only say that 90% of these poor folk live outside Scotland, and get the same lousy services as us up here. If you want something different then shout!!

I dont subscribe to that "You are poor therefore you eat junk food" theory. The problem with junk food is that it is far too easy to buy, it is certainly NOT cheap. A meal of meat and 2 veg would be cheaper but not as convenient to consume. As for booze and !Removed!, that has always amazed me how you cant afford to cloth your kids but can go to the pub and stand outside smoking !Removed!! The priorites are wrong somewhere IMHO

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links