Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pitted Brake Discs

CirrusRav1

My RAV4 V2 failed the MOT and had an advisory for 'pitted' brake discs (front and rear). The car has been standing for a year and now I am looking to put her back on the road. I will probably change the pads for the sake of it, but as for discs, is there something I can do to make them a little better and to get rid of any surface rust? I have run my fingers across the breadth of each disc and they don't seem too bad but any little hints or tips would be gratefully received.

Suppose first relevant question is what mileage have they done?

Big Kev.

Well you could give it a good run then look again. You will be surprised how much they will clean up on their own.

Can you post a photo?

Not sure as to the mileage Big Kev as I haven't had the car long - bought as an MOT failure. I am tempted to do as Anchorman suggests and simply take the car out and give the brake discs a bit of 'action' and see how they fair. Will try and get a photo up too.

If its only an advisory, run the car as ancs says which will give the pads a chance to clean the rust off the brakes - some people actually get discs with holes drilled into them so pitting aint that critical! Keep an eye on the pads just to make sure they don't wear away to the metal ....should be ok, speshully as the brakes didn't fail the test.

Just be careful running about with no MOT

Trev..

No, I have a few cars and bikes and this one is SORND

Ah but it's a bit like the chicken and egg situation. How are you going to get the pads to rub off the rust without running about. :wacko:

Cheers. Trev..

Ah but it's a bit like the chicken and egg situation. How are you going to get the pads to rub off the rust without running about. :wacko:

Cheers. Trev..

Ah Trev, I have a friend who has a lot of land ;)

lot of land????

Must know the Minister of defence :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lot of land????

Must know the Minister of defence :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Erm, in years gone by - yes. How I miss the airfields! Now just lots of rural land where I live!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links