Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New front discs after 154.000 km.

nielshm

My front brakes was shaking like crazy, and both discs was warped. Not worn out, but if the discs should be resurfaced, they would hit minimum thickness.

Original brakepads was reused with 9 mm. left, they can last another 100.000 km.

Rear brakes are just fine, and doesn't require replacement for a long time.

I'm impressed with the garage, trying to make the job as simple and cheap as possible. With a high milage, I wouldn't be surprised if they had to replace the lot.

• Like 3

The cost saving is commendable, indeed. For myself, I would prefer for both components to be replaced if either of them is worn unevenly or out of shape (this will always be the case with discs because they wear a little faster at the outer circumference). But I am no expert and, with 9mm remaining after such a long distance, it's clear that you're very easy on your brakes. :smile:

• Like 2

That's an excellent distance, I'd thought the front disk and pads lasting 60k miles on my Auris was good.

I'd believed that pads should be changed whenever disks are? It used to be to stop squeaking, but maybe they don't have to now.

• Like 2

Good to replace the brake pads too when new discs are installed, or file the old pads to remove 1mm top layer. 
This helps bed in process and prevent from discs glaze and future vibrations, squeaking problems.
A 100k km it’s a good result, not the longest for a hybrid but still good.
I am surprised actually that the rear ones didn’t go first, on most cars post 2000 year the rear pads wear faster than front ones. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Good to replace the brake pads too when new discs are installed, or file the old pads to remove 1mm top layer. 
This helps bed in process and prevent from discs glaze and future vibrations, squeaking problems.
A 100k km it’s a good result, not the longest for a hybrid but still good.
I am surprised actually that the rear ones didn’t go first, on most cars post 2000 year the rear pads wear faster than front ones. 

Job was done by the Toyota dealer, so they recommended to reuse the pads. 

My car is parked outside all year, but all brake discs are rust free. Other used Corollas in the dealer showroom had really bad looking brakes with less than 40.000 km. on the clock. That's rather strange how wear and tear can be so different. 

Old discs had gone 153K km., the old pads can last untill 250K or so. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Yes, I’ve had several other cars and the rears were wearing out quicker than the fronts - I believe some cars use the rear brakes for the cruise control braking and also the stability control to tighten up the cornering. 

my auris wore out the fronts first, I used to have to clean the rear disks on my auris by braking firmly in neutral every few weeks as normal braking wasn’t clearing them. 

the Corolla hasn’t required this. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links