Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq2 Or Iq3

Bug

Hi,

Following on from my thread regarding replacing my Megane with a IQ and the financial sensibilities of it i am now a bit torn between the 1.0 and the 1.3 manual. Originally i had thought that the 50 odd miles to work (100 round trip) daily on mostly motorways/A roads would mean i would need a 1.3 however, from what i have read in some threads and a few PMs is that the 1.0 is perhaps ok for this purpose too.

I went to the Canterbury Toyota garage today and looking at the specs the only differance between the IQ3 and 2 is the engine size (perhaps wheels too) and obviously fuel differances.

What would others recommend or advise? Would the 1.0 be ok for someone doing approx 25k miles per 12 months or would the 1.3 be better? The mileage looks fantastic in the 1.3 and pays for the IQ3 by saving me lots on running costs if i assume i spend £1000 per year on the current car however, the MPG on the 1.0 will actually mean i will save money whilst having a brand new car to not worry about so i want to be practical and get whats right.

Thanks

Natalie

Hi again.

This time I read all of your request (I totally missed the 25k and read it as 2.5k so most of my comments didn't match) :wacko:

Personally I'm not convinced an IQ is a car to do 100 miles a day in, that said I find my 1.0 sluggish between 50 and 70 if trying to keep under 3k revs, although in my test drive I found third a lot of fun but dropping down to it isn't going to be very fuel friendly.

I came to the IQ because as a family we had a 3 and 3.5 litre cars and I was only doing 4k a year in town, for me it was a no brainer and I'll save money driving a city car in a city.

My advice would be to ask your local garage if you could borrow each for 24 hours and do the daily commute and see, I think you'll find the 1.3 will work out better if they don't let you at least take a test drive and go up the motorway.

Hi there, I currently have the 1.0 in an aygo , great engine but needs worked to get the best....if I drive it properly I get about 50 mpg, if I use the revs and have a bit of fun, rapidly hits 38-40 mpg, therefore I tried the pair of iq engines before placing my order......I think the 1.3 is definitely worth the extra grand....the real benefit is the torque , loads more pulling power

Just gotta decide if I go the whole hog and spec leather and satnav too,

Ps, aygo has been a revelation, so economical to run and ultra-reliable......hence my choice of sticking with Toyota , dealers pretty good up here too :-)

The Aygo weights 80Kg less than the IQ if my memory serves me. I drove an Aygo before switching to an IQ1 and the Aygo is definitely quicker.

IMHO the Aygo is by far a better car practically, but I couldn’t stand the cheap interior. If they made a luxury version of the Aygo they might be on to a winner :) but then it would probably cost to much :\

Natalie,

I think the 1.3 makes sense but we don't get the best economy from ours. The peak we've ever reached is +/- 51mpg and that was me driving mega-carefully on my mostly country lane commute. My wife's job involves a lot of stop/starts visiting patients so for her she's lucky to get 40mpg. Our iQ3 is an ex-dealers car so we bought it already fully-specced at a very good price. I'd suggest you look at seeing if you can test drive the CVT engine/gearbox as I believe they are quite highly rated and appreciated by those who have.

I went for the iQ3 because I frequently do country road and dual carriageway driving and I do venture out of town on occasions, so thought the 1.33 engine would be better for this. Plus my last three cars have been big engines, a 3 litre V6, 3 litre I6 and currently a 4.3 litre V8, so a 1.33 auto iQ is going to feel like I'm running a lawnmower in terms of the expense (fuel and car tax). :)

I have to say though, the more reviews I read about the 1 litre engine, the more I wish I considered it more seriously, but the CVT version pushes it into the same tax band as the 1.33 anyway.

Hi ya,

All great responses and helping me along. Going to fill out the forms tonight and i know i'll still be hovering over this bit!

I did sit in the Aygo at the weekend and it did feel a lot more 'scratchy' and cheap really. The IQ did feel solid and 'there' so i am still definately on for the 1.0 or 1.33.

If i go for the 1.0 then i can spec it up a bit perhaps, if not the 1.33 has everything really barr leather anyway, Sat Nav was just going to be a sup luxury but a £100 Tom Tom will do i guess and save a £1k!

Nat

IQ 1.0 got no problem driving at legal speed.

I suggest you only go 1.33 if you always have more than 2 people in your car and always go uphill while keeping at 65mph+ :rolleyes:

Hi ya,

All great responses and helping me along. Going to fill out the forms tonight and i know i'll still be hovering over this bit!

I did sit in the Aygo at the weekend and it did feel a lot more 'scratchy' and cheap really. The IQ did feel solid and 'there' so i am still definately on for the 1.0 or 1.33.

If i go for the 1.0 then i can spec it up a bit perhaps, if not the 1.33 has everything really barr leather anyway, Sat Nav was just going to be a sup luxury but a £100 Tom Tom will do i guess and save a £1k!

Nat

Nat, I don't think you'd miss the leather seats as they are definitely "slippy" when you go around corners plus they are sweat magnets. As for the satnav, I've used many Garmins and TomToms over the past few years but I can tell you for certain, the satnav fitted to the iQ as an option is one of the very best I've ever used. The maps are on an SD card which suggests it should be upgradeable but I've not heard of anyone doing that to date. Either way, you'll thoroughly enjoy the car. As we'd all concur the turning circle still makes us all smile.

As we'd all concur the turning circle still makes us all smile.

Oh i so miss that mental circle from my Mr2 Turbo i once had too!

I like black cars, but the more I see Pearl White iQs I almost wish I had gone for this colour instead of Eclipse Black.

Hello,

I have an IQ1 1.0 litre. It's fine for me. If I drive it carefully then I can touch 62-63 mpg. I am doing about 100 miles per week in mine with some long journeys of 80 miles+. The car is fine and holds its own against bigger cars style wise. Granted the acceleration is not the best in the world for the 1.0 but you are getting better fuel consumption than the 1.33 (not forgetting the free road tax for the 1.0 litre). The 1.0 litre engine can easily reach 90 mph and dont forget that at this speed you are breaking the speed limit anyway.

It all depends what you would like. To save money then go for the 1.0. If you are doing longer trips regularly and need to be there fast then go for the 1.33 litre.

Nevica

Hi,

Following on from my thread regarding replacing my Megane with a IQ and the financial sensibilities of it i am now a bit torn between the 1.0 and the 1.3 manual. Originally i had thought that the 50 odd miles to work (100 round trip) daily on mostly motorways/A roads would mean i would need a 1.3 however, from what i have read in some threads and a few PMs is that the 1.0 is perhaps ok for this purpose too.

I went to the Canterbury Toyota garage today and looking at the specs the only differance between the IQ3 and 2 is the engine size (perhaps wheels too) and obviously fuel differances.

What would others recommend or advise? Would the 1.0 be ok for someone doing approx 25k miles per 12 months or would the 1.3 be better? The mileage looks fantastic in the 1.3 and pays for the IQ3 by saving me lots on running costs if i assume i spend £1000 per year on the current car however, the MPG on the 1.0 will actually mean i will save money whilst having a brand new car to not worry about so i want to be practical and get whats right.

Thanks

Natalie

I like black cars, but the more I see Pearl White iQs I almost wish I had gone for this colour instead of Eclipse Black.

I almost got myself a pearl white/black IQ before I saw the Bronze one. No regret in getting my Bronze IQ especially when I was washing my car :)

• 6 months later...

I went for the iQ3 because I frequently do country road and dual carriageway driving and I do venture out of town on occasions, so thought the 1.33 engine would be better for this. Plus my last three cars have been big engines, a 3 litre V6, 3 litre I6 and currently a 4.3 litre V8, so a 1.33 auto iQ is going to feel like I'm running a lawnmower in terms of the expense (fuel and car tax). :)

I have to say though, the more reviews I read about the 1 litre engine, the more I wish I considered it more seriously, but the CVT version pushes it into the same tax band as the 1.33 anyway.

I see MarkyPancake that you have the 1.33 multidrive. I am considering this version over the 6 speed manual that I also tested. Whats your view on the iQ3 multidrive and what made you choose this one over the manual? :thumbsup:

I see MarkyPancake that you have the 1.33 multidrive. I am considering this version over the 6 speed manual that I also tested. Whats your view on the iQ3 multidrive and what made you choose this one over the manual?

The demo iQ my local dealer had was a manual iQ3 and it reminded me why I never want to drive a manual through choice again; after owning autos for at least 10 years, I just don't see the point in manual driving around town. I like my lazy autos. :)

Be warned though, the iQ3 multidrive is the thirstiest of all the models and I'm currently getting around 30 MPG around town, which is only 12 MPG more than my old 4.3 V8 Lexus that weighed nearly twice as much. I'm not getting near the book averages.

Apart from the not as good as expected MPG, I'm happy with my iQ3.

That is low on fuel consumption. Do you have a heavy right foot or is it just that bad on fuel? That's crazy if your only getting 30 MPG. Not much more than the diesel Hilux I drive. There is talk of the iQ D4D coming to the UK. I wonder if it's true.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links