Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

On The Rocks, Sir?

Bizarra

Museum thaws Shackleton's Scotch

Thursday July 22 2010

A crate of Scotch whisky that has been frozen in Antarctic ice for more than a century is being slowly thawed by New Zealand museum officials - for analysis, not to be tasted.

The crate of whisky was recovered earlier this year - along with four other crates containing whisky and brandy - beneath the floor of a hut built by British explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton during his 1908 Antarctic expedition.

Four of the crates were left in the ice, but one labelled Mackinlay's whisky was brought to the Canterbury Museum in Christchurch, where officials said it was being thawed in a controlled environment.

Nigel Watson, executive director of the New Zealand Antarctic Heritage Trust, said the whisky might still be liquid.

"When the guys were lifting it, they reported the sound of sloshing and there was a smell of whisky in the freezer, so it is all boding pretty well," he said.

An Antarctic Heritage Trust team that was restoring the explorer's hut found the crates in 2006 but couldn't immediately dislodge them because they were too deeply embedded in the ice.

Drinks group Whyte&Mackay, the Scottish distillery that now owns the Mackinlay's brand, launched the bid to recover the whisky for samples to test and potentially use to relaunch the defunct Scotch.

Mr Watson said the whisky may still be drinkable but would probably not be tasted.

"This was a blend so they are hopeful if there is enough alcohol left and it is in good condition they may be able to analyse and hopefully replicate the liquid so in fact everyone could partake in this," he said.

"It has been put on ice for 100 years so I don't think it is too unromantic a suggestion. The reality is that it is very limited quantities and our focus is on the conservation and not the drinking."

Press Association

3 points to be made here!

[1] Born: 15-Feb-1874

Birthplace: Ballitore, County Kildare, Ireland

So what the Hell was he doing with cases of Scotch? :ffs:

[2] "Nigel Watson, executive director of the New Zealand Antarctic Heritage Trust, said the whisky might still be liquid." :eek:

This from an Expert? :unsure: The bloody stuff was frozen & is being thawed :eek: What does he expect? :wacko:

[3] Mr Watson said the whisky may still be drinkable but would probably not be tasted. :eek: Wanna bet ? :lol:

So what the Hell was he doing with cases of Scotch? cursing.gif

Obvious, he liked a drop of the decent stuff laugh.gif

So what the Hell was he doing with cases of Scotch? cursing.gif

Obvious, he liked a drop of the decent stuff laugh.gif

Misguided fellow :yes: If he had brought cases of Irish Whiskey, it would have kept him from freezing to death :cheers::laughing:

But who wants to live with destroyed taste buds :D

But who wants to live with destroyed taste buds :D by drinking Scotch :disgust: At least it is made by one of the Celtic Nations :yahoo:

I had to finish that one, properly for you :thumbsup:

I can't believe you would rubbish the only decent thing to come out of Scotland...

I can't believe you would rubbish the only decent thing to come out of Scotland...

Bothy :toot: Go gettim! :boxing::bash:

I lied, I forgot about A74(M) which is also a good thing out of Scotland on the the M6 and on to civilisation biggrin.gif

I lied, I forgot about A74(M) which is also a good thing out of Scotland on the the M6 and on to civilisation biggrin.gif

Ah ! Like the main road out of Surrey ? The further it goes, the mainer it gets :lol:

At least we have roads...

Things are looking up then, recently :thumbsup: or are you still using the ones made, & well made at that, by the Romans, using Brit serfs as Slave labour? :lol:

Well we ran out of Celts to do our bidding ... :D

Well we ran out of Celts to do our bidding ... :D

Got that one wrong, so you did, so you did :rolleyes:

You'd have been a Brit Serf, not a Roman, unless having Russian hands & Roman fingers qualified you :sneaky2:

I was a God...

So what ? <_< They worshipped anyone & anything back then :eek: I know your excuse before you utter it :shutit: You were Priapus, the God of ................ :blush: oh ! Never mind :lol2:

Priapus was best noted for his large, permanent erection, which gave rise to the medical term priapism,

You know it makes sense thumbsup.gif

Priapus was best noted for his large, permanent erection, which gave rise to the medical term priapism,

You know it makes sense thumbsup.gif

Yeah, Right :rolleyes: It makes sense to guess that you think that you were him, along with all the other delusions :wacko::lol:

If you've got it , Flaunt it ....yahoo.gif

Dirty Raincoat man ? Huh? <_< :bag::disgust:

My raincoat is always clean, One has standards...

My raincoat is always clean, One has standards...

Only Lamp Standards, erected outside your house by public demand, so that neighbours can see you going on the prowl in your clean Raincoat :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links