Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air Filters

Bong Water

Seeing as though air filters are a hot topic I thought I would offer you some interesting reading, theres loads more out there if you are willing to look but these are the two most popular ones

One or two of you may have seen them before

Enjoy

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

This one is very in depth so be prepared

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Seeing as though air filters are a hot topic I thought I would offer you some interesting reading, theres loads more out there if you are willing to look but these are the two most popular ones

One or two of you may have seen them before

Enjoy

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

This one is very in depth so be prepared

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

in the fist link provided posted seems be an advertisment for air filters. noway is a stock petrol engine going to gain 13/14 bhp by fitting a different air filter.

the second link confirms this.

its autosuggestion because you can hear the induction noise and think you have increase performance.

a free flowing fiter fitted to a diesel may be of some benifit but very little in a turbo engine.

Not exactly sure what you are trying to say?

They are just useful links, no hidden agenda, I certainately dont sell air filters and dont see how the tests would be advertising air filters from a number of different manufacturers, that makes no sense at all

They are just useful links, no hidden agenda, I certainately dont sell air filters and dont see how the tests would be advertising air filters from a number of different manufacturers, that makes no sense at all

hi bog water

iam not saying anthing about you only pointing out what a waste of money on so called performance filters.

for a few pounds more a performance chip would have better results.

though i would not consider one myself.

sorry for any confusion caused, but second link confirmed what i beleave to be false claims for these products.

Good and thorough tests.

The filter test on the MX5 was based on panel filter replacements (all of the same filter size/ area), which only evaluate filter and flow characteristics of the different filter materials.

It is said that that good flow and good filtering is contradicting, and that is true for a given filter size.

However, performance filters often offer better flow by providing a larger filter area.

If you were able to double the filter area, you would half the flow resistance provided by the filter, and if you used, say, OEM filters the filtration would not be compromised.

Also: cold Air feed is really important.CAI test

Good and thorough tests.

The filter test on the MX5 was based on panel filter replacements (all of the same filter size/ area), which only evaluate filter and flow characteristics of the different filter materials.

It is said that that good flow and good filtering is contradicting, and that is true for a given filter size.

However, performance filters often offer better flow by providing a larger filter area.

If you were able to double the filter area, you would half the flow resistance provided by the filter, and if you used, say, OEM filters the filtration would not be compromised.

Also: cold Air feed is really important.CAI test

hi sheepscloth.

this very true as havng an intercooler fitted with turbo confirms.

hi bog water

iam not saying anthing about you only pointing out what a waste of money on so called performance filters.

for a few pounds more a performance chip would have better results.

though i would not consider one myself.

sorry for any confusion caused, but second link confirmed what i beleave to be false claims for these products.

I see what you mean now and I agree, I also think they can be a waste of money, I would only really buy one for the noise and looks, with the standard intake you know you are getting good filteration with slightly less flow but does increased flow make that much of a difference on the road?

Thanks for the other link, I have not seen that one before i'll have a read

Has anyone ever tried taking the "parts bin" approach to improve the performance.

For instance the dimensions of the standard air filter on the T-sport is 289mm x 150mm = 433.5cm2 filter area.

the filter dimensions for the 2.0 D-4D is 318mm x 163mm = 518.3cm2 filter area. 19.5% larger area than TS filter, so should have 19.5% lower flow resistance.

So question is: Can a 2.0 D-4D airbox be made to fit a TS? would it be worth it?

You might as well just fit an open cone though? Apart from it obviously wouldnt be an enclosed box

The other thing is this, I hold most of my experiance with Honda VTEC engines which are similar to a VVTL-I engine, the best performing after market air filter systems and the standard intakes the air is drawn into the box through a snorkle with a small opening thats a fraction of the size of the filter surface area

So, thinking about what you said, surface area of the filter and I know what you mean, why do they draw are through something thats a fraction of the size? I think its something to do with throttle response IE when you are sat in traffic and you set off the system has a "volume" of air to draw from rather than a big open space like a cone filter but a cone filter can breath better higher up so what you take away from one thing you add with another

This is why all the best aftermarket filters for Honda are enclosed air boxes with a snorkle design and also use the standard intake tract from filter to throttle body, Mugen, Comptech, GruppeM etc these companies dont do anything for Toyota though the only option seems to be open cone

What do TTE/TRD sell?

agree with you bongwater, i remember you from civiclife :thumbsup:

TTE dont make a kit for our car, TRD for the US market do make a cold air intake for the corolla, it works on the t-sport here but it isnt sold out here, will need to be bought from america.

In general there are more cheaper CAI kits from the US like INJEN, Fujita, Aem however which are cheaper than the TRD CAI and possibly sell a better filter.

Fujita make a dryflow filter, quite similar to the apexi so that would be a good choice

What did you used to drive before your CTS mate?

I highly doubt i'm going to bother with an open cone, too many negatives and not enough positives to make the money worthwhile parting with, i'd rather change the OEM filter in the standard box regulary.

Any links to the TRD kit just out of curiosity?

Cheers

I have always had corollas, bought my first when i was 17, then bought the t-sport a year after.

Alot of my friends have the B series civics so use the forums often, i never actively posted there but i did see your post when searching for a CTS.

The TRD intakes are on TRD USA'S website, i dont know of any vendors but authorised TRD retailers should be able to get hold of one for you like fensport.

:thumbsup:

Ah I see, had a few B series in different Civics along the way, great engines.

I just had a look on google and found the website, they are servicable cone filter CAI, not for me. I'm just going to stick with the standard intake for now unless I see and hear an Apex'i fitted to someones car that pursuades me otherwise

Think I agree with Bong Water, I had an apexi cone filter on my old yaris, and although it was great sounding, and improved the top end, there was a loss at the bottom end.

Think I'm going to stick to the blitz panel filter I have, and maybe concentrate my efforts on replacing the rediculous standard snorkel air feed.

That's untill a cheap apexi comes about :lol:

I think it's an interesting area to look into, either an enclosed induction kit, or a custom enclosure/heatshield for an existing air filter.

Think I agree with Bong Water, I had an apexi cone filter on my old yaris, and although it was great sounding, and improved the top end, there was a loss at the bottom end.

Think I'm going to stick to the blitz panel filter I have, and maybe concentrate my efforts on replacing the rediculous standard snorkel air feed.

That's untill a cheap apexi comes about :lol:

I think it's an interesting area to look into, either an enclosed induction kit, or a custom enclosure/heatshield for an existing air filter.

A well designed intake is what we really need. Because of how the corolla was made the intake is quite a large power loosing factor if you think about it. The intake design from standard is poor.....The placement of filter is also weak.

Pop the bonnet of a E46 Bmw for example and you can see that the inlet manifold is on your right hand side, it is enclosed and leads directly into the front grilles. That is an amazing design, the same goes with the M3s the ITB (Individual throttle bodies) sit the same way however they are enclosed and have a duct going to the front grille. Excellent placement for the intake to pull cool air from.

The civic type r is also great, the engine bay design is alot better the intake points back towards the firewall but the duct comes out of the bonnet/wiper area for the gruppe m. Direct cold air fed into the intake.

We need the same for the corolla but the placement for the intake is poor unless you go CAI and lead it to the wheel arch.

I'm looking forward to picking mine up on Friday so that I can have a look at the intake and see if the standard air box can be disected in any way to lead a cold air feed into the wheel arch and do away with any resonators, this will increase noise and performance without losing as much throttle response as an open cone filter

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links