Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Airships To Protect British Troops

Raistlin

_48340130_airship2.jpg

A brand new, 21st century-style airship could soon be patrolling the skies above Afghanistan, helping protect British and other Nato troops serving there.

A £350m contract's been awarded to American military contractor Northrop Grumman, one of the world's largest defence companies.

The deal will see three Long Endurance Multi-Intelligence Vehicles (LEMV) built for the US Army within 18 months and ready for operations by early 2012.

_48339184_airship.jpg

The LEMV's will be able to endure a small amount of small arms fire

They will be able to stay in the air for up to three weeks at a time and provide what designers describe as an "unblinking eye" of surveillance for forces on the ground.

Airship facts

• Able to stay in the air for three weeks
  • Capable of withstanding small arms fire
  • No crew
  • Operates at 20,000 feet
  • Flies at speeds of up to 80 knots (around 90mph)

Alan Metzger is in charge of the project.

He said: "There won't be any gaps in the data that gets sent back down to the troops on the ground.

"I don't know of anything that comes close to that at the moment that can stay in the air for up to three weeks at a time."

Bosses also say the LEMV's skin, a mixture of tough materials and Kevlar (often used in body armour), will be able to withstand a reasonable amount of small arms fire from Taliban fighters on the ground.

Hope nobody leaves a lit ciggie anywhere near one :blowup:

Your car also runs off hot air, that might account for you inflated opinion of yourself... laugh.gif

Why not ? No pollution & environmentally friendly :thumbsup: Also useful for checking my tyres :lol:

Yours could keep a fleet going :P

Toyota are abandoning their Hybrids in favour of my method & I'm currently in negotiation with them over the rights & Patents :clap:

Toyota are abandoning their Hybrids in favour of my method clap.gif

Would that be the Rhythm Method as your Irish...

But not governed by the Edicts of the Catholic Church, being a Protestant & a Heretic :rolleyes:

Still, when you get the rhythm going, don't stop :yahoo::drool:

You are slipping, my Friend :unsure: You missed my deliberate[?] error in my previous post :o Too late now :D I hit the edit button B)

But not governed by the Edicts of the Catholic Church, being a Protestant & a Heretic rolleyes.gif

Still, when you get the rhythm going, don't stop yahoo.gifdrool.gif

You are slipping, my Friend unsure.gif You missed my deliberate[?] error in my previous post ohmy.gif Too late now biggrin.gif I hit the edit button cool.gif

Over the last few days there have been so many, It would be churlish of me to highlight them all....

But not governed by the Edicts of the Catholic Church, being a Protestant & a Heretic rolleyes.gif

You are slipping, my Friend unsure.gif You missed my deliberate[?] error in my previous post ohmy.gif Too late now biggrin.gif I hit the edit button cool.gif

Over the last few days there have been so many, It would be churlish of me to highlight them all....

But last time I looked, you were a Churl :unsure:

But last time I looked, you were a Churl unsure.gif

Results for Churl

Churl was not found

Did you spell it correctly? Here are some alternatives:

I was watching a programme about airships and from what I gathered airships of today are the safest in the sky. What made the Hindenburg go up was the fact that it was painted with dope which as we all know is highly flammable.

Results for Churl

Churl was not found

You didn't look in the right place, you poor Churl :bash: You should know better than to contradict me on English, Archaic English & Saxon :bangin: See results below :bookworm:

churl noun an ill-bred surly person. churlish adj ill-mannered or rude. churlishly adverb. churlishness noun.

ETYMOLOGY: Anglo-Saxon ceorl peasant.

Results for Churl

Churl was not found

You didn't look in the right place, you poor Churl bash.gif You should know better than to contradict me on English, Archaic English & Saxon bangin.gif See results below book.gif

churl noun an ill-bred surly person. churlish adj ill-mannered or rude. churlishly adverb. churlishness noun.

ETYMOLOGY: Anglo-Saxon ceorl peasant.

Nicely researched Man thumbsup.gif

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links