Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Oil For Corolla T-Spirit

ShadyCraig

Sorry to make my first post such a noob one :-( however my car started

making a rattle this morning on my way to work and the oil light came on (on a bend).

After checking, it's only just on the bottom of the dipstick, may below the min.

I'd like to top-up before leaving for home (20 mile journey), problem is I don't have my handbook handy, but I do have a Haynes.

Haynes lists 20W50 or 15W40 SL or SM, or 10W30 or 5W30 SL or SM.

What is the difference between all these oils, and which is most widely available?

Thanks for your help!

Craig

My handbook also states different grades....

Have a look on Opie Oils website... they have a function which tells you the best grade for your car (usually just 1 grade :lol:)

thumbsup.gif

A good quality, branded, 5w 30 semi synthetic is just what you need

Kingo :thumbsup:

I've had a look on both Millers and Shell, they both came up with 5W30 and Millers also listed 10W40.

Shell seems to suggest it depends on the ambient temp:

Alternative recommendations, Engine (Petrol), >2000

<-29°C to >38°C, 5W-30

-18°C to >38°C, 10W-30

-12°C to >38°C, 15W-40

-7°C to >38°C, 20W-50

So maybe 5W30 is the way to go.

So semi or fully synth?

depends what you have in there now.

save money...........semi

Sorry to make my first post such a noob one :-( however my car started

making a rattle this morning on my way to work and the oil light came on (on a bend).

After checking, it's only just on the bottom of the dipstick, may below the min.

I'd like to top-up before leaving for home (20 mile journey), problem is I don't have my handbook handy, but I do have a Haynes.

Haynes lists 20W50 or 15W40 SL or SM, or 10W30 or 5W30 SL or SM.

What is the difference between all these oils, and which is most widely available?

Thanks for your help!

Craig

hi shadycraig

lets hope you have not to late putting oil in if it started rattling.

if your oil is to low then going around a bend will send what oil that is left up the side of your sump and starving the oil pump,

its centrifugal force,racing cars with wet sumps have baffles fittrd in their sumps to reduce this but they cornering at very high speed.

if your oil level is kept above min level you wont have this problem in a stadared car

hope you have not done any permanent damage,

just use a quality 5w-30 semi synthetic and keep the oil topped up correctly, toyota's own does the job just fine and is what i use. you dont need me to tell you having low oil in your car is an inexpensive mistake which leads to expensive repair bills.

Thanks all for your replies!

I topped up with 5W30 fully synthetic which was on special at Halfords, and the rattling has gone now.

Although the immediate problem has gone away I'm quite shocked that the oil level was so low.

I know it's my own fault for not checking but the car was bought from a main dealer only 3-4 months ago.

I'll check frequently now and time will tell whether the oil was low to start with or if it's going somewhere.

Thanks again,

Craig

i have the diesel so keeping oil topped up is arguably more important for me however checking your oil in a petrol every 2 or 3 weeks or even monthly wont hurt, especially after a long motorway journey where some oil may have been burnt.

Seems not uncommon for some Corollas to use,what I consider to be,a fairly high amount of oil in use.I suggest checking the oil at least every week in normal day to day commuting and before and after any lengthy high speed journey so you can gauge how much oil your Corolla is using.

Yep youre right, it can be argued they do use more oil than what you would expect from other petrol or diesel engines however theyre great cars and personally i dont mind topping up the oil now and then - it helps me to believe im looking after my car lol.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links