Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rough Feeling Brakes

Tametiger

I have recently bought a T180 after several years of VW Golfs and I was wondering whether other owners notice a 'gravelly' sensation when depressing the brake pedal. The car was fully serviced and tested by the dealer I bought it from so I am wondering whether this sensation is normal. The brakes seem perfectly effective and might just feel different to me after the VWs.

Yours is a different model to mine but i would guess there is a problem,brakes should feel smooth not gravely,maybe it would be best getting them checked out.One suggestion though as the discs wear a lip builds up on the outer edge of the disc,if new pads are fitted without the disc being changed i suppose this could do it.You can feel the disc edge through the wheel with a finger but make sure the disc is cool.

I have recently bought a T180 after several years of VW Golfs and I was wondering whether other owners notice a 'gravelly' sensation when depressing the brake pedal. The car was fully serviced and tested by the dealer I bought it from so I am wondering whether this sensation is normal. The brakes seem perfectly effective and might just feel different to me after the VWs.

Just had to replace front pads and dics on my 08 XTR. Had only done 21k when sensation as described started to appear. Dealer at this point said brakes were working perfectly OK but admitted that replacing front brakes would clear symptom. As raised on other threads Mr T refused to replace under warranty.............not pleased! However 2k miles later it got the better of me and I had front discs and pads changed for £220 by dealer. Brakes now silky smooth.

Just had to replace front pads and dics on my 08 XTR. Had only done 21k when sensation as described started to appear. Dealer at this point said brakes were working perfectly OK but admitted that replacing front brakes would clear symptom. As raised on other threads Mr T refused to replace under warranty.............not pleased! However 2k miles later it got the better of me and I had front discs and pads changed for £220 by dealer. Brakes now silky smooth.

And that is why you should now go back and ask for a refund. If it has cleared a problem you shouldn't pay. Get the dealer to first agree that the previous problem is now gone and for anyone else in this position, don't accept the word of the dealer, ask for it in writing from TGB. Some of these dealers are making incorrect judgements on this.

Not sure what youi mean by "gravelly". You mean noise or you can feel it through the pedal or steering wheel?

No noise, just a slight crunchy sensation when pushing brake pedal all the way down. I have a year's warranty from the dealer and the 3-year Toyota warranty expires at the end of this month (August). I did notice this sensation on test drive and the salesman promised me he would raise the issue with service dept. Now have new MOT, new service, year's warranty but brake sensation is still there.

Now is your time to dig in and get it done under warranty. Do not accept that it is normal wear and tear.

And that is why you should now go back and ask for a refund. If it has cleared a problem you shouldn't pay. Get the dealer to first agree that the previous problem is now gone and for anyone else in this position, don't accept the word of the dealer, ask for it in writing from TGB. Some of these dealers are making incorrect judgements on this.

Argued long and hard at dealers when trying to get this resolved. There was no way that they would back down on the Toyota stance that discs and pads are not covered beyond one year or 20k miles. Even after I told them that it was highly unlikely that I would ever buy another toyota again!

I can tell you that TGB do not condone the dealer practice of turning warranty down when a fault exists. If you can't get any sense from the dealer you should try another one or write to Customer Relations.

If the parts are merely worn you can expect to pay - the warranty restriction may apply. If the brakes are exhibiting a fault the dealer has no right to reject a claim for faulty brakes and that is how you should approach them. Tell them you are not concerned about the wear but you want the brake fault resolving.

I can tell you that TGB do not condone the dealer practice of turning warranty down when a fault exists. If you can't get any sense from the dealer you should try another one or write to Customer Relations.

If the parts are merely worn you can expect to pay - the warranty restriction may apply. If the brakes are exhibiting a fault the dealer has no right to reject a claim for faulty brakes and that is how you should approach them. Tell them you are not concerned about the wear but you want the brake fault resolving.

Thanks Anchorman. Living in a relatively remote area the option to have taken the Rav to another dealer was not really practical. I feel that too much time has passed to take this any further. Life is too short. Nevertheless great advice to others in this situation.

What exactly is yours doing and have you agreed to pay anything yet.

Logging off now but will look in tomorrow.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links