Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Random Thought Of Mine...

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi there

Take a 2006 1.6 vvti SR...if driven well i hear it can return 40mpg...now im thinking...may be down the road in the future some time....

Can the engine be downsized to a 1.4 and how would you do it?

Can corolla's be lpg/gas converted?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance...cheers...Sammy

Why would you want to?Easier to buy a 1.4 in the first place :)

Why would you want to?Easier to buy a 1.4 in the first place :)

:thumbsup:

A smaller engine doesn't necessarily mean better economy anyway.... it all depends on your driving style and where/when you'll be driving the car...

As for LPG/Gas conversions.... they can be done to pretty much any car these days and i have seen a few conversions on the VVTi engines...

my corolla use to do 485 per tank , occasionally 500 , 6,7 year car and done 160000miles

but mainly motor way milage, and catch the windstream of other cars :rolleyes:

get some better spark plug maybe, my dad used to use Bosch twin sparkling one, forgot the exact name.

why on earth would you seek to 'downsize' an engine from 1.6L to 1.4L? surely it's much easier to just buy a 1.4L in the first place? if driven properly the 1.6L's extra power (and importantly torque) means you'll probably get better fuel economy unless you're driving around town 100% of the time. at least that's in my experience anyway...

Thanks guys...it was a crazy question but it was just a thought...see i see the future made up of all these cars you see around converted into 1 litres coz of the cost of fuel rises etc lol! so i just thought i'd ask if things can be down graded rather than up lol! Thanks for all the responses though.

Whilst on the topic...Has anyone paid for one of those FUEL ECONOMY services from Toyota? Costs £35.00...i'll ring them tomorrow to find out what its about. Maybe they just pour a bottle of Cataclean in who knows!!!

Sammy

Thanks guys...it was a crazy question but it was just a thought...see i see the future made up of all these cars you see around converted into 1 litres coz of the cost of fuel rises etc lol! so i just thought i'd ask if things can be down graded rather than up lol! Thanks for all the responses though.

Whilst on the topic...Has anyone paid for one of those FUEL ECONOMY services from Toyota? Costs £35.00...i'll ring them tomorrow to find out what its about. Maybe they just pour a bottle of Cataclean in who knows!!!

Sammy

Please shoot me when they start making all cars 1.0L, I'd hate to be around in such a time. I don't believe any of this global warming CO2 shizzle, the earth is getting warmer because the temperature oscilates and has done for millions of years!! Anyways lol rant over :)

I did the opposite! I had a 1.4 liter and I oversized it to 1.8 liter! (by using parts from 1zz engine). And believe me it is much more economic now especially on trips.

A stronger engine means that it can move the car more easily to beat the air resistance. Also it can move the car more easily when it is loaded with extra weight (people, baggages etc).

So, what you are saying can be easily done (as the engine blocks for 4zz, 3zz and 1zz are the same), but I would not recommend it. In the end you will see that the 1.4l is less economical.

The economy of an engine is also highly dependent upon the car it is fitted to. If the car is very very heavy then you will get a better economy from a 1.6 than a 1.4 because the 1.4 will have to work that much harder to keep up the right speeds. It is unclear exactly where the equilibrium is reached with this formula.

You can take other measures with the car itself such as removing interior parts to make it lighter, replacing parts like wheels and wheel nuts with lighter versions, using light exhaust systems and things like that. ;)

The economy of an engine is also highly dependent upon the car it is fitted to. If the car is very very heavy then you will get a better economy from a 1.6 than a 1.4 because the 1.4 will have to work that much harder to keep up the right speeds. It is unclear exactly where the equilibrium is reached with this formula.

Very very true! :thumbsup:

LPG conversions (use an LPGA approved installer see: http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/) can be very worthwhile. My last car (2.2l Frontera) was converted to gas at 40k and I did 70k miles on LPG without a problem. Cost is circa £1000-1500 depending on the car and the type of LPG installation.

With the Frontera I found LPG was about 80-90% efficient compared to petrol so I lost a bit of power compared to running on petrol though my installation was a "basic" and not injected like the modern conversions can be. MPG on petrol was 25 and on LPG was 20(ish) so with LPG being roughly half the cost per litre of petrol it worked out I was getting 36-38mpg equivalent from a huge 4x4. Essentially half-price fuel costs for 70k until I recently swopped for a D4D Corolla not needing the size of car any longer. That's quite a few grand saved over 7 years.

In a Corolla you would have a 35-40L donut shaped tank in the spare tyre well.

Pros: Cheap to run, greener than petrol, engine wear is minimal (my oil at 100k was very clean indeed even right up to a service schedule point).

Cons: Need to refuel more often, LPG outlets need to be found (I used a Satnav overlay for this), cost of initial conversion.

Got to be easier than changing the engine... ;)

JB

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links