Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Calling All Sr Starlet Drivers...or Any1

starletsr

:help:

Hi all, erm... don't suppose you can help a helpless girl like me... just asking if it's any good to get my little starlet superchipped? Plus putting an induction kit (any advice in what induction kit to put in? seeing that i need to a get a tube for it too) in at the same time, does it actually improve any performance? After that i might take out the cat??? ( i think it is that) in my exhaust, so all together how much BHP will it increase?

People say its best to get a turbo engine or get a turbo starlet, but like i said, i can't afford the insurance, plus i don't really want my car to go that fast like a turbo anyway. Just a little improvement.

Anyone know any prices?

Any ideas will help.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

superchipped? Whaaa... never herad of this...

by Induction i assue you mean intake. Easist option is probably got your local Muffler shop, get them to chucks one on, since your a helpless girl knowing most males youll get it at a reduced price haha.

Go for a k&n filter though :)

cutting your cat wont do that much, usually causes the buble bee sound, BZZZZZZZZZ *chagne gear* BZZZZZZ etc, fuxing annoying sound.

only get rid of your cat if your going to do the entire exaust. so everythings SMOOOTTTTHHHHH.

Your bhp wont rise much at all with the cat removed... just more noise really,

if you want your car to go fast, there WILL be a turbo kit out there (even though you just said you dont want it fast).

just rice it up like alot of the other chix (sorry being steriotypical), but yeh... most chix just go for looks.... they never speed anyway :S

superchipped? Whaaa... never herad of this...

by Induction i assue you mean intake. Easist option is probably got your local Muffler shop, get them to chucks one on, since your a helpless girl knowing most males youll get it at a reduced price haha.

Go for a k&n filter though :)

You've never heared of a mod chip, or racing chip?here's one for the Paseo I've heared of them adding 20 on a V8... so... I dunno, 5 for something our size maybe.

Don't be chauvinistic dude, although that may very well be the best idea, although the throttle body ought to be in the same place as the Paseo, so if you want, you can try taking a '96-00 Honda Civic DX/LX intake and cut it down to fit, or get a '94-'07 Honda accord intake and cut it and re-attach it to make yourself a CAI. Works for the Seo so it should for the starlet... And going for the K&N, major must do!!!

With the location of the filter on the starlet you might be best with a high flow filter element for the standard air box, or something like a pipercross viper set-up.

As for the exhaust i wouldn't look at removing the cat as you'll have to put it back in for the MOT. I'd try and look for a jap exhaust if you could afford it i know apexi do one for the NA starlet.

Sy :thumbsup:

IMO go for the induction kit first, followed by cat back freeflow system, these alone will make the engine breathe freely and feel more responsive, then maybe go for the superchip last as they can take into account what you've done when they set it up :thumbsup:

I wouldn't bother losing the cat as you'll have the hassle of putting it back in for MOT's :( You can get free flow cat but doubt its worth the cost <_<

Hmmm ok thanks guys, so removing the cat wont do much then, i'll try looking for an induction kit first then, then fink of getting a superchip.

Hey cozmonz, i know most chix like making their car look pretty and mean, but whats the point if ur car is as slow as a snail!! Well some.... LOL.. i might as well spend some money on speed LOL. :thumbsup:

Thanks BMXNBROTHAMAN, shall look into the Honda intakes, might even nick my uncles one out of his 92 VTi LOL.

Always welcome if anyone could give me some ideas...... ;)

Thanks BMXNBROTHAMAN, shall look into the Honda intakes, might even nick my uncles one out of his 92 VTi LOL.

Not a problem, And actually, because sometimes parts are made a bit differance, you might want to copy companies- If you want to do the CAI, use an AEM Accord intake, If you just want a long or short ram, APC Civic Intake

as far as i know starletsr either Piper or Kent make cams for the starlet. someone may be able 2help here.

i ve only a k&n filter on and a blitz nur-spec exhaust off a glanza :thumbsup:

Whitestarlet did your blitz nur spec exhaust fit straight onto the SR or did it need modding to fit. also does it make a nice noise!!!!!!!! :D :)

hiya i'll just add my 2penneth!

well removing cat for some reason causes my exhaust to pop and i'm told it kicks a small flame out? never actually seen it cos i'm obviously driving!!! :ffs:

er i know blitz do a good induction kit with all cold air ducting included.got a quote £125 from larkspeed.can't remember name tho? :angry:

an depending where u live ascar fitted my powerflow system in sheffield......

craig

well removing cat for some reason causes my exhaust to pop and i'm told it kicks a small flame out? never actually seen it cos i'm obviously driving!!! :ffs:

This is very true, the cat removes unburnt fuel and turns it into nice air / water etc.

without it, it fires unburnt fuel into the exaust, down into your tip (where it can dwel)

now when a hot burn, etc or anything comes down the exaust (maybe a spark or some such) by accident. eg, when changing gears. the gas can ignight, causing your exaust to catch fire for a split second. Certainlly not that bad for the engine itself, maybe it just dosnt have backpressre of half a milly second, or something like that, but your exaust will take a beating....

alright heres my knowlage...

start off with an airfilter...there are loads to choose from.

you dont necisarily need to lengthen the induction pipe. an uprated cone filter can be mated to the throttle body then a couple of cold feed pipes can be directed from the fornt of the car to the airfliter like mine. the induction roar form this mod is well fruity :wacko:

this can ad upto 3-5bhp

next get a ree flowing exhaust..prefrable a custom one...have the bore increased about 1/4 of an inch over standard.. no bigger then this or you run the risk of loosing precius backpressure (torque) get rid of the cat..but only do this if the place thats fitted the custon exhaust will put your cat back free of charge on come mot time.

loosing the cat can ad about antoher 3-5bhp. a full straight throgh could ad about 7bhp

then...i would consider getting a throttlebody off the turbo..and mabe a pwer boost valve.

because your car can now breath more easily and expel gases alot quicker..the throttlebody+pbv will supply more fuel to the mix.

u should see subsantial gains after this mod...

then and only then fit a super chip to make sure everythings runnin right.

u should be happy with the results of these mods and your car will be substantualy quicker.

u want more... cams r the way to go but be warned they make the little engine alot peakier in power delivery and u loose bottom end torqu at the same time. not realy recomended on a tiny 1.3.

thats about all that can be done to the 4e-fe without spendin wads of cashola.

if i was u id translplant a 5e engine..(1.5)like me. its a cheap straight forward mod thats friendly on insurance too and u get instandant power gains with out all that screwin about (25-30bhp)

hope this helps :ph34r:

this is to GEOCOOL69, you were going on about getting a uprated cone to fit onto the throttle body and losing the orignal rubber tube and box, well as far as i know there are alot of tubes (assume they are some sort of air sensors) attached to the original tube so where do they go then???? just leave them hanging?? show us a pic of your engine bay and let me see how you did it if possible...if not drive your car down south and show me.... :lol:

would it work if i used the original rubber tube and replaced the box with an air filter...i think thats better innit.....

this is to others....if people have other opinions about this topic, give it to me......

appriciate the help guys..... :thumbsup:

well anyone with a second hand blitz exhaust for a SR let me know (FULL SYSTEM)....cheers all

This is very true, the cat removes unburnt fuel and turns it into nice air / water etc.

Strictly not true mate, the cat removes noxious gases as the exhaust fumes pass through the monolith, hence the emissions test, without the cat it fails it :thumbsup:

I sell hundreds of em at work, funny but the most common cause of cat failure is detonation due to unburnt fuel igniting in the cat when the car is overfuelling. Mondeos were prone to it as they had a dodgy sensor a while ago, we made a fortune from it :lol::ph34r:

Starletsr, take geocools advice I think he's just about covered everything there :thumbsup: But you will need your sensors connecting up :)

ainsml no it didnt fit straight on i had to cut off the end flange where it bolts on to the turbo housing and add in a joint to bring me up to i think it was 2 1/2 (blitz exhaust) from 1 3/4 (standard system).also hadda leave in the lambda sensor(essential). i think also there is another bracket had to be welded on to the car body to support the exhaust. yeah it does sound well, there is a silencer in the back box that can be removed, let me jus say dont get one if u have grumpy neighbours cause u will have lots of noise complaints :P

geocool69 wat all is envolved in transplanting the 5e engine cause im thinkin bout an engine swap at the minute but insurance aint too happy bout a turbo bein hid under the bonnet!!! (buggers)

It's a Blitz air filter or the Gt starlet then i got the stainless steel pipe from work and the silicon hoses from a local supplier. :thumbsup:

Sy

what car does the 5e come from? why not get nitrous fitted to your sr? i have a nitrous kit lying on my dining room floor waiting till i get my car and licence back before i fit it.

100_0024.sized.jpg

This is the set-up i did for my mates sr need to do the cold air piping. :yes:

Nice set up mate, :thumbsup: it looks very professional...just another question, you know the silicon tube, there is a tube that goes into that, i assume that is some sort of sensor as it appears to be on the original rubber tube, did you just make a hole in the blue tube for this sensor?? i know that there is another sensor shapped like an arrow head, where did you place that?? did you just make another hold in the steel pipe for it?? lastly do you remember where you attached the bracket inside the engine bay coz i can't see it....

Thanks ;)

starletsr

would it work if i used the original rubber tube and replaced the box with an air filter......

yes this is the same as mine..will try and post some pics up

whitestarlet

to do a 5e swap u need....

a 5e engine and anicleries

uncut wireing loom

and ecu

u can use your original gearbox, and clutch assembaly.

im usin a six speed from an ae111 g6 mated to a 5e-fhe.

all of this can be obtained form ither a paseo/ cynos 5e-fe(90-100bhp depending on year)

or from a sera 5e-fhe(108bhp)

expect to pay between 300-600 nicker for all of the above and the same again to get it fitted. :ph34r:

If you were to do that replacement, I'm guessing a UK Spec Paseo engine would be better since its ECU wouldn't be tuned to using High-Octane petrol, and therefore wouldn't require Super Unleaded/Optimax all the time.

cheers geocool69 tis i is really thinkin bout gettin done fittin and stuff aint gonna be a prob since im mechanically minded.

good point bout the ECU :thumbsup:

Suki, yeah i just made a very small hole and pushed that pipe into it.

As for the sensor for some reason my mates car didn't have it but my old one did :wacko: but yet another hole would have to be put into the pipe.

All i did was make an L shaped bracket from the side of the filter to the filter box mounting bracket.

Sy :thumbsup:

OK sy, thanks for the advice, u mind coming down all the way from where you live to help me install it?! hehehe. Seeing that you did a pretty goooooood job in that photo..... :rolleyes:

I still think you should put the old rims back on!!!! :lol: Arent i annoying?!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links