Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 ('07) Electrical Issues.

randini

Hi all, after trashing my loyal '96 Rav4, I have recently bought a T180 diesel '07 plate. I love love love it, but an electrical issue has just started.

The multi-information display keeps suddenly dimming and then brightening for no apparent reason. At the same time the satnav display also seems to re-load and/or flicker.

It doesn't seem to be connected to my driving/speed - it has happened while driving through town and also while cruising on the motorway. There is no loss of engine power or speed when it happens.

I don't know if there's a connection, but the hands free mic also seems to have lost it's output power (people are suddenly complaining that they can't hear me but I was loud and clear last week..), and also the music system has little blips as if a CD skips - but it happens with the radio too so I know it's not a faulty/dirty CD.

A mechanic disconnected my Battery just before it all started (parking sensor problem, now resolved - a sensor wire under rear bumper had been cut during prev owner repairs.)- could this be the root of the problem?

I bought the car from a trader and the warranty has expired.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions as to what the problem may be before battle with my local Toyota mechanic commences..

Many thanks

Welcome to the club.

The only reason I can think of for the display to go dim is the auto lights kicking in and out. Have you got them set? The other faults might be related to the same current draw so get that Battery connection checked then look closer at the extent of those repairs. If somebody has been fiddling it could be related. We have had problems in the past where fuses have not been fitted properly. You can have them up the side of the contacts so they look right but in fact are making a poor connection.

Thanks Anchorman. I've read some of your other technical posts and normally makes my head spin, but completely understood your reply and will check the auto lights/battery/fuses etc.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links