Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can I Connect My Ipod Nano To My Auris ?

forevered

do any of you guys know if i can connect my ipod nano directly to the audio system i my 2008 sr

ive been using a itrip griffin plugged into the bottom of the nano and tuned to a spare fm frequency, but on the move theres interferance to often which is very irritating, it mentions mp3 on the front of the system ?

i asked this question in the other similar question but nobody replied, any help would be appreciated . thanks

I have the exact same question but with my iPhone. Have you had any luck?

I heard that the radio's come as standard with the ability to run a USB cable (they just don't add this feature as standard on all models) from them but I want to know

- if there is any truth in this

- If so where to buy a cable

- how to remove the radio to fit it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Peter

do any of you guys know if i can connect my ipod nano directly to the audio system i my 2008 sr

ive been using a itrip griffin plugged into the bottom of the nano and tuned to a spare fm frequency, but on the move theres interferance to often which is very irritating, it mentions mp3 on the front of the system ?

i asked this question in the other similar question but nobody replied, any help would be appreciated . thanks

I have the exact same question but with my iPhone. Have you had any luck?

I heard that the radio's come as standard with the ability to run a USB cable (they just don't add this feature as standard on all models) from them but I want to know

- if there is any truth in this

- If so where to buy a cable

- how to remove the radio to fit it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Peter

Hi,

(My first post so bear with me if I'm not doing it right).

I picked up my brand new Auris Hybrid yesterday and I ordered it with the Navigation upgrade which is supposed to be the top of the range stereo, but I was surprised to see that although it had AUX input, it didn't have the USB socket. So I queried it with my dealer and the person I spoke to wasn't entirely sure but she thought that there might be a further upgrade that adds DAB and USB, but she said that she would check for me.

The stereo has the buttons and menu options for USB control, but the socket just isn't there in the upper glove box. So I'm thinking like Peter that the head unit has the socket on the back and it's just a case of changing the socket panel in the glove box.

Obviously because this is a new car the dealer is keen to answer my queries, so as soon as I find out anything from them, I'll post back here to let you guys know.

Regards,

Richard

actually, you can't do this directly, you need an interface that connects your device with your audio system; Auris audio has at the backside a 12 pins (6+6) connector that is designed for CD changer but can be used for USD/SD/aux/iPod interfaces.

if you want to see this connector you have to remove audio unit from the dash in this way; first remove those 2 trim covers situated at the both sides of the unit (if you have strong nails, simply pull them starting from the upper side, near the windshield, otherwise use a "J" shape tool made by a piece of 0.5 mm steel plate, 1 inch width aprox. wrapped in some tape); second, with a 10 mm socket wrench remove those 4 screws situated on the both unit sides; third, pull out the unit.

actually, you can't do this directly, you need an interface that connects your device with your audio system; Auris audio has at the backside a 12 pins (6+6) connector that is designed for CD changer but can be used for USD/SD/aux/iPod interfaces.

if you want to see this connector you have to remove audio unit from the dash in this way; first remove those 2 trim covers situated at the both sides of the unit (if you have strong nails, simply pull them starting from the upper side, near the windshield, otherwise use a "J" shape tool made by a piece of 0.5 mm steel plate, 1 inch width aprox. wrapped in some tape); second, with a 10 mm socket wrench remove those 4 screws situated on the both unit sides; third, pull out the unit.

Yes, that would make sense. Meaning that the small facia panel in the upper glove box with the AUX socket in it is replaceable with the dual socket one with AUX and USB. It would simply be a matter of ordering the new panel (presumably with connector lead) and then connecting it to the 12 pin connector on the back of the head unit.

No response from my dealer yet, but I'm more confident now that it can be done.

Thanks,

Richard

Yes, that would make sense. Meaning that the small facia panel in the upper glove box with the AUX socket in it is replaceable with the dual socket one with AUX and USB. It would simply be a matter of ordering the new panel (presumably with connector lead) and then connecting it to the 12 pin connector on the back of the head unit.

No response from my dealer yet, but I'm more confident now that it can be done.

Thanks,

Richard

If it's that simple why on earth didn't they install it, as expected, when the car was manufactured?!?!

If it's that simple why on earth didn't they install it, as expected, when the car was manufactured?!?!

Indeed, that's the question I'll ask the dealer if it does turn out to be that easy.

Plus I'm wondering how much Toyota would charge for the parts to do the upgrade. If it's just a lead and a connector, then I'd expect it to be relatively cheap, but we'll see.

Indeed, that's the question I'll ask the dealer if it does turn out to be that easy.

Plus I'm wondering how much Toyota would charge for the parts to do the upgrade. If it's just a lead and a connector, then I'd expect it to be relatively cheap, but we'll see.

I'm not sure price comes into it. The eBrochure for the Auris Hybrid, which is still on their website, clearly states you get USB and Aux-In sockets with the Sat Nav Pack, the same sockets that are installed on the entry model T4. Having just paid out £1200 for the Sat Nav Pack (our choice, I'm not complaining) I'd like to see what I've paid for actually delivered. In another thread someone said a USB socket was installed free of charge for them (sounding like a good deal) - but they too had paid for the Sat Nav Pack!

I'm still awaiting an official response from Toyota HQ...

Just found this video:

Can't be 100% but I think it's a demo car like the one I drove, it has the Sat Nav Pack and at 2mins 30secs shows the installed USB and Aux-In combo!

Go figure!

Ok, to confuse the matter further, I've just a response from my local dealer.

She said that she had made some enquiries and checked with the Toyota "Brand Team" and the upshot was that the USB socket is not available with the Navigation System upgrade.

Apparently the logic behind that is that the Navigation System has the facility to connect bluetooth audio devices instead.

So if you buy an Auris HSD without the Navigation upgrade, you get the USB socket.

I'm still not convinced about this.

Now I know it's in the brochure though, I'm going to follow it up further. And I'll send them the video link too!

I love the bit in that video though where they show the boot of the car loaded with water bottles and yet it clearly states in the owners manual that you should avoid carrying any containers with large amounts of liquid in the boot due to the risk of them spilling over the Battery pack :D

Ok, to confuse the matter further, I've just a response from my local dealer.

She said that she had made some enquiries and checked with the Toyota "Brand Team" and the upshot was that the USB socket is not available with the Navigation System upgrade.

Apparently the logic behind that is that the Navigation System has the facility to connect Bluetooth audio devices instead.

So if you buy an Auris HSD without the Navigation upgrade, you get the USB socket.

I'm still not convinced about this.

Now I know it's in the brochure though, I'm going to follow it up further. And I'll send them the video link too!

I love the bit in that video though where they show the boot of the car loaded with water bottles and yet it clearly states in the owners manual that you should avoid carrying any containers with large amounts of liquid in the boot due to the risk of them spilling over the battery pack :D

No, I'm not convinced by their explanation either. What about audio devices like the iPod nano that don't have bluetooth? If the Aux-In was considered sufficient for such devices, why go to the trouble of adding a USB socket to the entry model T4? Additionally, I'm not sure but I would expect the USB socket to provide the 5V feed necessary to keep the device charged, by their explanation they're in effect saying if you want to charge your device you need to get a charging lead to go from the cigarette lighter socket...

No, I'm not convinced by their explanation either. What about audio devices like the iPod nano that don't have bluetooth? If the Aux-In was considered sufficient for such devices, why go to the trouble of adding a USB socket to the entry model T4? Additionally, I'm not sure but I would expect the USB socket to provide the 5V feed necessary to keep the device charged, by their explanation they're in effect saying if you want to charge your device you need to get a charging lead to go from the cigarette lighter socket...

I have just received an email from Toyota Customer Relations with a letter attached containing an offical response from Toyota UK on the issue of USB sockets on Navigation system stereos. See attached pdf.

Basically it says that my dealer was right. USB is not on the Navigation stereo. The e-brochure information is incorrect and they are taking steps to rectify the marketing material.

If I raise the point about the video on YouTube, they are likely to say that it was a european pre-production spec and not representative of the final UK spec.

So it looks like I won't get it fitted by my dealer, however, I may still going to see if I can retro fit it by ordering a replacement USB/Aux panel socket and harness and see if it will plug in.

USB_CRM_Letter.pdf

I have just received an email from Toyota Customer Relations with a letter attached containing an offical response from Toyota UK on the issue of USB sockets on Navigation system stereos. See attached pdf.

Basically it says that my dealer was right. USB is not on the Navigation stereo. The e-brochure information is incorrect and they are taking steps to rectify the marketing material.

If I raise the point about the video on YouTube, they are likely to say that it was a european pre-production spec and not representative of the final UK spec.

So it looks like I won't get it fitted by my dealer, however, I may still going to see if I can retro fit it by ordering a replacement USB/Aux panel socket and harness and see if it will plug in.

I ordered my Auris Hybrid on 12 July and will be collecting it on Wednesday. I've just sent a letter off to Toyota HQ asking them what they can do for me, since they've not advised me of any changes in specification since I paid a deposit and signed a contract.

Hi tavy,

Since helping me out with my circuit diagram for DRL's (which are fitted and working,, thank you), maybe you could shed some light on this for me.

Ive just come in from looking at the back of my stereo(sat nav), and it has the 6+6 pins available. Is this the socket you are on about.

26169317.jpg

If so, do you have any idea of where to get an adaptor that will allow the use of a usb/aux input. Ive looked but seem to be only able to find stuff for non-sat nav stereos.

Regards

...my circuit diagram for DRL's (which are fitted and working,, thank you)...

I'm glad to "hear" that they're working... :yahoo:

...If so, do you have any idea of where to get an adaptor that will allow the use of a usb/aux input...

I wouldn't buy any interface from the net because I can't check compatibility with my stereo. B)

On the other hand I would buy this interface , only problem is the shop is situated in a city at 300 miles far from my house...

I ordered my Auris Hybrid on 12 July and will be collecting it on Wednesday. I've just sent a letter off to Toyota HQ asking them what they can do for me, since they've not advised me of any changes in specification since I paid a deposit and signed a contract.

Did you order the Navaigation System upgrade or the standard stereo?

...If so, do you have any idea of where to get an adaptor that will allow the use of a usb/aux input...

I wouldn't buy any interface from the net because I can't check compatibility with my stereo. B)

On the other hand I would buy this interface , only problem is the shop is situated in a city at 300 miles far from my house...

Thanks for the link.

I have downloaded and looked at the pdf file but unfortunately there is no sign that its compatible for the Auris. Let alone the Auris with Sat Nav head unit. I'll fire of an email and see what happens.

For now i'll Just keep looking.

Kind Regards

Did you order the Navaigation System upgrade or the standard stereo?

Sorry for the delay - I missed this one! I ordered the Navigation System and collected the car today, no USB socket but the car is awesome!

Sorry for the delay - I missed this one! I ordered the Navigation System and collected the car today, no USB socket but the car is awesome!

Isn't it just?

Had mine nearly two weeks now and it keeps getting better :-)

Well over the past week I have been emailing back and forth to this company about a compatible adaptor for the sat nav head unit. I even sent pics so they could see exactly my make and model but alas it was all in vein.

Thanks for your help Tavy. Back to googling...............

Well over the past week I have been emailing back and forth to this company about a compatible adaptor for the sat nav head unit. I even sent pics so they could see exactly my make and model but alas it was all in vein.

Thanks for your help Tavy. Back to googling...............

Just to add a further clarification to the Navigation system USB saga. I've had an email from my dealer telling me that the USB socket was fitted to pre-production model systems with the Nav upgrade, but there were "issues" and as a result a dealer bulletin was issued in July which states that all future Nav upgrades would come without the USB socket.

I'd at least like a USB socket to power my phone/mp3 player, so I'm going to get a 5v adaptor and wire a USB panel socket directly to it. It won't link to the stereo, but at least I'll be able to charge things up.

• 4 months later...

Just taken possession of new Auris TSpirit Hybrid with full sat nav. Very frustrated to find no usb as led to believe there would be going by all I read before purchase. Told have to have ipod cable fitted at my cost to be able to charge control ipod from audio controls. Only mini jack available in glove box which means no control over ipod and drained Battery if left in car and forget to turn off. Useless.

Any luck on finding USB/aux input adapter or connector?

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

Having had our Auris HSD for more than two years now, I'm still really disappointed about the lack of USB connector with the SatNav. Anyone found a suitable connector/cable??

Cheers!

Of course, I'm assuming the head unit does have the necessary connection on the back of but has just not been used. Is this correct?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links