Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Mkii Eurotrip

rodi

Hi there,

I am planning a round trip around the Europe (about 2.5k miles). I was wondering:

1. Would Prius cope with constant 8 hours’ drive?

2. Has anyone done that already in the Prius? If so, what are the pros and cons?

Best Regards

Happy Prius MKII owner ;)

My son has done many 13 hour journeys to his place in the French Alps and the return journey. His Gen 2 Prius copes with no problems. He has also travelled to and from Turin. Your Prius will easily cope with an 8 hour journey.

Hi there,

I am planning a round trip around the Europe (about 2.5k miles). I was wondering:

1. Would Prius cope with constant 8 hours’ drive?

2. Has anyone done that already in the Prius? If so, what are the pros and cons?

Best Regards

Happy Prius MKII owner ;)

I was going to answer this in a sarcastic way, but I'm not feeling too grumpy today so won't. :thumbsup:

I use my car 10 hours every day and maybe a little more on a Saturday night and no problems at all. The car stops for my hour break but that's pretty much it.

Also, went to France in the Prius back in June and covered about 2,000 miles and averaged about 60 mpg. The car ran well and was very comfortable and no problems whatsoever. We saw a handful of French Prii out there and think they must be quite rare as we would turn heads gliding silently through villages.

We saw a handful of French Prii out there and think they must be quite rare as we would turn heads gliding silently through villages.

Hi grumpy... Back from my hols!!!

I've often wondered what the plural of Prius was, you've come up with a good'un for it :)

I prefer to use Prius for both the singular and plural meaning, e.g. a Prius or many Prius.

What would be a suitable word for a collection (e.g. flock) of Prius?

We often joke at work as to what the collective noun for taxi drivers would be. I decided on a 'Moan of Cabbies' or maybe a 'Whinge of Cabbies'. Seems quite apt to me :unsure:

Thank all of you guys for your comments ... just good to know Prius is coping on motorways very well. My trip will commence during the winter (Christmas holiday) and cannot resist to hit Germans motorbahns. Do the other countries have any regulations for driving during winter … my colleague advised me that during the winter in Germany winter tyres must be worn, is that true and compulsory?

Regards

my colleague advised me that during the winter in Germany winter tyres must be worn, is that true and compulsory?

Regards

They are not 100% compulsory but if you have an accident and don't have proper winter tyres, or are stopped by a police check, you will be 'done'. Make sure your winter tyres have the M+S marking for Germany.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/winter-tyres-law

I do not know about the legal requirement for snow tyres in Germany. I do know that a Prius without snow tyres is pretty useless in snow conditions. I am talking about my sons experience in the French Alps with his Prius. He changes from normal tyres to snow tyres every November, his dealer does this for him. The Prius does well in snow with snow tyres and chains.

Thank all of you guys for your comments ... just good to know Prius is coping on motorways very well. My trip will commence during the winter (Christmas holiday) and cannot resist to hit Germans motorbahns. Do the other countries have any regulations for driving during winter … my colleague advised me that during the winter in Germany winter tyres must be worn, is that true and compulsory?

Regards

I have a new Gen 3, not a Gen 2, but I think they are reasonably comparable. Last Christmas I drove from Scotland to South Wales and back, covering about 1500 miles in a few days. This was the first big trip in the car and I found it quiet, comfortable and relaxing to drive at motorway speeds, with plenty in reserve for overtaking or climbing gradients. There was some slight wind noise above 50-60 mph, I'm guessing from the driver side wing mirror, but I think this may only affect some cars (possibly more of a Gen 3 issue). After a few minutes it didn't really bother me.

You may recall there was a lot of snow around at the time, and my biggest problem was visibility due to road salt on the side windows (but I imagine that would be an issue with most cars). Heated wing mirrors were very beneficial although they were still not immune from getting a film of crud on them. The lower rear window (under the spoiler) gets mucky very quickly but the upper one stays dry if you're travelling at speed. I gather rain repellent will help but I've been advised not to use it on the front windscreen.

Despite the cold weather I averaged about 50-52 mpg (calculated from tank refills) at motorway speeds (for one tank I averaged 61 mph).

Since Christmas I've been on one or two long trips (in better weather), including 650 miles in one day, about 12 hours on the road around 70mph a lot of the time, and again no problem with the car. I just hope you are planning a couple of stops during your 8 hour drive!

I vaguely recall some people (I would suggest a small minority) have commented on the seats being a little uncomfortable and the sweep of the windscreen wipers causing visibility problems but it hasn't been an issue for me.

If I were you I would properly research tyre regulation (and headlights, safety kit etc.). Somewhere like the AA might be able to give practical advice - personally I would be suprised if Germany enforced local tyre regulations on British vehicles but it is sensible to make sure your car is as safe as possible for the expected road conditions.

I prefer to use Prius for both the singular and plural meaning, e.g. a Prius or many Prius.

What would be a suitable word for a collection (e.g. flock) of Prius?

hi all

how about a metering of cabbies

:yes:

A whisper of Prius.

A stealth of Prius.

Erm, collective name for group Prius seems to be harder than for cabbies. :unsure:

A whisper of Prius.

A stealth of Prius.

Erm, collective name for group Prius seems to be harder than for cabbies. :unsure:

Nah, it's dead easy - it's A Smug of Prii :yahoo:

A whisper of Prius.

A stealth of Prius.

Nah, it's dead easy - it's A Smug of Prii :yahoo:

hi grumpy,you will like this

a pride of prius.

Despite the cold weather I averaged about 50-52 mpg (calculated from tank refills) at motorway speeds (for one tank I averaged 61 mph).

If I would get 60mpg on motorway in the winter weather that will be fine. I'll need to read a bit more about motorway drive technique as I am getting 50-55mpg now … I’ll try 40psi front and 38psi rear inflation tyres as I read that may help ;)

If I would get 60mpg on motorway in the winter weather that will be fine. I'll need to read a bit more about motorway drive technique as I am getting 50-55mpg now … I’ll try 40psi front and 38psi rear inflation tyres as I read that may help ;)

If you increase tyre pressures to that degree you will lose grip for cornering and braking, 35 front and 33 rear is the recommended for a gen2 no doubt similar for a gen3 (others will confirm that)

On a motorway I get to 71/72 (the speedo is 3mph fast) and put the cruise control on. The computer can drive much more economically than you or I can.... Try it and see hat happens.

I though a group of taxis is called a 'rare sight' especially when you need one

I thought we had done tyre pressures already :D

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114252

The recommended pressures are just recommendations. Also, the tyre pressures change due to heat etc. so you could be 35psi when cold but after a few miles, they will be a lot higher due to the tyres warming up. YMMV

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links