Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ss2 Or Ss3?

JASON01

I have just bought a imported Celica which has been in this country since 2001, but the guy who sold it to me did not know which 'SS' model it was! - i am not overly bothered as it was such a good price, but the more i think about it, the more i would now like to know.

I know it is not an SS1 as it has engine number 3S-GE (not FE).

I know that an SS2 is supposed to be about 190bhp and an SS3 about 170bhp but how can i confirm which one it is?

Is it to do with the model number?

I have not found any websites that can help, can anyone else help please?

a lot of imports can be identified by the first few digits from the VIN. mine is GX81-xxxxxxx

type the first few digits in a search engine, and it will give you a lot of websites, including one with all serial numbers and build dates. you should be able to detemine the engine from there.

www.vinden.nl for search engine (it's dutch but it's good)

good luck

rickers

You're better off asking in the "Celica" section of this forum.

I'm not too clued up on the 'SS' meanings, and I just found out that there's SS2 gen6's and SS2 gen7's !!!

On the gen6's they're both 3S-GE engines, but what sketchy info I've found is that the SS2 is the standard 3S-GE (168 - 174 bhp) and the SS3 is the BEAMS VVT-i 3S-GE - I saw this mentioned somewhere on the web as being 180bhp but I'd have thought it'd be identical bhp to the one that's put in the Jap rev5 mk2 MR2, and that's 200bhp.

So, how can you tell which engine you got? Open up the bonnet and if the engine cam cover is red in colour with BEAMS VVT-i written across it then you're a lucky boy (I wish I had on in my MR2 :) )

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links