Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Battery Life

junebug1701

On this side of the pond it seems the original Furukawa batteries installed by the factory only seem to last about 3 years on average. Symptoms begin by longer starting times when the engine is cold. It may take an extra 3-4 seconds of cranking even though the starter seems to be turning at full speed. Sometimes warning lights on the panel such as ABS and traction control appear. Eventually motorized accessories like the sunroof start to play up when the engine is off. Finally, if the Battery goes totally flat and is jumped off, the electric power steering will act erratically. The power steering motor requires a LOT of power.

All the Japan-built RAV's seem to come with Furukawa batteries over here. The ones built in Canada have Johnson Controls batteries fitted, but those have only been rolling off the line since November 2008.

What brand of Battery do you get over there, and how long are they lasting?

Having had one of my RAVs for 16 years, I can say from experience that the petrol 4.1 car had one of the smallest batteries - and on average I've only had about 3 years before needing a replacement...no matter which make.

Nowadays there are more choices available, with a wider range of prices. I wonder whether the design never allowed a decent size Battery to be installed?

I haven't got the spec to hand at the moment but on my Diesel Engined RAV it has a Yuasa Battery and since the 4.3 was introduced in March 2003 I don't believe we (any club owners with a similar vehicle) have had one fail. I will double check my new RAV when back in the UK.

All the Japan-built RAV's seem to come with Furukawa batteries over here. The ones built in Canada have Johnson Controls batteries fitted, but those have only been rolling off the line since November 2008.

What brand of battery do you get over there, and how long are they lasting?

Furukuwa was in my UK October 2007 registered T180. Failed last month.

What's strange is my Furukawa Battery has the cells sealed over with a label that states "maintenance free". Yet another label says to add distilled water if the magic eye changes color. So much for maintenance free!

On the post 2009 models the magic eye has gone.

Now that's magic! :yahoo:

on my Diesel Engined RAV it has a Yuasa Battery and since the 4.3 was introduced in March 2003 I don't believe we (any club owners with a similar vehicle) have had one fail. I will double check my new RAV when back in the UK.

That's not saying a lot. Yuasa bought the old Lucas Battery Factory in Forman's Road Birmingham. :lol: No, to be serious, I heard both good and bad things about that place. Now long gone I think, because it is not "sexy" to make things in the UK anymore. :(

I know, I know, they are unlikely to source a Battery from the UK for a Jap built vehicle.

On the post 2009 models the magic eye has gone.

Mad Moody wanted it back :unsure:

Back in the good old days, Yuasa batteries lasted up to ten years on most Toyota models, they were incredible! For some reason, starting with the 4.1, they fitted a small Battery that just wasnt up to the job. I have to say that in general Toyota batteries are really good, even the Optifit replacement range that they sell these days last a good long time. They come with a three year warranty but last much longer. When I were a lad (altogether now) I worked for a Lucas agent, we sold Exide batteries by the ton and would get hundreds in stock by the end of October. In those days, the first sign of frost would have people coming in droves to get a new Battery fitted, one of my jobs would be to load up the old J4 van with dud batteries and off to the lead works to weigh them in for scrap, there was an area in the yard where you turned all the old batteries upside down for the acid to run out into the ground :eek: They have built houses where that old lead works used to be, hope they did a bit of soil cleaning before handing over to the new owners! :sick:

Kingo :thumbsup:

aye - there's money in old batteries again - about £300 a ton.

We use Yuasa batteries for alarm panels and these things seem to last a lifetime. Maybe I could try banking them together to make up a car Battery? (Joke as they are not designed for that sort of use).

My old Corolla had a Yuasa Battery made under licence by Lucas. It was 8 years old when it did eventually fail and it weighed a ton when I came to lift it out. I suppose the Battery is as good as the materials inside and if Lucas are making it to a spec the finished product comes out OK (about the only thing that was OK from Lucas!!!). Shcm - did you notice what brand our current battry is?

did you notice what brand our current battry is?

Furukawa. Big "FB" on the side of it, along with min/max electrolyte level lines.

I would object to having "FB" on the side of my Battery!!!!

I am just about to check the dimensions and ratings of Funnerburd Two's Battery, in the wife's 3 door Rav.

That's twice times I have left the ignition on for short periods by accident, and it went totally flat. I suspect it could be the original Battery, so its 6th birthday is this month...time to change.

Any advice on upgrades to standard fare would be gratefully recepticated....that includes McKingo.

Anyone travelling north in the next few weeks and can buy cheaper than up here will earn a large Monkey Shoulder and a beer.

Big Kev. :toast:

I would object to having "FB" on the side of my battery!!!! EH? WHAT WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE........(TEMPTED BUT WILL DESIST) :censor:

I am just about to check the dimensions and ratings of Funnerburd Two's battery, in the wife's 3 door Rav. SHE MUST BE A STUNNER TO HAVE A 3 DOOR... WHEN CAN I MEET HER? :toast:

That's twice times I have left the ignition on for short periods by accident (DRUNK IN CHARGE OF AN IGNITION KEY?) , and it went totally flat. I suspect it could be the original battery, so its 6th birthday is this month...time to change.... WHAT? THE CAR? THE BATTERY? OR THE WIFE? I CAN ARRANGE PART-EXCHANGES :lol:

Any advice on upgrades to standard fare would be gratefully recepticated....that includes McKingo. I CAN SWAP YOU 3 DUD BATTERIES IF YOU LIKE, NONE OF WHICH ARE SMALL ENUF TAE FIT YER MOTOR.

Anyone travelling north in the next few weeks and can buy cheaper than up here will earn a large Monkey Shoulder and a beer. CHEAP? HOW CHEAP? WHAT PRICE AND WHAT SIZE? ARE YOU NORTH OF THE M74? WHAT IF I NEED TO TRAVEL SOUTH... DO I GET A BONUS?

Big Kev. :toast:

If yer wifey drives a 3 door, whit oan earth are ye driving??

The Optifit batteries from your local dealer are good McKevalino, sadly I cant post one up to you, the postal service or couriers dont like the sulphuric nectar leaking in their vans :eek:

• 1 month later...

The Optifit batteries from your local dealer are good McKevalino, sadly I cant post one up to you, the postal service or couriers dont like the sulphuric nectar leaking in their vans :eek:

Our 02 RAV-4 VVT-i auto has the original FB Battery but I have been having my doubts about it over the past few really cold mornings. Had the local Toyota dealer test it and they said it was "good" but "needs a re-charge". This despite it only doing long fast m-way runs over past couple of months! Hooked it up to an Optimate III and even after a long-ish run, it still needed some charge before I got two greens (meaning it's OK & up to full charge). I reckon it needs replacing & don't want to wait for it to die on me just when I can least afford it to.

Any comments? Any recommendations for replacement? I think I can get a FB from one of the local tyre & Battery independents. Can you still get such a thing as a Heavy Duty unit and, if so, are they any better than standard?

Thanks for any feedback.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links