Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Omg - Here We Go Again!

Carltona123

Greetings once again, people of the hybrid.

After the disappointment of last weekend and the Prius that never was, I've got a test drive in another Gen 2 tomorrow.

It's a private sale and I am keen not to make an a**e of myself. So - can someone tell me the simple sequence of events from start up to park up? Is it....foot on brake-put the "key" in-dash lights come on-press start button-move selector to D-foot off brake and onto gas-drive around for a bit-foot on brake-press the green P button-press start button-foot off brake.

Is that it? Or at the end do I have to do something with the gear selector?

Ta

thats pretty much nailed it, apart from release handbrake with left foot, and apply again when parked of course. That IS kinda important!!

Enjoy your drive! and good luck.

Do you HAVE to put the foot/hand brake on?

I've always thought the general rule is (having had various conventional automatics over the years) that application of the parking brake is not strictly necessary if the car is parked on the level, but if you are on a slope then always engage the parking brake first and then select 'park', and this stops the locking mechanism in the gearbox solely having to support the weight of the car, which it isn't really designed to do. I always observe this rule, even if I am in traffic and stationary on a slope, then I'll use the parking brake in conjunction with the park button.

To be consistent, I always apply the parking brake, that way I know that I'll always automatically disengage it before setting off.

Another disappointment. Guy was supposed to meet me at half three to sell me his car - well that was the plan. But he didn't turn up so that is the end of that. Don't think I'll be chasing him up on his 37p/min Autotrader number.

Put it down to experience ? Not really. Spent my lunchtime in the bank withdrawing £8000 from an ISA account (that can't go back in so that's the end of that tax allowance and interest) and £25 on a Hpi check. Very fed up.

I feel for you mate - it's never fun to get let down.

Look after that cash, it's a lot to carry around

For info - the first car I passed on is now shown in all its glory or lack of it on the RRG Salford Keys website @ £7995.

Today's timewaster is a private sale at £8999 and is still on the Autotrader site. Blue. Like the air around here.

For info - the first car I passed on is now shown in all its glory or lack of it on the RRG Salford Keys website @ £7995.

Today's timewaster is a private sale at £8999 and is still on the Autotrader site. Blue. Like the air around here.

Are you in a position to go back to the Salford one, or did you burn your bridges there?

Perhaps the creep who let you down makes his money out of the 37p a minute...............I am sure it will all come right in the end :toast:

Are you in a position to go back to the Salford one, or did you burn your bridges there?

You know if they'd presented that car with the b****y wheeltrims on I would have had it. A great price and it drove beautifully. It was due a service but we could have maybe negotiated on that. But I was miffed that they'd dragged me all that way without disclosing the obvious (the photo wasn't up then) and it shook my confidence in them. I thought they were treating me like a bit of a mug. You have admit it looks bad without those trims,and even worse in the flesh. The bodywork didn't look like it had been that well looked after either, plus there was some misting in the rear light cluster. Not insurmountable, but tricky to sort as I live 100 miles from the dealer. I just thought that maybe the previous keeper hadn't loved it! What did encourage me was the lengths they went to to get me back to the showroom - even at such a knockout price. I suppose I'm just a fussy b*****r and want the best but don't want to pay for it!

As for swallowing my pride and going back - I'm tempted but don't think I will. The car was three and a half years old so plan now is to save for a bit and maybe even shoot for an 09. BTW - to crown a perfect day I had a fallback position which collapsed at 3 pm as well; a Toyota dealer was advertising a 2008 T Spirit with 30K and a full history for just £8600. I was first in the phone queue this morning to register my interest. I was in a hurry to go to a meeting so didn't put a deposit on it - plus I thought I was getting one this afternoon anyway. Turned out it had been mispriced - I don't suppose it would have been binding anyway. Dealer very apologetic and said he would call me back with details of another car. Needless to say he didn't/hasn't.

Yes, I'd agree the grey Prius from Salford Quays doesn't look good on the photo, and it was taken when wet so it had to be bad to not look good in those conditions. Some people (not me I could rant about alloy wheels but I won't) think the alloys wheels look nicer without the plastic covers, although I think normally they buy a small plastic cap to fit the centre of the wheel.

The deep blue one looked nice in the photos, but maybe it was too good to be true? Only 12k miles on the clock and for 9k?

What a rotten time you are having trying to buy a Prius. Perhaps search Toyota dealer web sites in the Midlands. I am in the South Midlands; our area Toyota dealer is Steven Eagell. Perhaps contact them to see if they can help. I have found them reliable. Other members may suggest other good dealers. I always think buying privately is a big risk unless you know that person well. I can fully understand why you do not want the first car you saw. Of course you want the best deal you can get. I do hope you get a good Prius soon. Keep us informed.

Chris.

Cheers guys! Vey theraputic talking to you. Just taking a break from stuffing nine grand into my mattress - you can't be too careful.

The negotiations I had with the blue Prius guy weren't in confidence so I don't have a problem sharing them with you and it's all true anyway. It was a great price. I phoned his 10p/minute Autotrader ripoff number as opposed to the 37p/min one. I think the difference is that for 37p/min you get to talk to them in person but for 10p/min you get to leave them a message! Imagine my delight when he returned my call last Sunday evening. He sounded like a good guy; a Doctor, it was his wife's car and her pride and joy. I think he said he was leaving the country. BUT and I don't know if this was good or bad - he did admit without any prompting that it had been involved in a little accident. Story was that it was parked up and someone pulling away from behind hit the rear bumper. Bumper replaced not via the insurance company repairer but Toyota. He said he insisted because of the proximity of the Battery under the rear seat. But that was 18 months ago and all had been well since. That was my only niggle, but I actually convinced myself it was an indicator of his honesty - he didn't have to tell me and it didn't show upon the HPI report (that I paid £25 for).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links