Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is Front Pad Replacement A Diy Job?

Grumpy Cabbie

Got a puncture last night and whilst I was getting the tyre repaired from a garage I trust they advised that the front pads were getting low (below or bordering 2mm).

Is it an easy DIY job or job for local garage to do, or is it something that the main dealers MUST do?

Are there any sensors or things that need resetting or is it just like a normal car?

Appreciate it if any of the dealer members (PartsKing?) could clarify.

Cheers guys and guyettes.

If it anything like my Corolla, then very easy, should take about 30mins per wheel.

I'm not one for doing car stuff, but so far done this twice now, so looks like it easy for me.

Case of, get new set of pads for your car, have a clamp and sockets set at hand too, jack up and chock your car in place, remove wheel, where the brake caliper should be two bolts on the reverse side of it, remove then and should lift off but a hammer might just help it too, the caliper needs to be reset so this is where the clamp comes in handy and push it back, the old brake pads should slide out and replace with new ones, fit caliper back on and bolt on the tow bolts again, fit wheel and should be done, then do same on other side.

I'm sure someone will highlight anything i've missed or done wrong, here's a LINK of some Nrgizerbunny pics of changing the pads too, so should help too.

Bing

I should have put it another way. Pads are an easy DIY job but is there anything on the Prius that affects you doing them yourself? I don't want to mess up any settings to do with the regen system etc.

I should have put it another way. Pads are an easy DIY job but is there anything on the Prius that affects you doing them yourself? I don't want to mess up any settings to do with the regen system etc.

From what I read on that link I provided, I personally wouldn't get involved. I have changed pads on various cars in the past, but for the sake of saving a few quid, is it really gonna be worth it? It can't be that expensive to have Toyota do it for you, and if you attempted to change them yourself and messed something up, then you'll need to pay Toyota to put it right.

Looking at Toyota's Fixed Price promise, wouldn't that be about 100 quid at a main dealer.

Given yours is a working vehicle, is it worth it going anywhere else even if paying less?

Yeah I know it's only £100 but I need them doing NOW. I'll ring the dealers on Monday and see what they can do - they're usually very accommodating. But the local 'taxi' garage will do pads there and then and don't charge much for parts or labour. A saving of £50-£60 and no worries of being cross sold new discs etc.

Would having the pads changed by the "taxi Garage" affect your warranty and will they use genuine Toyota Prius parts?

Doing it yourself sounds fine but almost every time I have worked on cars I usually found there was something else needed doing which I never had parts for. Mr T gets my car work these days as I am past lying on a cold wet ground repairing or servicing cars. Hope you get it sorted OK.

Only 30k miles on a set of front pads??

As for you question, I can't check on the Gen 3, but for the Gen 2 you apparently can if you take some precautions such as NOT bleeding the brake fluid and waiting at least 2 minutes after switching OFF before starting any work on the brakes. I don't think that I would want to even if I still did such things myself, as I don't like the idea that system could potential wake up in certain situations.

Supposedly about 60k so I am about half that!

Am taking it to the main dealers in about an hours time for the work and will get them to check I don't have a sticking caliper etc.

Sorry GC only just seen this post, don't think there are any issues with fitting of pads, but would just need to check with our service guys

Kingo :thumbsup:

Just returned from the dealers. Pads fitted £100 all in. :thumbsup:

Got them to check the calipers etc but all ok. They advised there was a little more life in the pads (but I needed new due to upcoming strict taxi test) and could have got about 40k out of them.

Still not too bad to get 33k miles out of a set of fronts for my job on an auto. I can live with replacing the front pads once a year. The rears though are virtually untouched.

I also renewed my club Toyota at the same time. Is that not the bargain of the year? :toast:

Sounds OK to me, the pads are best part of £50 by themselves ;)

I removed and refitted the front pads on SWMBO's Gen 2 when one started squealing, they were very straightforward, a few more shims than some cars but a very simple job. The regen side of things is not connected to the calliper it's all at the other end, the ABS module and the MGs I believe.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links