Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Error Code 1251

ed_liv

Hi Folks,

First post on this forum and my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I have yet another (2003) D4D T3X going into limp mode following heavy acceleration with a cold engine. It has done this since I acquired the car with only 15,000 miles on it. The engine runs flawlessly once it has warmed up and I have now run it to 50,000 miles.

The error code returned is P1251, “Step Motor for Turbocharger Control Circuit Intermittent” . I have had the EGR valve cleaned and this made a dramatic improvement to both this problem and the fuel economy but has unfortunately not been a complete fix. A Toyota garage ‘fix’ for the problem is an entire new turbocharger at a ‘reduced’ cost of £1200. I rather think this is some kind of sensor problem rather than a problem that warrants this expense.

A couple of questions for those that might be in the know on this topic:

Is the step motor the top portion of the EGR Valve?

Will a replacement EGR valve come with a new step motor?

Is it worth sourcing a whole new EGR/Step motor assembly or does the problem lie elsewhere?

My thanks in advance for any responses.

Ed

Hi Folks,

First post on this forum and my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I have yet another (2003) D4D T3X going into limp mode following heavy acceleration with a cold engine. It has done this since I acquired the car with only 15,000 miles on it. The engine runs flawlessly once it has warmed up and I have now run it to 50,000 miles.

The error code returned is P1251, “Step Motor for Turbocharger Control Circuit Intermittent” . I have had the EGR valve cleaned and this made a dramatic improvement to both this problem and the fuel economy but has unfortunately not been a complete fix. A Toyota garage ‘fix’ for the problem is an entire new turbocharger at a ‘reduced’ cost of £1200. I rather think this is some kind of sensor problem rather than a problem that warrants this expense.

Is it worth sourcing a whole new EGR/Step motor assembly or does the problem lie elsewhere?

Hi,there!

I have something similar if it is not the same; post ''EGR valve''. EML on and the car goes on limp mode, once worm I used to turn off and then on the engine and with the light still on the car was ok for about a month or two, then it went completely on limp mode. I bought a new EGR valve and put it on. No change at all, light on and the car on limp mode. They read the code twice and erase it twice( P0488 as before). The only difference now was the car is like before- when cold goes on limp mode once worm goes normal after I turn off/on the engine. I left it at Toyota today to see what they are going to say. Maybe I bought an EGR valve when I sould not?

Regards

Palmerino

Ed

Hi Folks,

Hi,there!

I have something similar if it is not the same; post ''EGR valve''. EML on and the car goes on limp mode, once worm I used to turn off and then on the engine and with the light still on the car was ok for about a month or two, then it went completely on limp mode. I bought a new EGR valve and put it on. No change at all, light on and the car on limp mode. They read the code twice and erase it twice( P0488 as before). The only difference now was the car is like before- when cold goes on limp mode once worm goes normal after I turn off/on the engine. I left it at Toyota today to see what they are going to say. Maybe I bought an EGR valve when I sould not?

Regards

Palmerino

Ed

Hi Palmerino,

Thanks for your reply. I'd be interested to learn what your garage recomends.

Best fo luck.

Hi Folks,

Hi,there!

Regards

Palmerino

Ed

Hi Palmerino,

Thanks for your reply. I'd be interested to learn what your garage recomends.

Best fo luck.

Hi, Ed!

I picked it up today. Toyota charged me only for an hour (£ 123.38) inspite they have been checking the car for more than 2,5 hours. The verdict is: nothing wrong with the EGR valve, it is the Throtlle body- new one £550 including labor, I do not know about VAT, maybe on top of that. I told them that I have to sleep on it as it comes a bit too much for me- every week over £500 for the car and I already serviced it 2 months ago- tyres, oil, filters £600. I don't really know what to do, it was good car.

Regards

Palmerino

Thanks for the update and sorry to hear about the diagnosis. On the bright side, at least they are not suggesting replacing the entire turbo unit. Hope this works out for you and I share your sentiments as to what to do about it, nothing worse than throwing good money after bad.

All the best.

Thanks for the update and sorry to hear about the diagnosis. On the bright side, at least they are not suggesting replacing the entire turbo unit. Hope this works out for you and I share your sentiments as to what to do about it, nothing worse than throwing good money after bad.

All the best.

Hi mate, some info on you problems hope you are getting closer to sorting it.

Pete.

post-74463-128653493592_thumb.jpg

post-74463-128653499285_thumb.jpg

post-74463-128653506266_thumb.jpg

Just a follow up for anyone that this might be of interest to. I fitted a new EGR valve today (this contains the stepper motor) and the car is now running normally when the engine is cold. The replacement part was sourced on-line for £180. A lot cheaper than the replacement turbo charger that Toyota wanted to fit to 'fix' the problem. Hope this might be of some assistance to anyone with a similar problem.

Ed

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links