Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Hsd 17" Wheel Owners

Terry953

To All Auris HSD 17" Alloy Wheel Owners - Be Warned

Horrific experience occurred with my 17" alloys.

Driving around Bath had to pull over left to avoid a tourist bus coming around a sharp corner, a horrible crunching scraping noise ensued.

Wife goes ballistic - being supportive [as non driving wives are], part owner, and striving to come to a valid reason as to why her PRATT of a husband did this, swears that the entire L/H side has been ripped to pieces.

In the mean time I'm trying to manage the situation as well as I can, dealing with all the driving demands and external distractions of the modern age around Bath as us chaps do, I coped well and pulled into the first parking place to examine the damage.

URRGGHH!! - NASTY Extensive scraping and gouging of the wheel rim edge.

How was this possible I asked myself? My low rolling resistance, all singing, all dancing, Michelin tyres had an exterior profile that appears to protect the rim edge. TAKE MY WORD FOR IT IT DOESN'T

I had this problem on a Yaris with alloys a few years back, and when checked carefully the wheel rim extended beyond the tyre so I was aware of that problem.

Examine your 17" Michelins ASAP, the rubber profile does extend beyond the rim edge - but take my word for it when push against a kerb comes to shove hard it buckles.

Anyone got suggestions for a wheel repair job or any similar experiences?

In the time being I am going to develop my spatial awareness of my L/H front wheel vis-à-vis the kerb.

TerryB

To All Auris HSD 17" Alloy Wheel Owners - Be Warned

Horrific experience occurred with my 17" alloys.

Driving around Bath had to pull over left to avoid a tourist bus coming around a sharp corner, a horrible crunching scraping noise ensued.

Wife goes ballistic - being supportive [as non driving wives are], part owner, and striving to come to a valid reason as to why her PRATT of a husband did this, swears that the entire L/H side has been ripped to pieces.

In the mean time I'm trying to manage the situation as well as I can, dealing with all the driving demands and external distractions of the modern age around Bath as us chaps do, I coped well and pulled into the first parking place to examine the damage.

URRGGHH!! - NASTY Extensive scraping and gouging of the wheel rim edge.

How was this possible I asked myself? My low rolling resistance, all singing, all dancing, Michelin tyres had an exterior profile that appears to protect the rim edge. TAKE MY WORD FOR IT IT DOESN'T

I had this problem on a Yaris with alloys a few years back, and when checked carefully the wheel rim extended beyond the tyre so I was aware of that problem.

Examine your 17" Michelins ASAP, the rubber profile does extend beyond the rim edge - but take my word for it when push against a kerb comes to shove hard it buckles.

Anyone got suggestions for a wheel repair job or any similar experiences?

In the time being I am going to develop my spatial awareness of my L/H front wheel vis-à-vis the kerb.

TerryB

hi terry953

its a bit late for your problem now,but if you google wheel protectors,there are choices of protectors that will help the odd scrape, but will not stop a bent rim.

there a loads of wheel repairers about,ask your dealers to recommend one, they use them on s/hand cars they sell.

TBH I wouldn't bother. I scraped one of mine last week. Face it - it's going to happen! If you fix it this time you'll probably be forking out again soon. Never thought that a projecting tyre wall would give any protection as they are not rigid. BTW I had a puncture the other week. Wait to you see the replacement cost of the Michelin. Now that's definitely worth some tears!!

I think it depends how hard you hit the kerb and in particular, how high it is.

I clipped a low kerb with the rear wheel, turning a bit too tight left into a junction to avoid another vehicle coming out, and the rim protector on the Michelin Primacy tyre did its job not a mark on the wheel. Maybe because the car's lighter at the back end, I don't know.

I do know, from 37 years of driving, that Michelins are tough tyres and will take some abuse, you get what you pay for IMO.

hi terry953

its a bit late for your problem now,but if you google wheel protectors,there are choices of protectors that will help the odd scrape, but will not stop a bent rim.

there a loads of wheel repairers about,ask your dealers to recommend one, they use them on s/hand cars they sell.

Thanks 'acetip' I had never heard of 'wheel protectors' so followed your advice and found a couple of firms that seemed to fit the bill but they each had problems in that one didn't have any stock of any size or colour and the other has stopped marketing over the internet and would be publishing a list of dealers soon!

In the mean time I think I'll just slap on a few coats of silver touch up paint to keep the weather out whilst I develop my road positioning skills before I go for a repair job.Shall keep my eyes on the firms though as I like the basic idea.

Cheers TerryB

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links