Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aftermarket Nav Unit For Gen3 - Flyaudio

johalareewi

Just seen over on PriusChat that someone has swapped out the standard CD player from their series II (similar to T3 here) for a FlyAudio multimedia/nav unit.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-audio-electronics/84698-installed-my-flyaudio-headunit-over-weekend.html

This would appear to be a straight swap with minimum messing about and the steering wheel controls still work.

http://www.flyaudio.net/product_id.asp?id=217&xid=1

FlyAudio have just started up in Europe but only have a holding page and an email address.

http://www.fly-audio.nl/

I asked them about availability in Europe. They have a European version of the unit which they distribute via the Toyota dealer network;- But not in the UK where they have no dealers.

This looks like an interesting way to get built in nav (and other goodies) in a gen3 without having to go to a T-Spirit.

Or perhaps it could be a replacement Nav for the Toyota one to get map updates.

It could also be a way to get decent iPod integration.

Am finding out a bit more about the European unit.

Was wondering if Parts-King had heard of FlyAudio - they also do Lexus units.

On the Flyaudio site, they used an old Prius Gen 2 for the exterior piccy, and then a Gen 3 for the interior shot. :bash:

On the Flyaudio site, they used an old Prius Gen 2 for the exterior piccy, and then a Gen 3 for the interior shot. :bash:

I know! :oops: The unit is for the gen3 though.

Have found out that the european version uses iGo for the satnav software but TomTom7 will be available soon.

Map updates are via an SD card but not sure where you plug it in.

Was wondering if Parts-King had heard of FlyAudio - they also do Lexus units.

Never heard of them sorry :blink:

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Update:

After much hunting around I found a UK importer of Flyaudio units (for other cars, not Prius) and asked them about the Prius unit. They hadn't heard of it but asked the chinese if it worked with RHD Prius and the answer they got was baffling.

The Malaysian Flyaudio dealer says it doesn't fit RHD Malaysian prius but Thailand dealer says it fits Thai RHD prius no problem and they have ordered lots of units. So who to believe?

Am trying to arrange a test fit with the UK dealer.

UK Flyaudio dealer is Car Vision...

http://car-vision.co.uk/

Update:

Not getting email replies from Car Vision and they aren't answering the phone. A bit ominous...

Love it how the EU site states 'True HD maps of US and Canada' and also how it violates Apple Inc copyright in several places. Whilst a very interesting product I'm wary of company with such disregard and plagiarism.

Saying all that I bet their head unit is better than Toyota's, it can't be worse ;-) Now would the satnav integrate with the HUD?

Not looking good.

The UK flyaudio dealer Car Vision has stopped replying to emails and the phone goes unanswered. I did raise a 'contact us' request on their website which I did get a reply to. But as soon as I mentioned flyaudio for a prius the emails stopped again. Not a good advert.

I actually spoke to the european distributor yesterday. And surprised them when I switched to dutch I think ;-)

It all sounds odd, they could not say whether it integrates with the hud. They didn't know the vehicle has a hud.

In addition they have no idea about the integration with ipa either besides just plug the camera in the video in.

Then they went on that it is in the final stages of testing by Toyota. Why would toyota test this product for them?

Ultimately they asked me whether I am interested in taking the distribution or resale of this product in the UK. Hmm maybe not unless they have some real detail.

The dutch distributor told me they sell through the toyota dealer network in Holland so maybe that could be how 'toyota are testing the units'. They also wouldn't sell direct to me but only to a UK dealer. Or at a push, they could direct me to one of their dutch dealers who might be able to sell and export to me.

Although there are promising stories on Prius Chat about this unit in LHD pri, trying one in a RHD UK prius is proving to be a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

The UK flyaudio dealer has come back! They have hitched up with the EU distributor and can now do a deal on the Prius unit. Am waiting to find out what sort of deal.

EU unit is on its way :yahoo:

They have changed the satnav software to Sygic but if that is no good, any Windows CE satnav software on a MicroSD card can be used (in theory). Being on a MicroSD card, the satnav can be easily updated using a PC (with card reader).

Also looking forward to playing MP3s from a USB stick and the backup camera.

Watch this space for my installation experience...

• 2 weeks later...

Following this thread over on prius chat...

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-audio-electronics/90622-in-dash-navigation-right-hand-drive-prius.html

Car Vision has decided that the flyaudio unit is not going to be a good fit for a RHD prius so we have called the test fit off. :crybaby:

To continue the now it's on. now it's off feature of this thread... Car Vision have contacted me to say that FlyAudio are producing a RHD version for the UK. Test unit is on its way so see how it fits.

Looking at the priuschat thread that would make a few people happy.

• 3 weeks later...

To continue the now it's on. now it's off feature of this thread... Car Vision have contacted me to say that FlyAudio are producing a RHD version for the UK. Test unit is on its way so see how it fits.

Hi any news on when you will receive this unit

Hi any news on when you will receive this unit

Have just checked and "3D Scans have been done and the moulding press is well underway".

So it is still travelling through the factory. Seems like they are doing a proper job.

I must say the Flyaudio unit looks really good and is so far, the only aftermarket system I have seen that doesn't spoil the factory look of the car.

It just amazes me that they can be financially viable to manufacture.

I would suspect that only a small percentage of owners will actually want one.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links