Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stopping Procedure

BlueValour

Hitherto, when I have stopped the car, I have just put the parking brake on and turned off the engine. However, I notice in one of the instruction leaflets that it says that P should be engaged before turning off the engine. Is this the recommended procedure?

Please tell me you're joking? :rolleyes:

"Toyota Prius Information Guide

B. Stopping Procedure

(1) Stop your Prius completely by pressing the brake pedal and then apply the parking brake.

(2) Press the "P" position switch. The indicator on the switch comes on and the transaxle is locked to "P".

Note:

Be sure to put the transaxle into "P" when parking."

That's what it says!

When I put mine away for the night

Stop

Put in P

Switch off

Lock doors

Close garage

Go indoors and make coffee

:thumbsup:

Please tell me you're joking? :rolleyes:

"Toyota Prius Information Guide

B. Stopping Procedure

(1) Stop your Prius completely by pressing the brake pedal and then apply the parking brake.

(2) Press the "P" position switch. The indicator on the switch comes on and the transaxle is locked to "P".

Note:

Be sure to put the transaxle into "P" when parking."

That's what it says!

Sure is. As you've discovered, the Toyota designers have tried to protect the car from owners who don't read the manual! :)

Hitherto, when I have stopped the car, I have just put the parking brake on and turned off the engine. However, I notice in one of the instruction leaflets that it says that P should be engaged before turning off the engine. Is this the recommended procedure?

No not for Aurisis

Auris procedure :--

1.Stop car [on foot brake - don't bother about what gear you are in - but foot off throttle] - Apply parking brake.

2.Press 'Start' button. [Observe performance indicator for possible 'EXCELLENT' consumption result on R/H display]

3.Retract wing mirrors, and exit car.

OH yes the P thingy - forget it as when you press START [to stop everything ??] it automatically applies the Park situation to the tranaxle.

[Don't know why they bothered ? :blink:

TerryB

When I stop- I use the footbrake to stop, press the power button to shut down whatever it is makes the car go and apply the foot parking brake. All done contemporaneously in about 0.4 seconds. Exit car, lock it and find tea/beer/wine etc. :rolleyes:

Stopping procedure may vary with different models I think. The OP had (has) a Gen2 Prius so I would reckon the excerpt he posted from the manual is definitive.

On Gen3 you can

1) Stop the car using the brake pedal.

2) Press the POWER button. The engine(s) will power down and P (Park) is automatically engaged on the transmission.

3) Set the foot operated park brake (optional, recommended if on a slope) *

You can then exit the car, stroke the door handle to lock it, and walk away with the obligatory admiring glance back.

R04drunner1

* Note that when you POWER down before setting the foot operated park brake, the red warning triangle does not appear on the dash that shows the parking brake has been properly engaged. I suppose it's logical that if you POWER down then the dashboard lights (apart from the security lamp) become non-functional but it is a tad disconcerting. You have to go by the loud click(s) to be reassured!

Luckily, if you forget to press P before turning the Prius off, P is engaged for you when you press POWER to turn off.

Because I mainly park on a level surface, at work and at home, all I do is stop with the footbrake and press the start button to turn it off, it automatically applies the "P" when you turn it off.

I occasionally use the foot operated parking brake if I park on a slope.

Because I mainly park on a level surface, at work and at home, all I do is stop with the footbrake and press the start button to turn it off, it automatically applies the "P" when you turn it off.

I occasionally use the foot operated parking brake if I park on a slope.

Me too - I've become terribly lazy since getting the Prius! The foot operated parking brake is a bit of a pain - certainly only to be used as a "Parking Brake" and nothing like the "Handbrake" in more "traditional" cars.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links