Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ran Into A Prius Owner Today...

Seamaster73

...quite by chance, walking home from the gym.

A gleaming black 2010 Prius caught my eye, parked up on a side street. I couldn't resist the temptation to have a nose around it. It was a T Spirit model on an 09 registration.

While I was checking it out, the owner suddenly appeared, to my embarrassment, and I hastily explained that I wasn't casing it, but that I was a prospective Prius purchaser.

The owner - a charming lady - then insisted that I sit in it, and she spent at least twenty minutes cheerfully answering my questions about it. Her only complaints were the boot space (too shallow), the rear visibility, and that she felt it to be too big after her previous car (a Honda Civic). She also said the car had recently developed an annoying dash rattle that the dealer has been unable to fix and which was driving her to distraction. But she countered this by saying that three colleagues had identical Priuses that had been faultless ("I think I got a Friday afternoon car", she sighed. "I didn't think the Japanese had Friday afternoons", I replied.) I found the sitting position comfortable, with plenty of headroom, but noted the knee-room is definitely tighter than on my baby Benz. However I didn't really want to do a full adjustment of the seat, given that it wasn't my car! I also noted that the dark grey interior was less gloomy than it seems in the brochure, and the quality of the materials, while not quite up to MB standards, was pretty high. Black really suits the car. I came away impressed.

Just sharing the story as I was so struck by the warmth and friendliness of a total stranger, and the enthusiasm with which she spoke of the car. A really nice random encounter. The 90% certainty that I'll be ordering one went up to 95% today.

Just sharing the story as I was so struck by the warmth and friendliness of a total stranger, and the enthusiasm with which she spoke of the car. A really nice random encounter. The 90% certainty that I'll be ordering one went up to 95% today.

Didn't you ask her to show you the soles of her feet in the wing mirrors? Your potential certainty to order one might just have risen by that final 5%.

Didn't you ask her to show you the soles of her feet in the wing mirrors? Your potential certainty to order one might just have risen by that final 5%.

Fuel miser - You are a CAD sir :ffs: [by the way is that with the mirrors folded or not? :censor: ]

Fuel miser - You are a CAD sir :ffs: [by the way is that with the mirrors folded or not? :censor: ]

But we're such an accommodating bunch, us Prius owners, all he'd have had to do was ask, I'm sure as a Prius owner she'd have obliged (for example, we're perfectly happy to share our forum with Auris owners, but do we complain?). As for the mirrors, well at least on a gen 3 they'd be heated, so they would keep her tootsies warm.

It's not just me then. I end up showing quite a number of my customers round the car - almost a mini sales demo! So many are interested in them but have heard all the usual nonsense about hybrids also. They're are mostly always impressed and like the ride, the rear leg room and the boot size.

I always seem to be at the dealers getting either a service done or some consumable replaced and when talking to the sales guy there he has mentioned that quite a few customers who bought a Prius mentioned having been driven by me and liked the car so much they bought one! Perhaps I should hassle for some commission? :rolleyes:

I also do the same mini sales demo to interested taxi drivers whenever I drop off or pickup at airports or railway stations. It's fun to watch the surprise on their faces when you should them the trip consumption reading! :toast:

It's not just me then. I end up showing quite a number of my customers round the car - almost a mini sales demo! So many are interested in them but have heard all the usual nonsense about hybrids also. They're are mostly always impressed and like the ride, the rear leg room and the boot size.

I always seem to be at the dealers getting either a service done or some consumable replaced and when talking to the sales guy there he has mentioned that quite a few customers who bought a Prius mentioned having been driven by me and liked the car so much they bought one! Perhaps I should hassle for some commission? :rolleyes:

I also do the same mini sales demo to interested taxi drivers whenever I drop off or pickup at airports or railway stations. It's fun to watch the surprise on their faces when you should them the trip consumption reading! :toast:

Hi GC. Did you have a Gen 2 Prius before the Gen 3 ?

If so is your fuel consumption for the Gen 2 on Fuelly?

I was wondering how it compared with the Gen 3.

Cheers

No I didn't

Oh well - thanks for getting back to me :thumbsup:

In fact it's one of the few cars I've actually never driven! and I've driven a LOT of cars.

Hi dwilson

I had a gen2 t-spirit before my gen3 t-spirit, consumption averaged 55-60 on the gen2, so far I've done about 900 miles on the gen3 and consumption around 60-63 so there is an improvement which I guess will grow with age :yahoo:

Fuel miser said :---

"(for example, we're perfectly happy to share our forum with Auris owners, but do we complain?). As for the mirrors, well at least on a gen 3 they'd be heated, so they would keep her tootsies warm".

OK Auris Owners - Will I tell him about our mirrors or shall I let another enlightend Auris compatriot do it? :closedeyes:

"(for example, we're perfectly happy to share our forum with Auris owners, but do we complain?). As for the mirrors, well at least on a gen 3 they'd be heated, so they would keep her tootsies warm".

OK Auris Owners - Will I tell him about our mirrors or shall I let another enlightend Auris compatriot do it? :closedeyes:

Nah! We don't want to upset anybody, do we??? :lol:

I assume you are referring to the fact the mirrors on the Auris are heated, which I'm already well aware of. My comment with regard to gen 3 Prius mirrors being heated was actually in comparison with the gen 2 Prius (which I own) mirrors which are not heated. It seemed a reasonable comment to make since this is, after all, the PRIUS FORUM!! (blimey, to think in another few months we'll also have to tolerate Yaris HSD owners who'll just muscle in on our forum and think they can enlighten us about anything!)

Perhaps we Prius owners should insist the Hybrid/Prius section is amended to just Prius - to allow flexibility when the new Prius variants are released and nothing to do with banishing the clever clog Auris HSD and prospective Yaris HSD owners back to their respective forums! :thumbsup:

ps I'm joking, so please no rude emails or calls to my work place this time! :help:

...quite by chance, walking home from the gym.

A gleaming black 2010 Prius caught my eye, parked up on a side street. I couldn't resist the temptation to have a nose around it. It was a T Spirit model on an 09 registration.

While I was checking it out, the owner suddenly appeared, to my embarrassment, and I hastily explained that I wasn't casing it, but that I was a prospective Prius purchaser.

The owner - a charming lady - then insisted that I sit in it, and she spent at least twenty minutes cheerfully answering my questions about it. Her only complaints were the boot space (too shallow), the rear visibility, and that she felt it to be too big after her previous car (a Honda Civic). She also said the car had recently developed an annoying dash rattle that the dealer has been unable to fix and which was driving her to distraction. But she countered this by saying that three colleagues had identical Priuses that had been faultless ("I think I got a Friday afternoon car", she sighed. "I didn't think the Japanese had Friday afternoons", I replied.) I found the sitting position comfortable, with plenty of headroom, but noted the knee-room is definitely tighter than on my baby Benz. However I didn't really want to do a full adjustment of the seat, given that it wasn't my car! I also noted that the dark grey interior was less gloomy than it seems in the brochure, and the quality of the materials, while not quite up to MB standards, was pretty high. Black really suits the car. I came away impressed.

You should be ok with the knee room when adjusting the seat properly, 6'3 here and no probems. Wives dad is 6'7 and no issues. In fact you have to go to an E-Class to get more interior space. Boot is shallow but there is a whole bit of storage underneath. They've done that to make it flat ;-)

I agree materials in most benz is better, although the rental c200k I had two weeks ago was very plasticy. But the prius gives me a certain smugness, the interior plastics are all recycled :-) Isn't that great.

this is, after all, the PRIUS FORUM!!

Technically it is the Hybrid forum... :yes:

"Forum for Hybrid vehicles such as the Toyota Prius"

The title of this thread reminds me of "Driving over Miss Daisy". Is it only me that read it literally?

The title of this thread reminds me of "Driving over Miss Daisy". Is it only me that read it literally?

No.

I did have a chuckle too. :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links