Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4.2 D4D Maintenance Schedule

Sensei

I've got a 2003 RAV4 2.0 Diesel, but it's missing that little folder with service/maintenance schedule/history. I went to a local dealer and they sold me a new one, but it only has a general schedule (for all toyota cars).

Anyone care to scan, photograph or write up the original RAV4 maintenance schedule? I'm sure this will come in handy for others as well.

And yes, I have found the 32 page schedule on the Toyota site.

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php?v=15&y=2003&int_id=41

And the 2009 Toyota recommended maintenance schedule.

http://www.mayfieldtoyota.com/downloads/pdf/service/2009%20Schedule%20E.pdf

And I have the Haynes manual which has it's own schedule

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/1098/maintenanceschedule.jpg

And none of them are the same... :?

With all the how-tos on here I'd like to do as much of the servicing as I can. It's nice to get to know how things work, and I dont mind saving some dough. :thumbsup:

I got the generic Mr T service booklet with my car, doesn't mention the cambelt change and has the services due every 10 000 miles. And as this contradicts the information in your first link ......

*Bump*

Anyone? Please! :unsure:

Hi Sensei

The Haynes Manual is very accurate. You can see that the Toyota schedule in it is saying 10k for an oil change but they advise 5k for short journeys and that is good advice. All the others intervals are spot on - you just need to correct it to km's

The other 2 documents are from the US and aren't really relevant.

:thumbsup:

Thanks anchorman. :) I've decided to put together my own custom maintenance schedule, hopefully with a little help. *cough-cough*, anchorman. I drive enough to say that I will always hit the km-mark before the time-mark (e.g. reaching 100 000 km before 5 years etc) and instead of knowing what I have to every this and that km, I'd like to know what I should do at say 105 000 km, 110 000km, 115 000km etc. But first I need to figure out the intervals. First draft is based on the schedule in the Haynes manual. I've numbered and highlighted comments/changes I'd like feedback on.

Every week 1. (Every 1 or 2 months should be sufficient?)

- Check engine oil level

- Check coolant level

- Check windscreen washer fluid

- Check Battery electrolyte level

- Check brake and clutch fluid level

- Check power steering fluid level

- Check automatic transmission fluid level

- Check tyre threads and air pressure

Every 5000 miles (8 046 km) or 6 months

- Renew engine oil and oil filter 2. (Should the drain plug gasket be replaced regularly?)

- 3. Lubricate hinges and locks

Every 10 000 miles (16 093 km) or 12 months

- Inspect (and renew if necessary) the windscreen Wiper Blades 4. (Moving this to weekly/1-2 months as I do this 2-3 times a year when I notice wear)

- Check the clutch pedal for proper freeplay

- Check and service the Battery

- Check (and adjust if necessary) the engine auxilary drivebelts

- Inspect (and renew if necessary) all underbonnet hoses

- Check the cooling system

- Check the seat belts

- Inspect the brake system

- Check (and renew if necessary) the air filter

- Inspect the fuel system

- Check the manual transmission lubricant level

- Check the transfer case lubricant level (4wd models)

- Inspect the suspension and steering components

- Check the driveshaft boots

- Check the rear differential lubricant level (4wd models)

- Renew the pollen filter

- Check and adjust the valve clearances

Every 20 000 miles (32 186 km) or 2 years

- Renew the brake fluid 5. (Schedule in generic Toyota manual recommends renewal every 20 000 km, also for clutch fluid. These are in the same reservoir, right?)

- Service the cooling system (drain, flush and refill) 6. (Schedule in generic Toyota manual recommends first time renewal at 60 000 km, then at every 40 000 km. Also see comment #12)

- Inspect the exhaust system

- Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter 7. (Schedule in generic Toyota manual recommends renewal every 60 000 km. It doesn't matter for me though, as I have manual transfer)

- Change the manual transmission lubricant 8. (Schedule in generic Toyota manual recommends renewal every 60 000 km)

- Change the transfer case lubricant (4wd models)

- Change the rear differential lubricant (4wd models) 9. (Schedule in generic Toyota manual recommends renewal every 60 000 km)

- Check (and renew if necessary) the PCV hoses

Every 40 000 miles (64 373 km) or 4 years

- Renew the fuel filter

- Renew the air filter element 10. (Schedule in generic Toyota manual recommends renewal every 20 000 km)

Every 50 000 miles (80 467 km) or 5 years

- Renew the in-tank fuel filter

Every 60 00 miles (96 560 km)

- Renew the timing belt 11. (What about water pump while you're at it?)

- Renew the long life coolant 12. (How do I know which coolant type I have? Do I drain and judge by the color? Which type should I use?)

Every 90 000 miles (144 840 km)

- Renew the high-pressure fuel injector pipes and fuel inlet pipe

Every 180 000 miles (289 681 km)

- Renew the high-pressure fuel pump

13. Schedule in generic Toyota manual mentions a "wedge belt-vacuum pump" which should be changed every every 40 000 km. Is this the same as the auxilary drive belts? Should the vacuum pump be replaced? They are totally separate, arent they? Am I lost in translation? :D

1. You have to learn about your vehicle. You should keep the inspections frequent at first - especially as you drive high mileages. When you have checked it enough times you can reduce the frequency of these inspections.

2. The gasket should last 2-3 oil changes. Just inspect it carefully and change it if in doubt.

3. I think that can be moved out to 12 months if you keep the door shuts clean. Use only a tiny drop of oil on the hinges and WD40 in the locks. The check straps should be clean and dry.

4. I change my wipers frequently. The genuine Toyota ones are best with at least 2 changes of the rubber insert as the frames are very high quality. At your mileage I would change at least once a year or more frequently if they streak.

5. Yes they are in the same reservoir. Use DOT 3 if you can get it or 5.1 if not.

6. Refer to section 12.

7. N/A

8. I change the transmission oils at 20k miles. See the SDS sheets pinned for the correct grade.

9. As above.

10. I think you should ignore the generic manual! I would check it at the 2nd year then every year up to the 4th. Change it when it looks discoloured. Toyota filters are snow white when new.

11. I would only change the water pump if it was leaking or the bearing feels rough. You could change it at the second timing belt change.

12. I think the original "Forlife" coolant is good for 100k miles. I would buy the genuine coolant which is pink. You cannot judge it by the colour.

13. Just let me check and come back on this tomorrow.

I think this is not only going to help diesel RAV4 drivers, but also the petrol driven RAV4's.

Nice to have this clearly written down.

Greetz

Pim

13. Just let me check and come back on this tomorrow.

I thought as much but you had me doubting myself. The vac pump is cam driven;

vac pump.pdf

However, you can find the info on the serpentine and alternator belts in the pinned instructions for the timing belt. These are very long life belts but I would not leave them more than the second timing belt change.

New draft. Anchorman, could you take a look at it when you have time? Basically I need a second pair of eyes to look it through, but suggestions from all members are welcome! :thumbsup:

RAV4.2 (2001-2005) D4D Maintenance Schedule

Every 1-3 months

- Check engine oil level

- Check coolant level

- Check windscreen washer fluid

- Check Battery electrolyte level

- Check brake and clutch fluid level

- Check power steering fluid level

- Check automatic transmission fluid level

- Check tyre threads and air pressure

- Inspect (and renew if necessary) the windscreen Wiper Blades

Every 5000 miles (8 046 km) or 6 months

- Renew engine oil, oil filter and drain plug gasket.

Every 10 000 miles (16 093 km) or 12 months

- Check the clutch pedal for proper freeplay

- Check and service the Battery

- Check (and adjust if necessary) the engine auxilary drivebelts

- Inspect (and renew if necessary) all underbonnet hoses

- Check the cooling system

- Check the seat belts

- Inspect the brake system

- Check (and renew if necessary) the air filter

- Inspect the fuel system

- Check the manual transmission lubricant level

- Check the transfer case lubricant level (4wd models)

- Inspect the suspension and steering components

- Check the driveshaft boots

- Check the rear differential lubricant level (4wd models)

- Renew the pollen filter

- Check and adjust the valve clearances

- Lubricate hinges and locks

- Renew the air filter element

Every 12 427 miles (20 000 km) or 1,5 years

- Renew the brake/clutch fluid

Every 20 000 miles (32 186 km) or 2 years

- Inspect the exhaust system

- Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter

- Change the manual transmission lubricant

- Change the transfer case lubricant (4wd models)

- Change the rear differential lubricant (4wd models)

- Check (and renew if necessary) the PCV hoses

- Renew the coolant (this interval only applies to standard coolant, not Long Life)

Every 40 000 miles (64 373 km) or 4 years

- Renew the fuel filter

Every 50 000 miles (80 467 km) or 5 years

- Renew the in-tank fuel filter

Every 60 00 miles (96 560 km) or 5 years

- Renew the timing belt (preferably with pulleys/tensioner)

- Renew the coolant (this interval only applies to Long Life coolant)

Every 90 000 miles (144 840 km)

- Renew the high-pressure fuel injector pipes and fuel inlet pipe

Every 180 000 miles (289 681 km)

- Renew the high-pressure fuel pump

Note: These are the minimum maintenance intervals recommended. If the vehicle is operated under severe conditions you may wish to perform the maintenance more often. Such conditions include driving in dusty areas, extreme temperatures, towing a trailer/caravan, idling for extended periods etc.

• 1 month later...

Attached is the result of my little project. All the intervals with checklists are listed on the first two pages. The rest of the document is a log where every 5 000 km is then listed with it's own date/km/signature-field and the checklist(s) pertaining to that interval. (E.g. on the 40 000 mark, both the 5 000, 20 000 and 40 000 intervals will be printed.)

I realise many of the users here are using miles instead of km, so I might make a version with miles-version also if anyone wants it.

Now, some of you might be thinking "Yikes! 20 pages?" Yes, but you dont have to print them all. Print the first two and skip the pages from 5 000km to wherever you want to start logging from. The log goes to 300 000km. There's a little space between each interval where you can include comments about extra repairs if needed (Replaced windscreen, DMF, SCV-valves... :ffs:).

Comments and suggestions are (still) welcome. :thumbsup:

RAV 4.2 D4D Maintenance Schedule.pdf

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links