Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2020 Excel hybrid - 18 inch tyre size opinions

chilaspt

Hi everyone,

I need to replace my 4 tyres, and can see that there are two different recommended sizes for the 18 inch wheel, 

225 60 18 and 

235 55 18 

Which ones do you prefer and why? 

Also would have been the size supplied by the manufacturer 4 years ago? We purchased it second hand, so not sure what it came with.

There aren't two sizes on a 4.5 - only one - 225/60 R18, sitting on an 18 x 7J rim. That's the OEM fitment and the one to go for.

(The 4.3 and 4.4 came with a 235/55 R18 on an 18 x 7.5J rim)

• Thanks 1

Thank you! Now the hardest part- choosing a set of 4 🙂

Would you happen to have any suggestions? 

Im thinking of just going by the wet performance and economy ratings, A or B I guess...

I've never purchased tyres for a SUV, and on my Auris I went for pilot 4 sport if I recall correctly 

46 minutes ago, chilaspt said:

Im thinking of just going by the wet performance and economy ratings, A or B I guess...

According to Goodyear the difference in fuel economy between each class in the European tyre labelling (e.g. class A to class B) is approx 0.1 litre per 100km. So at current prices around £14-15 over 10,000km (around 6,200 miles).

https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/learn/eu-tire-label-explained.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Michelin CrossClimate 2, brilliant tyre.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Michelin CrossClimate 2, brilliant tyre.

I have these in my shopping cart on the Halfords website - how do they perform on hot days? Say a hot Spanish motorway? Any major problems of running these all year?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chilaspt said:

Would you happen to have any suggestions?

I run on Michelin Cross Climates. All season tyres are good for "all seasons" and the car rides and handles well on them so I am happy.

I've no particular reason to believe other tyres that I haven't tried are necessarily better or worse but the CCs are noticeable better than the stock tyres supplied from new.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chilaspt said:

I have these in my shopping cart on the Halfords website - how do they perform on hot days? Say a hot Spanish motorway? Any major problems of running these all year?

No, no problems at all ...

They are fine on a hot day - the CC is basically summer rubber adapted for year round use (as opposed to the 'original' all season tyres that were cold weather rubber adapted for summer use).

As @philip42h says ‘rubber adapted for all year performance. The CC tyre is a combination of natural and synthetic rubber, the balance of these is designed to allow the tyre to remain ‘soft’ as the weather gets colder or cools in wet conditions.

With pure summer tyres you notice that is cool/cold conditions the pot holes become more significant as the tyre ‘hardens’. With the CC design the tyre remains softer and the tread design ‘sticks’ more to the road.

There are some good alternatives, Goodyear etc., and there are plenty of comparison tests on YouTube if you want to take a look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

According to Goodyear the difference in fuel economy between each class in the European tyre labelling (e.g. class A to class B) is approx 0.1 litre per 100km. So at current prices around £14-15 over 10,000km (around 6,200 miles).

https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/learn/eu-tire-label-explained.html

Am I right in thinking the rating is also manufacturer specific like the treadwear rating? i.e. an A rating efficiency with one might not be the same as an A-rating with another?

I only ask as the tyres I've had the best mpg out of of all my cars were a set of Continental Premiums Contact 2E's, and they had an efficiency rating of E :laugh: 

• Like 1

First job when I swap R4Ps in September will be replacing the tyres with CC2s and selling the almost new Goodyears or whatever is on the R4P GR Sport. Just need much better wet, snow and ice performance which the CCs seem to privide. And ideally lower road noise but I'm not so hard over about that. I don't care less about tyre wear. I'll only have the car 3 years and do about 24k miles. So a set should last for that.

I did think that on my current R4P 2021 the Yokohamas were 235s on a 19 inch rim? I better check!

Tempted also to get a spare wheel, space saver as the gunk approach doesn't inspire me with confidence. But I did also buy a picture repair kit where you push in an insert. Watched a few videos on how to use it but think I need to watch more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

I did think that on my current R4P 2021 the Yokohamas were 235s on a 19 inch rim? I better check!

The OP was asking specifically about a "2020 Excel hybrid - 18 inch tyre size opinions" as per the thread title ... 😉

Yes, a PHEV / Prime is different.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I went for the Bridgestone TuranzaAllSeason6, so far so good, a little noisier than my previous ones but nothing to write home about.

• Like 1

Keep us posted on how you feel they are working out?

5 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Keep us posted on how you feel they are working out?

I will do so! Taking the rav4 on a road trip to Germany during half-term, not winter weather but should be good to see how noisy they are. So far they feel more comfortable than the previous mismatched tyres the car had... 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, we've driven a little over 1000 miles with the new tyres, and we're very happy with them, very quiet, as most of the noise in the cabin comes from wind.

Driving at an average speed of 120kph we averaged 6.02l/100km - calculated by the petrol used and distance travelled. Family of four with the boot full of luggage, 

It's the AWD version if it makes any difference 🙂

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links