Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Approved Used

ajayre

The Approved Used programme is described on the Toyota site at Toyota Approved Cars.

It says: "All Toyota Approved vehicles are given a thorough inspection by an approved technician before being sold. If the vehicle is not up to our rigorous standards, your Official Toyota Centre will rectify all faults free of charge."

Where can I find out more information about what the rigorous standards actually are?

Thanks, Andy

The Approved Used programme is described on the Toyota site at Toyota Approved Cars.

It says: "All Toyota Approved vehicles are given a thorough inspection by an approved technician before being sold. If the vehicle is not up to our rigorous standards, your Official Toyota Centre will rectify all faults free of charge."

Where can I find out more information about what the rigorous standards actually are?

Thanks, Andy

Why not start by asking at your Official Toyota Centre!

Andy mate, we all have to trust someone sometimes. Have you had a bad experience? Some on here feel they have, but for each one that has had a bad experience, there are dozens that haven't.

As Red Yaris says, first ask at your local Toyota dealers then go a little further afield... :thumbsup:

They will have a check sheet to work through and have box's to tick off as the jobs are done, then the technician will have to sign the sheet to prove it has been done.

Ask to see the check sheet relating to your car, and if they can't provide one ask them to do the checks again and provide a new check sheet. If they refuse, then mention trading standards and see how fast they change their mind.

If they are going to do these checks, they have to be in a position to prove its been done, otherwise they count for nothing.

Edit..

Just found this after a quick google:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56223&view=findpost&p=556405

The problem with buying second hand is you really need to know what you're looking at (Or have a mate who does who can be bribed with beer and pies :spiteful:), because, as you say, even from a dealer you can't blindly trust them.

I got my D4D approved used; Was in very good nick mechanically and has been bullet proof so far, but there were some annoying things; underside corrosion, alloys badly corroded, the cabin air filter and engine cover were a solid block of dead wasps and the boot recess where the spare wheel and tools go was full of sand and there was half a small tree wedged in the spare wheel! :lol:

I have my doubts as to whether anyone even looked under the bonnet!

Partly my fault because I'd bought the car blind (For some reason, finding a diesel Yaris at the time was nigh impossible!) on the hope that, because it *was* a Toyota approved used, it wouldn't be a total lemon.

Anywy, I mentioned this to the dealer and they apologised but because I'd already taken the car home, basically I'd have to take it back pay them for an alloy refurb and to have the air filter changed etc.

Seemed a pointless waste really so I changed the filter myself, bought PaulT's alloys off him (Still lovely! :thumbsup:) and used my brother's pillar drill dust extractor (The vacuum cleaner failed miserably) to get all the sand and bits of tree out of the under-boot :lol:

I wasn't too bothered since I was glad just to get rid of my old piece of **** Fiesta and these are really quite minor things overall.

That sums up the Yaris really; The unimportant bits are a bit flakey, but the important bits are rock solid :thumbsup :D

I'm inclined to agree. You can't trust dealers 100% and its always best to take someone along with you who knows what they're talking about and what to look for.

My girlfriend bought a CRV a couple of years from cargiant I think they were called. Supposedly RAC inspected. As it turns out it wasn't because there were all sorts wrong with the !Removed! thing! The wheels were too big for the car, the drivers window stopped working the day after she bought it, some part of the breaking system was missing and a sealed part of the coolant unit was opened, tampered with, shoddily put back together and as a result the engine had no coolant in it!

When I have my car serviced, I take it to a reputable garage or a mechanic I can trust and I like to see the work being done. That way I know what has been done and that its safe and everything is in good working order. I tend to buy my cars privately and used so they're quite cheap and I'm careful who I buy from. I always take someone who knows about cars too!

When you do buy a used car from a dealer, ask questions like how many owners it has had, look at the service history, MOT advisories (if there are any), look over the car thoroughly and if you spot anything wrong or you don't like about it, have a word with the dealer there and then! They should offer you some form of guarantee as well like a year on the parts and labour perhaps?

Andy mate, we all have to trust someone sometimes. Have you had a bad experience? Some on here feel they have, but for each one that has had a bad experience, there are dozens that haven't.

As Red Yaris says, first ask at your local Toyota dealers then go a little further afield... :thumbsup:

I tried. After a week and multiple calls I have achieved nothing. The sales manager is strangely never available to talk either. They keep promising they will take care of it, but then they forget. I'm not really surprised...

Andy

I tried. After a week and multiple calls I have achieved nothing. The sales manager is strangely never available to talk either. They keep promising they will take care of it, but then they forget. I'm not really surprised...

Andy

Maybe it is time for a personal visit..........Face to Face!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links