Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Wheel Cylinder?

Rafal

Hi guys

I am looking for a wheel cylinder for my car 1997 Toyota Carina E hatchnack, 1.8 petrol, manual.

The problem which I got is that there are two different wheel cylinders on the market which are described as correct match for my car.

There is one which is called Aisin/Hosei System and the other one called Lucas System. I am not a mechanic and can not look under my car to see which one I have got. I need to buy one buut how to determin which one is the correct one? What is the difference between them?

I have attached pictures.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Rafal

post-60178-016557100 1290255013_thumb.jp

post-60178-041347900 1290255027_thumb.jp

Simple!! all you have to do is get your overalls on jack the car up and look at the back plate of the brake system and weigh up which way the bolts fix to your cyl and then chose the appropriate cly that you have shown us!

I have made a note in my Haynes book that the later models have Lucas/Girling brakes rear. That would be the thing you have too as you stated that your car was from 97.

To be very sure you should take off a wheel and take of a drum and have a look to be sure if you have the trangle shaped or the circular shaped cylinder.

Thank you

The Lucas one is more expensive :) This one is very confusing as two different parts supplier list the Lucas System as suitable for cars manufactured between '95 and '96 and while my car was manufactured in 1997 you can see where the confusion is coming from. On the other hand when I email JapParts they emailed me back saying that the Lucas System's part is correct for my car, same as your advise Balikbayan.

My Toyota failed MOT and as my friend is a mechanic I try to buy all the parts myself for him to fit.

Before you buy wheel cylinder, do have a look wich model you actually have as I wrote before and also Petroleum did. It is not always the right stuff on an old car. That is why it is always good to have a look at the car and then buy the same part, but new or newer. Parts are expensive and sometimes people buy secondhand parts and then the part dealers computers say that one part is correct, but it is not.

I am thinking now. I understand that if I have to choose correct part otherwise the other one won't fit into my car. If that is a case then I begin thinking that other parts which rely on this part, I would not know which ones, will also be different? Can you think of any?

Or can you actually buy both types and both of them will fit ok in any Carina from 1997? Because for me it does not matter if it is triangle and better then square type or whatever. As long as it is going to work. And both parts are listed as good match for Carinas between 1996 - 1997.

They have different hole pattern. That is why it is important wich you have.

They have different hole pattern. That is why it is important wich you have.

Thank you

The reason why I started another topic 'Where to find VIN' is because I have spoken to rep of Mike's Garage online shop and he told me that Lucas System wheel cylinders were installed only in Carinas built in UK and the other ones were installed in Carinas built in Japan. But to make things more complicated they have two different versions of the Lucas system, one described as 19 mm diameter (the same as triangle wheel cylinder installed in Carinas built in Japan) and one described as 20.6 mm diameter. Just for a wee reminder, the Lucas system is the wheel cylinder which is of square/rectangular shape.

But only the one with 20.6 diameter was listed as correct fit for Carinas built in UK and that is why I needed to find my VIN. I found it (front plate of the engine compartment) and it begins with SB which means produced in the UK.

Therefore I placed an order for those wheel cylinders. I do not have tools to check it myself plus if you add that it is raining here everyday I gave it a shot. A bit risky but I hope that I made right choice.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links