Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Range Inaccuracy

monya

For the first time the fuel gauge dropped to 1 bar and started flashing. Looked at the range reading which read 16 miles!! Filled up 5 miles later. Squeezed in 38 litres. Tank holds 45 litres. Hmm. So must have had 1.5+ gallons still in the tank - don't think I'll use that much in 11 miles with the average consumption at 51 mpg.

OK I'll accept Toyota configure a safety margin into the readings but this takes the **** :angry:

I've never driven a car yet where the range display was accurate. In my Merc it goes from 50 miles to zero with nothing in between.

Still, better that they err on the side of caution.

I've never driven a car yet where the range display was accurate. In my Merc it goes from 50 miles to zero with nothing in between.

Still, better that they err on the side of caution.

Agreed. I still recall the fuel pickets and that fuel depot near the M1 going bang, running around on vapours just so you fill up less often is a fools game IMHO.

I have a 50+ mile journey to work each day (100+ mile round trip).... the petrol in Telford (work) is significantly cheaper than elsewhere, so I can often run the tank down to 0 miles range... otherwise I'd be filling up every second day! It does appear that, when the computer says zero, there is still 50 miles or so left in the tank. (but no, I don't take the risk that if the computer shows zero as I leave home there'll be enough to get me to work)

I never go below 3 bars! Frankly it's not worth the risk of getting stuck anywhere, especially on a motorway.

For example, you have one flashing bar left, your child is at uni 100 miles away and you get a call at 2am to say they've been in an accident. You have neither the petrol to get there, nor an open garage to fill up!

However, with 3 bars, you have enough to get there and plenty of time to top off if necessary....

No brainer really :thumbsup:

I have a 50+ mile journey to work each day (100+ mile round trip).... the petrol in Telford (work) is significantly cheaper than elsewhere, so I can often run the tank down to 0 miles range... otherwise I'd be filling up every second day! It does appear that, when the computer says zero, there is still 50 miles or so left in the tank. (but no, I don't take the risk that if the computer shows zero as I leave home there'll be enough to get me to work)

Your fuelly stats shows you filling up every 5 or 6 days at the moment, so if you filled up every two days (or on the third day) you still have half tank? I would guess more likely that filling up somewhere around the quarter full tank mark would require filling a day earlier??

When I filled up I looked at the range which was estimating about 450 miles. Hope it's inaccurate :crybaby:

When I filled up I looked at the range which was estimating about 450 miles. Hope it's inaccurate :crybaby:

I think you will find that the range is calculated dependant on how much you have put in and the latest consumption figures... ie if you put only 5 gallons in and your last consumption figures were only 45 mpg, then you will get a false reading....

IMO don't take any notice of the range figure, just go on the fact that if you are averaging 58/65 mpg then you will get between 580/650 per tankful if you run it dry from brimming it....

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links