Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis - Starting Car With Valet Key

HKS_TC_Corolla_GTi

Hi All

Does anyone have a 2001 onwards VVTi Avensis? Could you please please tell me, if you try to start the car with the Valet Key (Grey one with no Transponder chip inside) - does the car just crank on the starter or does it actually fire up for a second or two then just die?

Many Thanks

Nad

Valet key will not unlock the glove box or the trunk. That way you can keep them out of thoses two areas. But it should start and run the car the same as the normal key.

Yep, the "grey" key has everything it needs to open the car's door, start the engine and keep it running properly. The key does not open the glove box nor the trunk (if they were locked using the normal key of course). AFAIK making a functional (car-starting) duplicate key having only the valet key should also be impossible.

Thanks for the replies guys, could you just tell me if ANY of the keys supplied by Toyota DO NOT have a transponder chip inside or do they all have chips?

THanks

Thanks for the replies guys, could you just tell me if ANY of the keys supplied by Toyota DO NOT have a transponder chip inside or do they all have chips?

THanks

They should all come with transponder chips inside that should all start the car.

• 9 years later...

been looking at blogs re third (grey) key for 58 plate avensis.

everyone seems to say one can use this key as the others, ie valet key, keeping glove & boot locked.

I've just tried to unlock the car, ....... that alarm is LOUD, for a Sunday morning!!!.

I have two black keys but they are elsewhere, so based on info here I believed I could at least open the car , ..... if not only that but drive as well!!!

Could I please get ACCURATE INFO here, If the alarm goes off, what the xxxxx is the key for??

jaybeebaby.

right, after suffering the alarm I think I can start the car and use it on the grey key, but then after locking (manually) the grey key can only be used again if car is opened with the black key first ???

just say yes ,,, somebody??

and thx.

Try locking the car using a key (not the transponder, which I assume sets the alarm) and see what happens when you unlock with the valet key. If I'm correct then the alarm won't be set and you'll be able to open it quietly. Also, on a Focus C-Max I once owned, if I unlocked using the key the alarm sounded until I turned the key in the ignition. Maybe also try this?

Have never heard of a

'valet' key though I did get two keys with my '52 plate 1.8 vvti,I just assumed it was a spare.

Is a valet key actually 'grey' ??

My two keys look exactly the same,both black,both have transponders and I figured they both worked the same although I haven't tried my 'spare'.

Have to try it out !!!

Right, here it is, DEFINITIVE.

grey key, ( yep its grey) works as the two black, EXCEPT, you need to have doors de-alarmed first. If you're leaving

car for "valet" or service, you may not want to risk leaving a black key, So you hand over the grey,leaving car unlocked.

Valeter can use this to drive, and lock BUT if you have locked boot and glove box, grey key will not give access.

The black key (one short press) will de- activate the alarm from locked. Second short press will unlock. Should get TWO lock sounds. This is reversed for locking (and alarming).

ONE uncertainty....... When valeter locks car is this just LOCK or will alarm re-set? (grey key only)

Right, here it is, DEFINITIVE.

grey key, ( yep its grey) works as the two black, EXCEPT, you need to have doors de-alarmed first. If you're leaving

car for "valet" or service, you may not want to risk leaving a black key, So you hand over the grey,leaving car unlocked.

Valeter can use this to drive, and lock BUT if you have locked boot and glove box, grey key will not give access.

The black key (one short press) will de- activate the alarm from locked. Second short press will unlock. Should get TWO lock sounds. This is reversed for locking (and alarming).

ONE uncertainty....... When valeter locks car is this just LOCK or will alarm re-set? (grey key only)

Yours sounds different to my two T25’s were (now got a T27 so can't check tho).

The black keys (which both had transponders)... One press locked the car and alarmed it (I know this cos I rarely used the deadlocks but one two occasions the alarm went off while washing it). A second press activated the deadlocks. You could hear a clunk on both presses. Then a single press unlocked it and deactivated the alarm and deadlocks (if they were on). You heard a clunk. There might have been a setting for only unlocking the drivers door on the first press, and the rest of the car on the second press, but I'm not certain of this (I had a Laguna which definately had this). This could maybe explain the extra unlock sounds which mine didn't do. Then again I'm sure you'd know whether it opened your whole car or not lol.

I don't think I ever used the grey key (the grey capped, non transponder one) but I reckon it'll lock, unlock and start the car as long as the alarm hasn't been armed by the transponder. If it's the same as my old C-Max then turning the valet key in the ignition deactivated the alarm too. I also see no reason why the black keys couldn't be used in the door locks in the same manner as the grey one, ie without arming the alarm.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links