Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

In Need Of New Front And Rear Discs & Pads

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

HI

I'll be needing some new front and rear brake disks and pads soon and so i thought i'd ask the question to the mass on this forum site as i am having terrible difficulty in trying to distinguish which ones i need.

I have a 2006 1.6 SR hatch...i've asked my toyota dealers & many other local spares outlets e.g Euro carparts and all of them ask me the same question (even the Toyota dealers!)...as to what OE SYSTEM i have? Apparently you get "Lucas" And you get "Aisin"...and they all state that they cannot quote me a price without me showing them a front disc, a rear disc, and a pad each! Now to me thats crazy having to remove the old one's first just so that they can match them up...if it was an import i would totally understand! In this weather i'd find it hard to take my wheels off and complete a strip down...especially as my old discs+pads still have a little life left to go first! While i've got the money saved up for them and before VAT goes up i thought i'd buy them now until i need them.

I cant tell by looking through my alloy as to what type of disc+pads i have...I did however check my brake servo unit in the engine bay and all that states is TRW Toyota whatever that means!

My question is...Does anyone out there own a 1.6 SR like mine and have had their discs+pads replaced recently that can help with dimensions...part numbers...or anything? Remember i'd be buying now BUT fitting later so i need to make sure they'll be the right ones!

I would really appreciate your help & advice & or just your comments. Thank you in advance...

Sammy

That's very very strange, some of these parts desk monkeys are real fools. They should be able to tell from registration number of the car and I've never been asked that question (unless 2006 was change over year which I doubt) as far as I know your car is Lucas.

Few points

1. toyota's own discs and pads are overpriced cr*p

2. mintex are good but noisey and start squeaking easily

3. ebc discs warp too easily, greenstuff pads are ok, redstuff squeak also

4. ferodo pads with mtec discs is the best option in my opinion

further info: clicky

incidentally if you whip your wheel off and take some good photos that may help because for my year of car there are 2 patterns of brake pad however the ratio of the patterns is something like 99.99:1 in favour of the pattern my car uses. the other one looks really odd lol.

Appreciate your feedback CorollaD4D...guess Lucas it must be...but i think i'll have to whip off a wheel and take some pics and a few measurements maybe...your so right about the parts desk monkeys sometimes...maybe if i chuck em a banana (tip em a £5 note!) they'll jump around a bit more and find out properly lol!

I'll do some ringing around again and find out!

Sammy

HI

I'll be needing some new front and rear brake disks and pads soon

Sammy

Hi Sam,

Did you see my reply from yesterday about brake disc sizes , its the next to last entry on this post My link

Re Lucas" And you get "Aisin".

In fact, as you guess, your brakes are not manufactured by Lucas or Aisin but by a company called TRW (& they buy in their pads from Pagid & Ferrodo).

Info I've come across say that your front discs are 255mm dia & the rear 258mm. Your front pads are width: 131,5 mm, height: 57,3 mm & your rear pads are width: 95,7 mm, height: 37,8 mm. The way to be sure is to measure the existing ones.

Buying now to avoid VAT increase saves you 2.5% which is worth £4 if the set costs £160.

People give their personal opinion as to which brand to buy. I think that can be very subjective. I found I could buy a complete set for £100 on eBay but of unknown make. But I would argue that brakes are too important to take a risk on.

Some brands who I believe are OEM suppliers(& hence sound quality)are: Brembo, ATE, Pagid, Textar, Ferrodo & Mintex. If tempted by other brands then I suggest you 'google' them first to check their reputation. There are some disturbing stories out there.

Re Lucas" And you get "Aisin".

In fact, as you guess, your brakes are not manufactured by Lucas or Aisin but by a company called TRW (& they buy in their pads from Pagid & Ferrodo).

Info I've come across say that your front discs are 255mm dia & the rear 258mm. Your front pads are width: 131,5 mm, height: 57,3 mm & your rear pads are width: 95,7 mm, height: 37,8 mm. The way to be sure is to measure the existing ones.

Buying now to avoid VAT increase saves you 2.5% which is worth £4 if the set costs £160.

People give their personal opinion as to which brand to buy. I think that can be very subjective. I found I could buy a complete set for £100 on ebay but of unknown make. But I would argue that brakes are too important to take a risk on.

Some brands who I believe are OEM suppliers(& hence sound quality)are: Brembo, ATE, Pagid, Textar, Ferrodo & Mintex. If tempted by other brands then I suggest you 'google' them first to check their reputation. There are some disturbing stories out there.

Thanks evisonj...and Thanks all...im on a mission this weekend...weather permitting...to hunt down my parts...Just one question...if...and i mean IF i remove my front & rear alloys...too darn cold lol...Without taking the brakes apart that is...how should i measure my discs and pads and using what??? A ruler? Or using a vernier (if thats how its spelt?)i have one but never used it and its got a digital display!

Sammy

Brakes are critical, full stop. It makes me smile when I view threads about discs and pads. Some want this or that pad because it does ABC but the other manufacturer does DEF instead. For the average driver who does the average journey to work and takes the family out at the weekend, plain old genuine pads will do the job perfectly well. Mr Joe Public (or Miss and Mrs for that matter) would not have a clue about what pad ABC or DEF does, and for 95% of people, as long as they stop the car, last a good length of time and are not too pricey, they will do just fine!

Brakes make great pub talk, "Oh yes my drilled and grooved Japwhizz discs stop me 0.286 metres shorter than the Bingboost brand" bla bla bla, honestly, you could'nt write some of the BS I get to hear :lol:

Toyota genuine pads are as competitivly priced as any other main dealer/manufacturer

Give us your vehicle details and you get the right parts

You dont have to crawl under the car to measure the discs before you buy them

If you are Mr or Miss or Mrs 95% of the population, they will suit you fine

You get a TOC discount off me ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

lol @ kingo's post i guess it's true for the average person they really don't care however i must say i went to the bradford toyota dealer to get price on just rear discs and pads. the price he quoted me is more than i have subsequently paid for dimpled/grooved front discs with ferodo pads and rear discs and pads mintex all in including giving £30 to the mechanic who fitted it all lol! seriously i nearly had a heart attack in the dealership!

simply due to price i would go mintex or adl blueprint all round rather than mr t's own but saying that kingo's toc discount does amount to a lot! :D

All I can say Sammy is that for the vast majority of people, grooved, dimpled, slotted, ceramic or whatever you buy will hardly be noticable, in fact some of the more racey brands will make your braking feel worse, especially when cold/ first time you hit the pedal. So dont waste your money on anything too boy racey, standard genuine pads, or pads from a branded supplier will be just fine!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Sammy, I thinks Parts-king is giving good advice re going for standard parts & the certainty of getting the right parts from a Toyota dealer.

The reason I didn't buy from Toyota was that I was dissapointed to find all my discs needed replacing after 65k miles while there was still a fair bit of life left in the second set of pads. Also the factory pads came from Pagid & Ferrodo. My Mintex replacements are all branded as Mintex ... but maybe I'll find that the life is no better.

What mileage has your car done?

I'm pretty sure (but obviously can't guarantee it) that you will get the right parts if go with the Lucas option (25.5cm/25.8cm for F/R disc diameter). The Mintex parts are:

Front discs & pads MDC1586 MDB2257

Rear MDC1678 MDB2596

So either buy from a outlet who will swap them if you find they are incorrect or play safe & buy from a Toyota dealer (e.g. Parts-king).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links