Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Induction kit or Replacement filter?

jerry phipps

Hi everyone ive been thinking about this for quite awhile. I have come across some performance mags and they all rave on about induction kits. I have thought of getting a replacement filter for my yaris T sport

Now are they really worth spending this kind of money to get a bit more performance. Now in some mags they say that you can get as much performance from a replacement filter as well. According

to what make you get.

The good points and the bad points.

With an induction kit you will have to take the whole air box off of your car and replace it with an induction kit. This now will properly mess up your warrenty. And at the same time they say that you will notice a induction roar. Now is that ok for most drivers on the road. EG first thing 6am in the morning.

Then theres the cold air feed pipe. This pipe is added to increase more air flow which is ment to increase more power output. You have also got to place it in a good spot to be sure to get a good air flow to induction filter. No air box means that you have got to keep the induction kit cool. Some kits come with a heat sheild.

Now with an replacement filter all you have to do is place it in the place of the old filter. This to gives more output to the car. There is a slight increase in induction roar but not as much as an induction kit. Also they say that you can get 100,000 miles out of an replacement filter. Also the replacement filter uses the air box to stop warm air entering the engine.

With and induction kit you can wash the filter and they also come with a spray which you spray over the filter which helps trap all the dust and muck.

Now question if a induction kit is better for the car than a replacement filter why does it mess with your warrenty?

Looking at some mags they say that the Viper Pipercross is one of the best induction kits on the market £199

What do you think about this? Give us a shout!!!!!!!

Here a photo of Viper Pipercross.

only get an filter/inductioon kit that can be cleaned, the K&N one is excellent value and good for 1million miles ! its easily cleaned and recharged.

The Conical shape has a slightly better (arguably) airflow pattern and youcan duct much more cold air to it, the stock box has a tiny induction pipe that will inhibit the air flow, at speed how much hot air will be trapped in the engine bay ? not a great deal and your not looking for a performance tick over ? lol....

Induction noise is mentioned but doesn't affect the toyota engines a great deal as they're noisy to start with, and when you do hear it, its a nice grumble rather than an earsplitting roar.

I fitted a K&N induction kit to my 4age and it made the car feel like it revs more freely and definately revs up quiker as for BHP gains... it doesn't ADD bhp it allows your engine to use its existing BHP that was previously stifiled by the old restrictive filter (something insurance compaines should learn :( )

If your worried about warranties then you shouldn't modify your car. (imho)

There are only two reasons to fit an induction kit.. noise and looks. Ignore claims of an extra 5 bhp.. in reality it doesnt exist and the gain will not be noticed..

cold air feeds are only really necessary for turbo'd cars to keep the intake temps down to decrease the risk of det.. on a n/a car it wont be so obvious.. unless you're running massive power gains then a cold air intake on a n/a isnt needed.

If you're running a turbo (not sure if the t-sport is a turbo or not), then again forget the induction kit. There is only one type of induction kit that is good for your engine, and thats the stock airbox and filter. If provides the best filtration, cooling, and flow match for your engine.

to recap, if you want noise, buy an induction kit, if you want good filtration and a healthy engine.. keep your stock unit.

I would definitly go for an induction kit. This is my own experience.

K&N induction kits havent exactly gone down to well with me. They stutter the engine. And on some cars they stall the car everytime the car is stopped. ITs because of the cotton filter and the design of it.

Pipercross are very good. They have a better design and use foam rather than cotton with is easier to clean and traps more dirt. The Viper induction won't give as much of a roar than the normal induction kits because its sucking air in sa the revs get higher. And so when the revs get higher you can feel more of a boost since its sucking even more air in.

Blitz i think do the best normal induction kits. Since its aluminium mesh and a nice chrome or aluminium finish and goes very nice with engines. There inductions give you the best efficiency for inductions. Since the aluminium mesh really cleans the air of dirt giving the engine more air than dirt so more power available. And the shape of the cone and the size of it makes it an all round contender.

So Blitz if your looking for a great looking and the best induction. They specifically make these for Jap cars but they could fit to english cars. They have also brought out a new induction system, cant remember what it was but here is the site

Blitz Website

Viper if your looking for the best velocity air feed. The acutual cone is on the end of the pipe so that it can sit at the front to get even more cold air and the pipe will lead to the engine.

Pipercross Website

Originally posted by Drayvn

Well, i can't really dispute the findings of the test. Oh well! i might try that Apexi kit. Cheers for the info.

Go with a TRD panel filter mate, honestly for the major price difference you aint going to notice any difference (except maybe high mid range upwards).

Thanks guys for all your replies. I will have to really sit down and think about this all. But really cheers for all the coments :P

jerry :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links