Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2001 Avensis (Not New Design) Passenger Window Bust

Leozack

2y ago someone tried bsuting into my passenger door, gave up and broke the window. The insurance used their window people to come out and replace the window same day (shame he didn't peel off my water guard but cut it open and taped it up after). Other than perhaps some glass shards still in the door somewhere and some nt pleasan noises while using the window at times - everything seemed ok. But the other day the window just dropped down into the door for no reason. Luckily I coaxed it up with th switch and told everyone to not touch it while I pondered what to do about it.

Sadly yesterday I drove someone who I hadn't told and they went and touched the switch. Instantly the window would go down but not up. 1am in the rain I had little choice but to try to dismantle the door and fix the problem else I'd be unable to shut the window in the current subzero temperatures and couldn't park it anywhere. But with our best efforts we were unable to fix it. In the end I wedged a rubber doorstop to hold the window up (highest we got it was about 1" open still) and shoved a sheet in the gap since it's raining.

I've now had a look in the light of day and it doesn't look any better. The wire system it uses must have a problem and there is slack wire looped out away from what looks like a fishing reel where it is obviously supposed to be coiled round somehow. I see no way for it to have got like that or to put it back. Nothing I can find online references how this system works, or what might be broken, or what it'd cost to fix it. I can't get an appointment at the garage until tuesday and that's a bit late since I want to work with it as usaul next week! The motor and switch still "work" but clearly not working right - maybe I just need to disassemble it and redo the cable? Maybe the window regulator has lost sync? I don't know :(

2y ago someone tried bsuting into my passenger door, gave up and broke the window. The insurance used their window people to come out and replace the window same day (shame he didn't peel off my water guard but cut it open and taped it up after). Other than perhaps some glass shards still in the door somewhere and some nt pleasan noises while using the window at times - everything seemed ok. But the other day the window just dropped down into the door for no reason. Luckily I coaxed it up with th switch and told everyone to not touch it while I pondered what to do about it.

Sadly yesterday I drove someone who I hadn't told and they went and touched the switch. Instantly the window would go down but not up. 1am in the rain I had little choice but to try to dismantle the door and fix the problem else I'd be unable to shut the window in the current subzero temperatures and couldn't park it anywhere. But with our best efforts we were unable to fix it. In the end I wedged a rubber doorstop to hold the window up (highest we got it was about 1" open still) and shoved a sheet in the gap since it's raining.

I've now had a look in the light of day and it doesn't look any better. The wire system it uses must have a problem and there is slack wire looped out away from what looks like a fishing reel where it is obviously supposed to be coiled round somehow. I see no way for it to have got like that or to put it back. Nothing I can find online references how this system works, or what might be broken, or what it'd cost to fix it. I can't get an appointment at the garage until tuesday and that's a bit late since I want to work with it as usaul next week! The motor and switch still "work" but clearly not working right - maybe I just need to disassemble it and redo the cable? Maybe the window regulator has lost sync? I don't know :(

The muppets who replaced the glass is responible, make them come back and fix it.

I'll attempt to give you some helpful advice.

The groans and grinds you heard after the glass was replaced was not a good sign and I would doubt if the company that replaced it would give any warranty especially after two years. Additionally the regulator may have been damaged when the widow was forced.

Sounds like the cables or pulleys are damaged and a replacement window regulator would probably be the best option.

In the meatime strip the door panel disconnect the regulator motor wiring and prop the window fully closed from inside the door. One or two pieces of wood will do the job. On one car I repaired recently I found the owner had propped the window up using a 2 litre of mineral water bottle he fitted in France two years ago.

I suggest you do a web search for a replacement - some cheap after-market units without motor may be available (40 to £60) but before fitting ensure the tracks and inside the door are clean and free from debris - plus give the cables, tracks and pulleys a good greasing.

It is not unusual for the interior plastic liner to tear during removal and I have successfully used a decent quality duct tape to repair.:)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links