Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gear Knobs

Bong Water

have you guys reduced the length of the gear stick or has the reduction in height come from simply changing the gear knob? imo they're way too tall

we all have short shifters, shorter is not always better dude, the height of the shifter shouldnt be to short or it becomes more difficult to shift as you have less travel so it requires more effort. Its the design of the throw and positioning that matters.

TWM make a short shifter which is TINY in height.

Just a cheap one, had to drill it to get it lower as it was way to high, feels good, better than the standard one.

13.jpg

14.jpg

thanks dude!

are they specific to an engine or car (eg 4zzfe or T-sport)?

just wondering cos I have the 1.4 2002 pre-facelift model and I'm not sure if it'll fit! :S

Bridges that looks much much better now that the gaitor meets the knob, will it be like that on a standard shifter? Have you had to mod the gaitor in anyway to get it to stand up?

Where did you get it? I know you've told me before but i've forgot

I've got a TRD one in white, no pics sorry.

Bridges that looks much much better now that the gaitor meets the knob, will it be like that on a standard shifter? Have you had to mod the gaitor in anyway to get it to stand up?

Where did you get it? I know you've told me before but i've forgot

Think your getting confused with this pic

988b873d.jpg

I put the knob on the original shifter to show you. The knob on the shorter shifter has been designed to meet the gaitor. As the trd knob is a lot shorter than the standard shifter it won't meet the gaitor.

we all have short shifters, shorter is not always better dude, the height of the shifter shouldnt be to short or it becomes more difficult to shift as you have less travel so it requires more effort. Its the design of the throw and positioning that matters.

TWM make a short shifter which is TINY in height.

hmm i was under the assumption short shifters reduce the distance from the lever being in gear 1 position to 2nd etc in order to speed up gear changes, i didn't realise they reduced the physical height of the gear lever also.

Alot of them are designed differently, The TRD Uses a goose neck style rod alot like oem but the pivot point in the cradle is different which makes for a quicker shift as the height is only lowered slightly but its the pivot point which is making the shift quicker.

Now the smaller the height the more effort is needed to push the shifter....for example when you drive tomorrow change gear by holding under the gearknob it will feel alot more difficult. The TWM Shifter does this, it reduces the height mainly to make for a short shifter feel. The TRD however works on the contact points near the cradle, you want some leverage on the shifter as it makes it alot easier....a bit like a torque bar, you try and open a rusty bolt with a little spanner and you cant get enough force onto the spanner to undo the nut....Now if you grab a breaker bar life becomes alot easier.

like wangtastic asked are they specific to an engine or car?

can you fit these shifters to any corolla such as a 1.4 vvt-i?

ahh i understand now thanks Farhan ;) i'll just leave my as it is i think alternator is broke and need to new clutch flywheel before i spend any money on other mods etc..

Ok so if you dont use a short shifter the gaitor wont meet the knob

How much am I looking at for a short shifter and gear knob package and what is involved in fitting please?

Ok so if you dont use a short shifter the gaitor wont meet the knob

How much am I looking at for a short shifter and gear knob package and what is involved in fitting please?

Check MWR both on there and you'll get both for around the £100 figure. You could stretch the gaitor up and do what Farhan did with tape around the shifter!! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links