Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.6 V-Matic Fuel Consumption

SR-Manuel

I have had my Auris 2010 1.6 V-Matic for 2 weeks now and driven it about 300 miles. However I notice I am getting no where near the 42ish fuel consumption thats stated in the book. I have done a mixed amount of driving and try to keep to the shift indicators but the AVG Mpg read out says I am only getting around 34mpg. Does this sound right?

I realise that but I didn't think it would be that low!

How many miles has the car done in total - is it just 300? If so fuel consumption should improve after it has got about 3000 miles or so under it's belt.

Manufacturers always exagerate their MPG figures

No they don't, the figures are derived from a strict set of independantly audited figures and set procedures. The problem is they don't allow for "Real life" scenarios like wind, hills, rain, cold temperatures, driving style etc etc etc

The biggest problem we have at the moment is the cold weather, it destroys good MPG, you will be nearer the quoted 42 in the summer

Kingo :thumbsup:

Manufacturers always exagerate their MPG figures

<smug mode>

Some times, but my diesel Yaris is only rated at 74mpg for motorway driving and many of us have gotten it into the 80's :D

As for the mpg gauge on the car, take it with a grain of salt.

There have been a fair few people here who have tried to measure the mpg using the Power Of Maths (i.e. Brim tank, Reset trip, drive, Brim tank again at next fuelup to get amount of fuel used, work out mpg using fuel used and trip miles!) and found the numbers they have are different from the trip.

But the cold won't help either; Petrol engines which spend a lot of time in stop-start traffic get particularly stuffed in winter.

The mpg on my old car was done using good old maths, where as I am taking the reading from the trip. I understand the range left is not accurate. Hopefully when I have done a few more miles and can brim the tank and see how it goes. Out of experience, after the fuel light comes on, what sort of distance can you get out of it?

I think I did somewhere in the region of a hundred miles on the flashing fuel light before I chickened out and refuelled! :lol:

However, the Yaris has a digital readout of 8-blocks for the fuel gauge rather than an analogue needle and is notoriously inaccurate once the tank is less than half full so this might not count... (For instance, I once refuelled as soon as the blob started flashing and could only get 32L of diesel in the car which means there was around 13L fuel left in the tank?!)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links