Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Newbie, First Auris - A Few Questions?

imanewbie

Hi All. I have just bought my first toyota. Love Jap Cars and have a lexus RX350 for a while now.

I have just moved away from a maxda RX8 to save on fuel! (more miles these days) and went for a 07 Auris 2.0 4D4 TR. (to save some fuel money!)

A few questions:

1: The engine seems to tick on a fraction of a second after turning the ignition off, is this normal?

2: Do these Diesel power chips work and will it invalidate my warranty? The power drop from my Rex is a killer! (but I am thinking money savings - keep thinking... ;o)

3) hen I push the car, especially in 2 and 3, the power seems to fall off at about 3.5-4k revs. I dont think the car will make redline!? is this normal for these engines? (I am used to a rotary than spins upto 9k and has a smooth power delivery ..)I am actually scared to push past 4k as it sounds like the engine is under a lot of stress!

4) Any recommendations on a good bluetooth system that's easy to install?

I am actually really enjoying it, especially the 48MPG! its also effortless and pretty nimble. It would be nice for Toyota to produce a compressor version ;o)

5) is there anything i should be checking for, standard problems with these cars?

Diesels are not really made to be pushed to the red line as the power is delivered low down the rev range.

To get maximum speed from these engines you need to be changing up a gear at aprox 3000rpm in order for the next gear up to be in the torque curve. If you exceed this then you will find the power will drop off and you will hit the next gear outside of the torque curve and miss out on the power it has.

Petrol engines and diesel engines are completely different animals and take a while to adjust to, but once you get used to overtaking in 5th gear from low down instead of 3rd gear at high revs, you realise where the power lies and understand that they are quick while on the move.

If you want more power then you could get a tuning box from Kingo (parts king). Very good results can be had from them, and the car will hit redline if you really want to.

Hi All. I have just bought my first toyota. Love Jap Cars and have a lexus RX350 for a while now.

I have just moved away from a maxda RX8 to save on fuel! (more miles these days) and went for a 07 Auris 2.0 4D4 TR. (to save some fuel money!)

A few questions:

1: The engine seems to tick on a fraction of a second after turning the ignition off, is this normal?

2: Do these Diesel power chips work and will it invalidate my warranty? The power drop from my Rex is a killer! (but I am thinking money savings - keep thinking... ;o)

3) hen I push the car, especially in 2 and 3, the power seems to fall off at about 3.5-4k revs. I dont think the car will make redline!? is this normal for these engines? (I am used to a rotary than spins upto 9k and has a smooth power delivery ..)I am actually scared to push past 4k as it sounds like the engine is under a lot of stress!

4) Any recommendations on a good bluetooth system that's easy to install?

I am actually really enjoying it, especially the 48MPG! its also effortless and pretty nimble. It would be nice for Toyota to produce a compressor version ;o)

5) is there anything i should be checking for, standard problems with these cars?

1. Yes this is normal

2. Yes they work, Parts King does some great ones (i have seen by review) and I can recomend a company in germany which also sells these but are a little bit more £££, they will invalidate your warranty so remove before you take the car to MrT for a service.

3. Diesel will rarely have anything above 3k, and generally 3.5k is redline (ignore what the dials tell you)

4. The Toyota one is pretty damn good, failing that a Parrot bluetooth Kit would be your best option.

5. Steering column click when turning while reversing slowly? Squeeky Brakes? Failing to start when cold?

Hope the above helps :)

p.s. RX8 is great, but your want the 5 speed ;)

Thanks for the feedback. I am having problems on cold stat, It need the accelerator pressing or it cuts off. Any ideas? I have booked it into toyotoa friday to have a look at.

Also, any idea how much i should be paying for 60k service? Im useless at doing stuff like this myself so looking for the best / cheapest option!

When the car goes in, mention that it struggles on cold start and may need the ECU updating (mine was out of date and I had the same issue!).

As for the service no idea. Does the car have full Toyota Service History? If so try to stomach the higher costs and take it to a Toyota Dealer, a car with full dealer history is worth substantially more.

Off topic but Head Gasket Issues - common fault? Any article on here I can look at?

It pops up on here every now and then. I don't think its common, but once it happens to one person, its worth watching out for.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links