Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Labour Charges On Replaccement Dmf & Clutch

jojojenki

Hi

Can anyone help me with the labour times for doing a replacement dmf and clutch.

My 05 Rav4 is currently in the garage awaiting the parts to arrive and I'm rather curious about the hours they are going to charge me for, he has suggested over 20 hours !! I thought this was a little excessive and had planned for around 15 hours.

Can anybody advise me on the guide lines for this job please?

As if the parts aren't expensive enough !!

Thanks for your help..

Anchorman and friend did it around 9 hours

20 hours is taking the pi**

Is it an independent or Toyota garage? What hourly rate did they quote?

• Like 1

It might take 20 hours with one hand tied behind my back!!!

• Like 1

Hi

Can anyone help me with the labour times for doing a replacement dmf and clutch.

My 05 Rav4 is currently in the garage awaiting the parts to arrive and I'm rather curious about the hours they are going to charge me for, he has suggested over 20 hours !! I thought this was a little excessive and had planned for around 15 hours.

Can anybody advise me on the guide lines for this job please?

As if the parts aren't expensive enough !!

Thanks for your help..

My car was picked up at 0900 hrs and was ready to collect at 1600 hrs, I do not know if only one (technician) worked on it though :unsure: Stew... However some dealers have a menu price for jobs Ie Toyota allocate 10 hrs for a specific job, but the garage find shortcuts + still charge you 10 hrs..
  • Like 1

I'm sure they taking me for a fool, it's an independant garage that initially quoted me £30 an hour, but then said they couldn't repair it as they didn't have the equipment and it had to be subbed out to another garage who charge £40 an hour..

They told me it would take a full day but are now saying 20 hours plus, I need to go armed with advice as there's no way I'm paying that..Do you know of anywhere I can print info that states repair times ?

Only had the car 6 weeks !! but sold as seen so no going back there... they !Removed! well saw me coming.. begining to wish I'd not bothered... even though its a beauty !!

Thanks so much for your replies

There is an overview in the pinned section. Print it out and take it.

Back in 1995 the book price at dealers was £600 for a new clutch for a 1994 model.

Some garages quote thinking the engine comes out from above - it doesn't. Drops down.

However my fav garage does the clutch change in situ and my last clutch change was £600 and that was fitting a competition paddle clutch thats cost £300 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Should take about 10hrs.

By the way did you get Toyota to contribute towards the costs.

Mine (55 plate XTR d4d, 60k miles) is booked in for the same job next week

Toyota offered 50% discount if done at Toyota Garage…

£1699 inc vat before discount.

• Like 1

Should take about 10hrs.

Any specific reason for the discount or are they just short on work?

Should take about 10hrs.

This is not written in stone, but as its a known problem Toyota extended the warranty on the DMF to 5yrs, not sure of the spcific mileage allowed, But i know to my own cost that they will not tolerate anything outside 5yrs, mine was 5yrs + 8 days old with 23000mls, and had been fully seviced 3 wks prior, I no longer use that dealer :angry: Stew
  • Like 1

Toyota Leeds wouldn't have anything to do with it, and wouldn't even admit there was a problem.

Anchorman, I need your help - the garage have hit a problem, they have fitted the clutch and its fine, and although the clutch us bitting there is too much travel on the clutch pedal ?? they say there is ddefinately no air in the system, but it could be a valve ?

Do you know what the problem might be ?

hope you understand cos I certainly don't have a clue...

Back in 1995 the book price at dealers was £600 for a new clutch for a 1994 model.

Some garages quote thinking the engine comes out from above - it doesn't. Drops down.

However my fav garage does the clutch change in situ and my last clutch change was £600 and that was fitting a competition paddle clutch thats cost £300 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish we were a little bit closer to you, we have a little Hyundai Getz too that has now decided it wants a new clutch too...

Toyota Leeds wouldn't have anything to do with it, and wouldn't even admit there was a problem.

Anchorman, I need your help - the garage have hit a problem, they have fitted the clutch and its fine, and although the clutch us bitting there is too much travel on the clutch pedal ?? they say there is ddefinately no air in the system, but it could be a valve ?

Do you know what the problem might be ?

hope you understand cos I certainly don't have a clue...

There should be a clutch accumulator on a diesel which steps up the stroke. Make sure they have put it back!

You can expect the new clutch to be much lighter and bite near the floor.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, car back on the road and all in all a reasonable price. Garage accepted 10 hours for job and £400 cash, clutch kit and DMF from techiclutch on eBay £200...

Rather pleased considering Toyota quoted £1750..

Should take about 10hrs.

Got the 50% discount after writing a letter (to head office) explaining my loyalty to Toyota brand (blah blah) and the KNOWN problem with the DMF that it had supposedly fixed around the (52) plate model,

lay it on thick with regard your disappointment in Toyota, as you bought your Toyota for its reputation in reliability etc. etc.

Hey Presto 50% Discount (they give you a ref. no.) offered over the phone IF when the car is stripped down it IS a manufacturing fault and NOT wear and tear.

So be as certain it is the DMF as you can.

Request the Discount to be put in writing so you can take it with you to the garage.

• Like 1

quite remarkable that if they confirm it is a manufacturing defect they give you 50% off. Really should be 100% discount :censor: for such a major defect

• Like 1

They are not saying it is a manufacturing defect, they are reaffirming the owners loyalty and expectations.

• 8 years later...

I don't know were yous are taking your cars I can do then in and out in 6 hours and less 

think some garages really take the pi**

to many T breaks there having or a college trained tech hahahaha pathetic they are 

• Like 1

Toyota dealer quoted me just over £700 to supply and fit a clutch, or £1400 if the dmf needs replaced on a 2009 d4d

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links