Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Tracking Adjusters

madmoody1

hi there

I have a 1999 rav4 freesport and i,ve got a problem with the rear tracking.

The passenger rear wheel is way out and is crabbing round corners 1 way.

I took it to have it geometry checked and they said they said they couldnt adjust it.

They didnt even really try to be honest.

I then took it to toyota as i see they were doing a 4 wheel electronic alignment for £80.00.

They then told me they coulnt do it as the rear tracking adjusters are seized and wanted 500.oo to change them.

What a joke as they also wanted 275.00 to change the 2 drive belts so i went to the spares shop and got both belts for 15.00 and spent an hour changing them.

What crooks.

I then phoned toyota dealer spares and they told me all the adjusters for both sides were 90.00.

Does anyone know what sort of job they are to change?

And also is it possible the radius arm is bent.

I,ve been under it to look and a mate who is a mechanic and visually it all looks fine.

Any advice would be appreciated as the tyres are badly worn and i want it sorted before ruining the new tyres

i have had new bush put in on the trailing arm, and i replaced the two lower are assemblies so that was:

2 bushes

4 washers

4 bolts

4 eccentric nuts

2 toe adjusters eccentric sleeve

2 cambers adjusters eccentric sleeve

this was about £120

plus two arms at about 90 each

there is a very high chance they are seized a mechanic told me he has worked on a 4-5 year old rav and they were seized

I think when the rear adjusters are seized you have to get the trailing arms and therefore bushes etc etc etc, but wouldnt have thought that much.

I went to get mine done when I lowered car and put spacers on but they were seized too, ive just left them.

Is the trailing arm what the hub and spring sit on?

I thought it was a radius arm but maybe that was my old mini ;-)

The bolts and adjusters are what seems to be gone so the list in the 1st post by mr billy seems right.

I phoned toyota and they said both sets (toe and camber adjusters were around £90.00 so can i do them without changing the arm?

You'll find all the info on rear suspension in the pinned section.

I've had both my RAVs laser aligned. It did take the guys a bit of work to free off number 1 but they managed. And I can say the improvement was great!

Thanks for all the advice guys and mr billy for the diagram.

I think i,ll smother the aligners in wd40 and give it a bash to loosen them 1st.

Failing that i,ll change the adjusters on both sides for the sake of £90.00 and a few hours elbow grease.

Then it will be back to a decent tyre place for the laser alignment.

I dont want to fit the new tyres but just cant get away with them anymore as its the Mrs little baby :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links