Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Airbag Light

johnkevin

Dear all, please please help....

I have been a toyota owner all my life and swear by the make! I am also quite good with mechanics but have become unstuck with a troubled Carolla. The history in brief is that I purchased a CAT-D (insurance write off/damaged - repaired vehicle) 2006 1.4 D-4D Carolla. A dealer who traded-in the car repaired sold it yo me. After purchasing the it I noticed the airbag light had been covered up!!! I dutyfully removed the ink to find the airbag light was on! Here the fun starts.

I took it to the main dealer, where they ran a complete diognositics and couldn't read a fault - they suggested changing the combination meter/instrument panel. I did this with second hand one, needless to say the problem still persisted.

I then took the car to a reputable auto electrician, they did a total check on the wiring and also couldn't get a reading and cannot suggest a solution.

I have just spoken to another main dealer where he suggested changing the spiral capble in the steering wheel, he suggested this due to the fact that I cannot get a fault code reading!

This is becoming a very expensive gussing game, where I have a feeling that the ECU may be the main fault.

Can anyone please suggest a solutions to my problem and if it is infact the ECU or should I change the spiral cable and keep going until I can get a fault code!

Warm regarded

did it actually get a new airbag fitted or was it just removed and the wires doctored??

The air bag light is another warning indicator that may illuminate on your dashboard.

Airbag problems can be much more complicated to repair than let's say check engine light problems.

In fact it is recommended that servicing of this important safety system should be performed by professional technicians.

Since the supplemental restraint system (SRS) has been deployed since the 80s the problem of the illuminated air bag light is becoming more common on these aging systems.

Keep in mind that these are very complicated systems and many things can cause the warning light to flash, stay on or not come on at all.

In a perfect world everybody would have a scan tool capable of communicating with the SRS module.

Some vehicle manufacturers require a scan tool for diagnosis.

Other manufacturers automatically flash the code from the dashboard warning light.

You'll have to get an auto repair manual for your specific vehicle to determine how to read the flash codes because procedures will vary greatly between manufacturers.

About the airbag indicator light This dashboard mounted indicator is designed to let the driver know that the system is ready to do its job.

Of course this would be to deploy the quick inflating bag during a hard collision. On most vehicles the lamp is operated by the main control module.

The light should illuminate when the key is turned from the off to the on or run position for a bulb check.

On some models the light will flash briefly while the system runs a complete diagnostic.

But when the engine is running the light should go out.

If a malfunction is uncovered during the quick automatic diagnostic test the airbag light may stay on continuously or even flash.

This could mean a problem that would prevent the airbag from deploying in the case of an accident.

For this reason diagnosis should be performed as quickly as possible.

Common cause for airbag lights

One of the components that get a constant workout in any SRS system is a part that most mechanics will call the clockspring.

The airbag clock spring allows for constant electrical contact to the steering wheel mounted module and related components at all times.

The clock spring is located between the steering wheel and the steering column and contains a conductive flat ribbon that maintains this needed contact during steering wheel rotation.

This important component feeds power from the vehicle's Battery up to the module and is ultimately responsible for providing the needed energy to deploy the bag.

If electrical contact should be disrupted between the module and the airbag clock spring a code will be set and the air bag light may flash to indicate that there is a problem.

Since this is one of the only components that are constantly moving in the SRS system it is also one of the most common failures.

Replacement of the SRS clockspring requires the removal of the airbag assembly and the steering wheel as well.

Some special tools may be required to complete the repairs.

Accidental deployment when removing the air bag is not common but is possible.

For these reasons it is best to have the clock spring replaced by a qualified auto repair shop.

• 7 months later...

Hi, thanks to all who responded and yes the correct name is 'Airbag Senso'r and not 'Airbag ECU'. The solution lay in the wiring of the dash airbag light and not the associated devices & sensors - how I determined this is that the Airbag light on the centre panel/below radio was indicating that everything was ok by initially flashing when ignition was turned on and then extingushing - this was not reciprocated by the dash light, as there are on the same loop, dash light ws losing it's earth. By tracing the wiring I was able to identify the defect.

Points to note - if any airbag light stays on constantly and not runinng a check when ignition is turned on - chances are it may be the wiring rather than any of the expensive conponents - how you check this is compare the two lights to see that they are doing once turned on, thats if your vehicle has one, if light does it checks and goes out whilst the other stays on - then I would say its a wiring fault - the light must blink to show there is communication with the Airbag Sensor.

Thank you to everyone

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links