Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intermittent Grinding Noise - 01(y) Celica Vvtl-i

Big_Sid

Hi,

I've just bought a 2001 (Y) Celica 190 VVTL-i from a main dealer. I've only had the car about a week and at first thought I was just being a bit paranoid, but now I'm positive that it is making a strange noise.

The noise is a sort of intermittent griding/whoosing. It is fairly quiet and goes in a steady rythym that increases with speed. You can only really notice it when doing about 20-30mph in 2nd or 3rd on a smooth road surface. It does not get worse on cornering, and it stops when you dip the clutch.

I thought it might have been something like a slightly warped brake disc catching the pads on each wheel revolution, but since I discovered that it goes away with the clutch dipped I'm worried that it could be a gearbox problem. I assume it must be being caused by a component that is spinning only while a gear is engaged, as if it was a wheel bearing/brakes/driveshaft/diff I would have thought that it would still be present even with the clutch in but it ain't.

Has anyone else come across this sort of thing? I've already spoke to the Garage about this and they couldn't tell me anything over the phone, but have agreed to arrange for an engineer to come out on a road test with me so I can demonstrate the noise to him on Friday.

Cheers - Sid.

jus a thought sounds like the clutch release bearing.

cause it runs free wen ur foot is off the clutch and there is pressure on it wen ur foot has depressed the pedal

hello mate

i had the same problem with mine try changing the gearbox oil and it should resolve your problem

in another forum it has been discussed in much detail

try www.celica-club.co.uk and check under gen 7

good luck mate :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links