Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I Wanna Surf

FXI612

Hi, I wanna surf, can anyone help?

I'm looking at buying a Hi-lux Surf but there are a few things i'm not sure about.

Are all Hi-lux surfs imported?

Are there any draw backs with imported vehicles ie. Insurance, spare parts ect. ect?

Will there be any problems putting a private plate on an imported vehicle?

And above all what faults (if any) should I be looking out for when viewing a Surf? :help:

I would flush out the cooling system, you might be lucky, I wish I had I might be 1200 quid richer right now, get it checked over what ever, and if you are spending lots ask for a guarantee, I have read they don't use any form of anti freeze in Japan and hence no corrosion inhibitors, I have since found our :crybaby:

• 2 weeks later...
I would flush out the cooling system, you might be lucky, I wish I had I might be 1200 quid richer right now, get it checked over what ever, and if you are spending lots ask for a guarantee, I have read they don't use any form of anti freeze in Japan and hence no corrosion inhibitors, I have since found our :crybaby:

what do you mean by no corosion inhibitors? and what do you recomend I do when I get my surf soon. sorry to appear thick, only without joining this club I wouldn't have even thought of anything like that so thanks already.

That's total nonsense about the anti-freeze,they have snow and frost the same as us,and they have very high temps in parts,also all of the surfs that I have imported have had ant-freeze in them,it looks like it's been in there since new,so that's why you are recommended to give it a good flush.

Hi, I wanna surf, can anyone help?

I'm looking at buying a Hi-lux Surf but there are a few things i'm not sure about.

Are there any draw backs with imported vehicles ie. Insurance, spare parts ect. ect?

And above all what faults (if any) should I be looking out for when viewing a Surf? :help:

Surfs are all imports,but they did sell a version called a 4-Runner in the UK for a short while,most of them were V6 3.0ltr petrol so very juicy.

Try http://www.lifesure.co.uk/ they were cheapest for me,most Toyota main dealers will supply parts within a couple of days,but any service parts can be bought from http://www.milnerconv.co.uk/INDEX.HTML

No

Some of the 2.4's have had problems with the head cracking,due to a design fault in the waterways,but apart from that make sure that everything electrical is working including the rear window.

Maybe that is true about the antifreeze but I still say flush it, and don't fooled intothinking any of them are above head cracking because I was told this and it is crap, they are all prone to it, some are far worse, the 2.4 head is far cheaper than the 3.0 but you maybe lucky, go to a reputable importer who has an agent in japan such that it can be looked over.

Sorry for seeming such a pessemist but i wish i had been told the truth instead of being reassured, mine died within 600 miles of being on UK roads, but, i hadn't done the preventative maintenance I recommend to you.

Maybe that is true about the antifreeze but I still say flush it, and don't fooled intothinking any of them are above head cracking because I was told this and it is crap, they are all prone to it, some are far worse, the 2.4 head is far cheaper than the 3.0 but you maybe lucky, go to a reputable importer who has an agent in japan such that it can be looked over.

Sorry for seeming such a pessemist but i wish i had been told the truth instead of being reassured, mine died within 600 miles of being on UK roads, but, i hadn't done the preventative maintenance I recommend to you.

After all the problems that you've had I understand why your very bitter about your Toyota,,but in reality Toyota's are no worse than any other make of car when it comes to head problems,look at the Land Rover range the early diso's and the Freelanders have both had problems.

It's all down to design faults and normally happens in the early days of production,Toyota have sorted the problems with the 2.4 head with a new casting,and to be fair to them it only happens when the vehicle has reached the 100,000km mark,so this could be down to a lot of things like bad servicing and neglect.

Unlike us the Japanese do not tinker with their vehicles,most do not even know how to check the tyre pressures or the oil,they leave it for the garage to do when and if it gets serviced,and you know what happens with servicing,when the car is new you get it done at the correct intervals,but once it gets to about 4-5 years old your not so keen,so it gets left until something needs doing or it fails the MOT test.

You say that the 3.0ltr 1KZTE engine also has problems with the heads,well I would like to see evidence of this,as apart from your own and a couple cases in Australia these are the only ones that I have heard of,and none of the Surfs that I have imported have had any problems,that's why I only deal with the 3.0ltr models.

Most importers will have an agent who buys the vehicles from the Japanese auctions,but they will only rely on the pre auction inspection sheet,they wont do things like compressions test's unless you pay them to,all they want to do is get it on a boat and out of the country,so that they get the money paid into the bank,and the previous owner doesn't give a sh*t as the vehicle will be thousands of miles away in a few weeks,so you pay your money and take a chance like any other person who buys an import.

You say that the 3.0ltr 1KZTE engine also has problems with the heads,well I would like to see evidence of this,as apart from your own and a couple cases in Australia these are the only ones that I have heard of,and none of the Surfs that I have imported have had any problems,that's why I only deal with the 3.0ltr models.

It was the bloke at the cyclinder head centre actually, he had them on the shelf for quick turn around, he said they all have cracks in even when brand spanking new, and when I explained my problem he wasn't suprised.

Maybe the surf doesn't stress that engine like an Ace does? I would have thought between them the stress was equal, ace is weightly but the surf has 4wd so who knows, I don't want to argue, all I know is I am 1200 quid lighter, the car I bought as a bargain, a Toyota, suddenly turned out to be a nightmare, I am not bitter at Toyota per se, just dissapointed to think even the !Removed! can't get it right all the time, when you buy into something like Toyota, you sort of expect stuff to be bullet proof, and when I started reading about head failures I thought what the hell have I done, everyone said don't worry this is only the smaller engine, then mine shat itself, so I am roughly 1500 quid to the bitter side of happy.

It seems to be running quite well, I can't relax over the temperature, always watching that guage, i do intend to grab a Mason alarm and fit an electric fan, so then maybe I can get on with enjoying it??

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a Surf since July last year and have found mine to be as tough as old boots. It does a 70 mile round trip to work each day. It has been off roaded and the only problems I have had have been self-inflicted (broke the anti-roll bar bush retainer on one side- but I did get it airborn over a large hump!). I also towed a 3.5 tonne camper, which got bogged down, out of the mud over the Easter weekend. Oh, I tow a caravan and box trailer with it regularly.

It seems that the head problem affects a batch of 2.4L Surfs that were produced in late 1991 to July 1992. Most were recalled in Japan but some slipped through the net and the problem affects around 12% of imports, according to a survey on an owners site.

My Surf is the best car I have owned in a long time.

Have a look at the FAQ's page on www.hiluxsurf.co.uk and do a search on the forum.

• 1 month later...
I've had a Surf since July last year and have found mine to be as tough as old boots. It does a 70 mile round trip to work each day. It has been off roaded and the only problems I have had have been self-inflicted (broke the anti-roll bar bush retainer on one side- but I did get it airborn over a large hump!). I also towed a 3.5 tonne camper, which got bogged down, out of the mud over the Easter weekend. Oh, I tow a caravan and box trailer with it regularly.

It seems that the head problem affects a batch of 2.4L Surfs that were produced in late 1991 to July 1992. Most were recalled in Japan but some slipped through the net and the problem affects around 12% of imports, according to a survey on an owners site.

My Surf is the best car I have owned in a long time.

Have a look at the FAQ's page on www.hiluxsurf.co.uk and do a search on the forum.

I have my surf since january of this year. She's never let me down! and you know what? I'm OBSESSED with her!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links