Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Does The Aygo Have 'soft' Paint?

AYGOgummy

Just wondering, is the Aygo's paint classed as being "soft" in terms of cleaning it etc? Only because I know that Japanese cars often have soft paint, but I'm not sure if the black used on the Aygo is a Toyota colour or a Peugeot/Citroen colour! Can anyone help? Just because it'll determine which product I buy :) Cheers!

Just wondering, is the Aygo's paint classed as being "soft" in terms of cleaning it etc? Only because I know that Japanese cars often have soft paint, but I'm not sure if the black used on the Aygo is a Toyota colour or a Peugeot/Citroen colour! Can anyone help? Just because it'll determine which product I buy :) Cheers!

I think that all paint now used is 'soft'. It is water based !!

I think that all paint now used is 'soft'. It is water based !!

Isn't that why all cars are now "lacquered"?

Metallic paints have a top lacquer coat as a rule. Even non-metallic black has a lacquer coat. It's not dependant on whether its water based or older solvent based paint.

Any good quality paint cleaning and waxing products should be fine to use on the Aygo's paintwork. However, the softness of the cloths used is important also. I use yellow duster cloths to polish off the paintwork. They can leave small amounts of yellow fluff, but they are soft enough not to cause any marks on the paint. For applying polish or tar spot remover, I use the softest J-cloths I can find.

The biggest risk to damage is pieces of grit getting trapped in your cleaning or polishing cloths, so it's vital to get the car spotless before any waxing or polishing. microfibre wash mits are good, sponges are bad!

• 2 weeks later...

So lets say household steam cleaner and microfiber cloth on the paint work would be bad you say im thinking about giving it a try as some people are saying its easier less mess and more economical and safe on the car, like i see people on Youtube using them on their cars a much more powerful versions to, and also using it on the Aygo's alloys as well

I agree with "Bos". There are actually 3 types of car paint, and Bos has mentioned one. Being wter based, its got to have a lacquer on top fopr protection. There was a hole load of complaints years ago on Watchdog TV programme where Peugeot vehicles that wear parked under tres, and bird dropping made the paint "run".

I ve included a article about different types of paint:

http://www.dtconcours.co.uk/paint-types.htm

A steamcleaner on car paint? I really don't think that would be a good idea, probably will soften and lift the lacquer coat. Car owners manuals always recommend that cars are washed with cold or lukewarm water.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links