Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Carina E Gli Automatic 1993 Not Starting!

Frank1946

Since I have got the car in 1993 i haven't encountered any problems with the car. Last Saturday I moved my car forward to do something on the driveway, after i had finished i reversed the car back, then on the following day (Sunday) i tried to start the car up, it fired once, then it cut off, and since then it hasn't been starting up. I have replaced the spark plugs with brand new ones, and the air filter pipe which was ripped, and it still isn't starting up. Any suggestions on what i should check for problems?

Thanks

Do you have fuel?

Do you get any spark at the spark plugs?

Are all fuses at both fuse boxes ok?

Are the relays ok?

I answer you with some questions because you didn't mention much more than that you have new spark plugs. I hope that these questions might lead you to where you should start looking. A petrol engine needs petrol, spark that start the ignition and of course some fresh compressed air to the cylinder. I assume that you have a good compression in the engine as you wrote that you had the engine running the other day.

Do you have fuel?

Do you get any spark at the spark plugs?

Are all fuses at both fuse boxes ok?

Are the relays ok?

I answer you with some questions because you didn't mention much more than that you have new spark plugs. I hope that these questions might lead you to where you should start looking. A petrol engine needs petrol, spark that start the ignition and of course some fresh compressed air to the cylinder. I assume that you have a good compression in the engine as you wrote that you had the engine running the other day.

I have more than half a tank of fuel, I do get sparks at the spark plugs, there is a spark in the lead, I also have checked ALL of the fuses at the fuse boxes and they are ok. Where are the relays situated?

Thanks

(also do you know where the fuel pump would be located?)

The fuel pump is in the tank under the rear seats.

Most of the relays are placed near the fuses.

WOuld there be a spark at the plugs if the timing belt has snapped? The camshaft will not move then and the camshaft turn the distributer?

• 1 month later...

Are the plugs firing at the right time?

Could you have swapped any leads over?

Since I have got the car in 1993 i haven't encountered any problems with the car. Last Saturday I moved my car forward to do something on the driveway, after i had finished i reversed the car back, then on the following day (Sunday) i tried to start the car up, it fired once, then it cut off, and since then it hasn't been starting up. I have replaced the spark plugs with brand new ones, and the air filter pipe which was ripped, and it still isn't starting up. Any suggestions on what i should check for problems?

Thanks

Hi what happens if you spray some Easy Start into the intake? just take the flexible hose off between the air filter box and the thottle body and see if it tries to start > if it does you know you have a petrol feed problem or possibly a slipped timing belt what mileage has it got?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links