Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto high beam - does it actually work properly?

mikmikmikmik

My old Auris has better AHB than this 2020 Corolla.

I have seen the various posts on here about AHB.

On this Corolla it switches on even when there are streetlights,doesn't auto off with oncoming cars, auto off when slowing for traffic lights.

I have had to turn AHB off completely because it is rubbish.

So that's lane alert / lane centering and now AHB have turned off cos they just do not work properly, and am very wary of using radar cruise because if I change lanes coming up to a stop, it doesn't apply the brakes.

Is there a recall to get new software for any of these "safety systems"?

Thanks.

Don’t know about recalls, but I don’t have any problems with it nor in the mark3 either. I drive quite a lot on country roads, and sometimes in through towns and I wouldn’t be without it.

• Like 1

On my old 2021 Corolla the AHB wasn't at all reliable, it would often cause me to be flashed by oncoming traffic. 

The AHB on the new 73 plate is amazing, pretty much flawless.

• Like 2

There's no official update. At some point it did improve just a bit, maybe there has been some adjustments, but not a proper effort to really make it better. 

I wrote a complaint to Toyota Denmark, and the answer shocked me. They have no knowledge to any AHB not working properly, and since it's not a problem, it can't be fixed. 

Now that's a straight lie. The dealer had multiple costumers complaining, and all he could do, was to send it to Toyota, and hope some fix would be made. 

On my '19 it's unreliable but to be fair humans do tend to dip the lights earlier and more often than is strictly necessary.

When a vehicle is approaching round a bend or on an incline it might not be necessary to dip the beams until the last minute (if at all).

If the main beams are simply lamps that are angled differently (ie; not actually brighter) then there will also be times when dipping the beams makes no difference.

Just because there's a vehicle 'somewhere in front of you' doesn't mean that its driver will be dazzled if you put main beams on and nor does it mean that the driver will benefit if you dip your lights.

A computer can determine the impact of main beams better than we can if programmed correctly. In my opinion the '19 Corolla's programming is 'close' but not good enough.

I will disagree on this matter and I am against these auto lights function plus really against all latest automotive headlights technology. 
First of all these blueish LED’s lights are way too powerful, second the light change patterns and those auto high beams never work perfectly as they should and always cause trouble for the rest of the road users, including pedestrians, cyclists etc.
The auto system is not as good as manual driver input, and the high intensity leds are so bright that the slightest movement of the car up or down as the car suspension deal with road surfaces or car load sends these bright lights straight into the eyes of oncoming drivers.
Late high beam change and the playing light patterns on those adaptive headlights can cause fatigue to the driver in front when dark. 

Have you been followed recently by a new car (suv) with these bright auto lights on a dark , twisty B road or country lanes? 
If yes you probably know what I am talking about. 

The car from behind sends lights like a night club projectors all around the car in front and this is so uncomfortable for the driver in front , add the fact that the most new cars are suvs with softer suspension and higher positions of the headlights plus these powerful and automated blue lights and night driving has never been more difficult. 

Most new Toyota cars are offenders including Priuses as phv cars , Yaris, Yaris cross and rav4. 

The cars with one of the best headlights and less offensive to others from what I see at nights are Corolla excel 2019-2022, Mercedes’ S class , but these when had static light projection on straight motorway drives. 
These are my views from my daily ( night) drives.  

• Like 1

Sorry to go against the grain here but the AHB on my MY24 Corolla seems to be one of the better auto systems on the car.   No issues at all.

I did a 400 mile return trip yesterday, much of the return journey after dark (which was its first long trip with headlights/AHB in use).   Didn't miss a beat.   I never felt the need to override it and was never 'flashed' for being slow to dip my main beams.   Maybe the system has been quietly upgraded from the MY23 facelift.

• Like 4

The AHB on my 2020 Corolla definitely doesn't work as it should, I would often get flashed when I used it so now it is switched off.  It's good to know that it has been improved on the facelifted model.

I've used mine once in 2 years. No idea if it would work properly regularly.

Here to add that my 21 plate AHB is rubbish too. Keep it turned off and do it manually like "the old days"

Annoyingly the system on my previous car, a Fiesta, worked brilliantly.

• Like 1

I have added AHB to I wouldn’t be without to CVT and air conditioning, and reversing camera. Other toys I could live without if necessary.

• Like 1

My 2019 Excel is the third car I’ve had with AHB and is the only one that is anything like okay. This is an auto system that CANNOT be right all of the time so still needs overriding now and again. We humans can see the outline marker lights at the top of a semi-trailer before it gets to the brow of a hill, the auto system can’t.

All these systems are getting better but they are not human!

• Like 2

The AHB on my 2020 Corolla is pretty hit or miss. Best way of using it is as a last resort, I always turn my high beams off manually rather than letting the car decide, but AHB is useful if you don't have time to reach the stalk and its quite reliable that way 

Did find a setting for boosting the sensitivity of the light sensor - can't remember the exact name of the setting. But it turns the lights on in lighter conditions so I don't know if this also makes the AHB more sensitive too and more reliable. Its getting too light up here in Scotland to try it! 

I never liked the auto high beams in my20 and my22 Corolla, however on my23 Excel it has adaptive high beam not auto and this is excellent, never been flashed and can see really well, not sure if adaptive was extended being Excel models for my24

6 minutes ago, simond64 said:

I never liked the auto high beams in my20 and my22 Corolla, however on my23 Excel it has adaptive high beam not auto and this is excellent, never been flashed and can see really well, not sure if adaptive was extended being Excel models for my24

Looks like it is still on MY24 but for Excel only:

image.thumb.png.0b81aaa7a33c7af2ecb71f86612c3896.png

1 hour ago, simond64 said:

on my23 Excel it has adaptive high beam not auto and this is excellent

What's the difference between AHS and AHB? 

I have AHB on my 2023 Icon and this is excellent, never been flashed and can see really well.

9 hours ago, Extreme_One said:

What's the difference between AHS and AHB? 

I have AHB on my 2023 Icon and this is excellent, never been flashed and can see really well.

AHB is what it says, it switches between low and high beam. AHB stays on high beam and shades out parts of the beam for oncoming traffic and traffic you are following, results in a greater lit field of view as not the entire beam goes to low. I find I can see a lot further and pick up objects I’d miss without this system

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, simond64 said:

AHB is what it says, it switches between low and high beam. AHB stays on high beam and shades out parts of the beam for oncoming traffic and traffic you are following, results in a greater lit field of view as not the entire beam goes to low. I find I can see a lot further and pick up objects I’d miss without this system

You are describing matrix lights.

2 hours ago, Trewithy said:

You are describing matrix lights.

Try them, you won’t go back

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links