Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox Question...

RichE

Our Auris has the 5 speed box which at motorway speeds is noisy with the 1.4D engine.

I'm aware that the face lift Auris with the same engine has a 6 speed box, question is, is it a direct swap? (I'm thinking yes!)

Can anyone confirm?

Our Auris has the 5 speed box which at motorway speeds is noisy with the 1.4D engine.

I'm aware that the face lift Auris with the same engine has a 6 speed box, question is, is it a direct swap? (I'm thinking yes!)

Can anyone confirm?

i was wondering the same thing for the 1.6 engines.but could be very expensive.

It is more likely to fit the diesel, and less likely to fit the petrol - I could be wrong though!

With enough money anything is possible, but would it really be worth spending the cash to fit?

The only reason I am entertaining the idea is because ive seen a couple of 6 speeder 1.4D-4D accident damaged cars on eBay, and if I could sell my 5 speed box on, then presumably the costs wouldnt be that bad?

It is more likely to fit the diesel, and less likely to fit the petrol - I could be wrong though!

With enough money anything is possible, but would it really be worth spending the cash to fit?

the later model 1.6 has a 6 speed box,bot but a different engine.but possible it would fit.

have you removed the instrument panel yet.

Not yet - haven't had enough light when I have got back from work (one of the tubes in the garage has blown and is proving difficult to replace :-/

Don't know about the 1.4 D-4D, but the gear box swap in the 1.6 (1ZR-FE) taken from the 1.6 Valvematic is impossible! I have asked a mechanic at the local Toyota dealer as I am driving a 1.6 vvt-i Auris and the thought of taking a gear box from the 1.6 valvematic has crossed my mind as well, but the mechanic's words were (I quote): "No way! Both engines and transmissions are completely different concepts and there is now way to swap the two gear boxes".

Fitment wouldnt be the only issue, there is the ECU to consider with its shift lights as the ratios will be different

The ratio's would be different, but surely engine revolutions would be the same no matter what ratio?

I.e 4000RPM in 2nd gear is 4000RPM in 4th gear So presumably the ECU wouldnt know any different - or am I wrong? lol

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been thinking about this too, the fuel economy is crap on the motorway 1.6vvt (5 speed). I think you would need the gearbox if it fits, the shifter cables and the 6 speed shifter. The ecu would be different, but I can live with a dodgy shift light

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links